Home page

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Home page

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:I always used it as well since I always log on at the homepage and peruse Barney's messageboard before entering the forums vis one of the links to latest posts.
Same here. I'm already missing having the links, as they were a rough "at a glance" guide to recent forums activity.
Lucky Star wrote:Its no big deal for me but I do wonder if the forums might lose traffic as a result?
I think we'll be able to tell by looking at the visitor statistics over time (must admit I can never remember how to access them, but I know Tony checks them). It is a concern if this change means that fewer people are attracted to the forums.
Lucky Star wrote:Perhaps a bigger and more prominent "Look At The Forums" button would be an idea?
I agree that it would be a good idea to make the forums more prominent, if we can't have the links.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:My link takes me directly to the "View New Posts", as that is what I wish to do when accessing the Society website. I guess we all have different needs, but I am quite happy with things as they are.
My bookmark also takes me directly to the new posts. I've never looked at the new posts on the home page.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

I miss those links on the home-page. I have never used the "recent posts" link I am afraid. I guess I will have to figure out something else to keep abreast of current topics.

I have another problem with the site though - the pages don't load quickly. Often I click a link - including to log in - and it just sits there, and then I have to click the link again (and sometimes again for the third time). This happens all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? For the record, I have broadband access, so network speed can't be the problem.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have that problem too - glad it's not just me, if you see what I mean. I assumed my computer was slowing down for some reason. I find double-clicking on 'view new posts' usually works, though not always. I've even resorted to going out altogether and then returning. A bit frustrating, but I'm glad to get there in the end!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

70s-child wrote:I have another problem with the site though - the pages don't load quickly. Often I click a link - including to log in - and it just sits there, and then I have to click the link again (and sometimes again for the third time). This happens all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?
I have that problem too, but it only started two or three months ago. I had assumed it was just my computer slowing down!

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Me too! It doesn't happen too often, but if the page doesn't load in 5 seconds, I click again and it usually loads immediately.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:Me too! It doesn't happen too often, but if the page doesn't load in 5 seconds, I click again and it usually loads immediately.
Same here. In the last two days also, whenever I click on the Forums link from the homepage I get a yellow bar along the top of my screen say something like "Firefox has blocked a pop up from this site".
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: In the last two days also, whenever I click on the Forums link from the homepage I get a yellow bar along the top of my screen say something like "Firefox has blocked a pop up from this site".
Go to Tools>Options>Content, John. Click on Exceptions to the right of Block popup Windows
(which should be ticked), put in the Society web address as an exception and see if this cures the problem.

If you find you get annoying pop-up adverts, you can always delete the 'exception'.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanksw Nigel, I've done that. Lets see if it works. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:In the last two days also, whenever I click on the Forums link from the homepage I get a yellow bar along the top of my screen say something like "Firefox has blocked a pop up from this site".
I have pop-ups blocked, so I get that message bar whenever a new PM pings into my PM-box. The message bar disappears when I open the PM. Just thought I'd mention that in case yours is also caused by PMs, LS.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:In the last two days also, whenever I click on the Forums link from the homepage I get a yellow bar along the top of my screen say something like "Firefox has blocked a pop up from this site".
I have pop-ups blocked, so I get that message bar whenever a new PM pings into my PM-box. The message bar disappears when I open the PM. Just thought I'd mention that in case yours is also caused by PMs, LS.
Good point, Anita. That happens when I access the Home Page at work, and I have a PM awaiting. That could well be it, John.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Er Yes now you mention it it occurs to me that on the two or three occasions it has happened I have had a PM waiting for me. :oops: Well done Anita. Is there no end to your talents? :D

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Er Yes now you mention it it occurs to me that on the two or three occasions it has happened I have had a PM waiting for me. :oops: Well done Anita. Is there no end to your talents? :D
In that case, making an 'exception' to the EBS website should clear up the problem, John. And no, there is no end to Anita's talents! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:Is there no end to your talents? :D
Very probably! :(

To anyone reading the above posts, be careful not to confuse 'PMs' with 'PMS'! :wink:

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Just caught up with this - many thanks once again to Keith for getting the teccie stuff sorted out promptly :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017