Enid Blyton Newsletters

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Tony Summerfield

Enid Blyton Newsletters

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I had an email this morning asking a question about Enid Blyton Newsletters and I felt a bit guilty that we had nothing on the website about them, so at it was a nice sunny day I thought it would be a good idea to spend four hours on my computer doing something about it! The difficulty was where to put them as really they should go in a new section, but I have long since realised that no new sections are likely to be added to this website so they have fitted uncomfortably into Continuation books.

There were 21 of these starting in 1990 and finishing in 1997. The first seven had a two page letter from Imogen, and Gillian took this over in No. 8. The centre pages were devoted to children's contributions throughout the run and from No. 6 onwards there was a collectors' page by Norman Wright. The last three issues were glossy magazines in full colour thoughout after Chorion had taken over the company and they decided to use it simply for advertising merchandise. I know that Gillian was very upset that when they produced the Centenary issue in August 1997 it was the first time that neither she or Imogen had been asked to write an introductory letter. At this time Chorion decided it was too expensive and there were no more.

They are quite difficult to find copies of now.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ewsletters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton Newsletters

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for adding the Enid Blyton Newsltters to the Cave, Tony. I have a few issues, but by no means all of them.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The newsletters look fun and I like the varied and colourful covers. Sorry you had to sacrifice topping up your suntan though, Tony! :wink:

Particularly attractive to me are Number 9 with the Craggy Tops cover and Number 17 with the Treasure Hunters cover. It also makes a change to see a Secret Seven jigsaw game illustration being used for Number 7, and some artwork of the 1990s Famous Five TV cast being used for Number 19. It's a pity that Chorion altered the nature of the magazine for the last few issues.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

It's great to see the newsletters! I've never seen any of these before, so it's good to be able to see them in the Cave now. Thanks for all your work, Tony. :D

And I agree Anita, I think the ninth cover is particularly striking.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

What a lovely edition to the site. The purple coloured cover is a bit in your face. But I love the ones with Enid on, and some of the F.F illustrations for the books.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

They look very interesting Tony, thanks for adding them to The Cave.

I thought at first they were the newsletters that were included in the Society Journals, but it seems I was thinking of something else.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

What a fantastic addition to the forums.
Thanks for posting these lovely covers Tony,they are most enjoyable to peruse.
There's not even a sniff of any Maxey artwork to keep the discerning purists happy too! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Really interesting, Tony. Did you consider putting them into the Periodicals section?
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Thanks Tony, the covers are particularly nice. Lovely to see something with Gillian & Imogens imput.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:Really interesting, Tony. Did you consider putting them into the Periodicals section?
No, I didn't really, as everything in the Periodical Section is actually written by Enid Blyton, whilst nothing in the Continuation Books section is. I agree that they don't really belong there as I said originally, but I was also thinking of other things that should be on the site if possible such as all the Society publications, but they wouldn't really sit anywhere comfortably either although many of them were written by Enid. Some of these can still be seen in the shop, but most are long out of print.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The newsletters are a welcome addition to the Cave. I particularly like No 7 and No 9. Sadly, I've never seen any before.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Really interesting, Tony - I'd never seen these before. I'd have loved having these as a child - or even an adult! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member