Message Board

Important forum announcements.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Message Board

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Keith Robinson wrote:I have a theory that forums are crawled more often simply because of their ever-changing nature; I wonder if the home page will be crawled so quickly? We'll see! This is a great, and simple, way to test engines. Whenever I make up a word, I first check to see if it exists anywhere. Best to have no results at all to avoid confusion.
It looks as if the answer is , 'yes', Keith, as Anita has already found your latest Google test!
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

The message board of this site

Post by Nepolean »

I would be glad if the length of the message board is extended so that we can view a lot more messages.
It could be as long as it is in Keith's site - enidblyton.net. The idea is to see my messages staying on the home page for sometime. I am sure that most people would like that. Can this be done?
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've merged your thread with an older thread, Nepolean. When we set up the Message Board almost three years ago, we experimented with different layouts and originally had more messages showing. However, it was decided that we didn't want it to dominate the home page so we finally settled on five. As we normally receive only a couple of messages per day, that means that two or three days' worth show on the home page. Of course, older ones can be read by clicking on "See more messages". Once you've done that, there's also a "Show all messages" option.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It must also be noted that the Message Board on enidblyton.net is the prime purpose/feature of the site, and there are no forums where most of the discussions can take place, as with us, here. However, with the Society site, the Message Board is only a very minor part of the emporium. :D
Society Member
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

Post by Nepolean »

Thanks for answering my question, Anita and Moonraker. :D
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Timmylover2
Favourite book/series: Five on Billycock hill, The secret Island, Fami
Favourite character: Julian, Peggy, Jack, Bets

Post by Timmylover2 »

Moonraker wrote:It must also be noted that the Message Board on enidblyton.net is the prime purpose/feature of the site, and there are no forums where most of the discussions can take place, as with us, here. However, with the Society site, the Message Board is only a very minor part of the emporium. :D
Well there is Talk About Blyton!
has posted this.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm not sure if there was when I wrote that post, maybe...maybe not. I may have been a bit mean in saying that the MB was the prime purpose of the site, especially considering the book reviews that I have written! There is much to entertain on eb.net, click all the links and enjoy!
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi Tony , where is the new message board? i know where the secret messages are and the forum of course as i use them but havent found the new message board :) .
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

by the way, Who really is barney?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Susan Webster wrote:hi Tony , where is the new message board? i know where the secret messages are and the forum of course as i use them but havent found the new message board :) .
I don't think there is any "new" message board Sue. I think people are talking about the messageboard on the home page, the one edited by Barney which I know you have posted on before. That and the forums are the only two places I know of to post messages. There is also a message board on Keith's site though I rarely look at that one myself.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lucy-Ann
Favourite book/series: Adventurous Four/Enchanted Wood/Shadow Sheep Dog
Favourite character: Shadow, Lulu

Post by Lucy-Ann »

Excuse me, isn't Barney of the Message Board Tony's dog and Tony is really the one who's replying those messages. Just that i always imagine i'm talking to Barney the dog though :) However, of late i feel someone else has taken over, am i right?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You are both right and wrong there Lucy-Ann! Barney is my dog, that is correct, but it is certainly not me replying to the messages, surely you are not trying to say that a dog can't type! :lol:

On the rare occasions that I do come onto the Message Board I post as myself and it is normally to say can we have less chat. The message board was originally set up so that people who didn't want to register but had a sensible question to ask could do so quickly. As you can tell by some of the questions, most of the users are now children who aren't all that interested in the answer to the question that they ask, but they just want to see their name 'in lights'! I wouldn't have the patience to reply to someone who wanted to know something like - 'did Enid prefer dark chocolate or milk chocolate'!

It is nice on special occasions, such as Christmas, to see Society Members like Julie and Poppy posting good wishes, but at other times the board is not really serving the purpose for which it was set up - sensible questions about Enid's life and works - it was never intended as a place for people to simply make statements, particularly when some of these are already registered forum members, so could post here instead.

I have waffled on long enough, but I think you can tell from this reply that I do not post the replies on the Message Board and nor am I all that happy with some of the current use it is getting - I am just grateful that Barney is a great deal more patient than me!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I am just grateful that Barney is a great deal more patient than me!
If we bribe him with bones could he be persuaded to bite the ankles of Enid Blyton's greatest Fan? :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh, John, there'd be quite a few in my list! Inane questions such as Tony has mentioned are ridiculous. Barney must have the patience of a saint! Enid must have followed Jesus' command: "Suffer the little children to come unto me." The children flock in their droves, and we suffer! Barney has taken a leaf out of Enid's book - as to some extent have Fatty and Bets on Keith's site. I have had the privilege of meeting Barney on many occasions, and he is a wonderful dog with many talents. :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony wrote:Those of you who come onto the website through the Home Page will have noticed that we now have a Message Board. The reason for this is that we have many visitors to the site who are not interested in registering on the forums. If any of these visitors wish to leave a comment or suggestion, or even ask a question, they can do so quickly and easily without having to become a registered member of the forums.

Many people register on the forums just to ask one question and that is the last we ever see of them. Now they have an alternative place to post their question without having to register here, posting their one and only post and then disappearing into a black hole!
Oh that that were still true. It seems to consist mainly of Indian (?) children asking questions such as Where did Enid's parents get the name 'Enid' from?, Is it hard writing all of those books? and I have The Smugglers' Caves and Other Stories, 1st edition! What should I do with it? Over at EnidBlyton.net is is even worse!
Society Member