A "Jill and Mary" version of the Adventurous Four

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Paul Austin

A "Jill and Mary" version of the Adventurous Four

Post by Paul Austin »

Can any one help me?
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: A "Jill and Mary" version of the Adventurous Four

Post by MJE »

Paul Austin wrote:Can any one help me?
     Maybe not directly in full detail; but as a general hint, I would suggest you look at editions printed before about 1970 - that seems, generally, to be when the rot really set in.
     If you have any doubts, it might be worth writing to the seller and asking them to take a look at the book and see if the characters are named Jill and Mary. Some sellers actually display sample pages of books on the page where they are selling the book, and this may include names of characters. I think some eBay sellers do this, and I feel pretty sure many books sold on Amazon do this too.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The 1970's Dean version kept the original names - in fact the name change is relatively recent - 1990's - so anything before that should contain the real names. However, if you're talking 'original text' without any alterations, I think I would go for early editions - 1940's - 1960's, just to be sure. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

i'm disabled and live with my parents so don't have much money. I was hoping someone here had copies they no longer needed and could part with them for free.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Perhaps that is something that could have been mentioned in the opening post. Just a thought, but people usually include those sort of details when making a request, especially if they looking for a freebie.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Also, unless someone in Australia has one, there'd be the overseas postage cost, which isn't cheap. :?

Perhaps you could try Australian eBay? This one is in Melbourne and is going for only $6, which is very reasonable (the equivalent of £3 here in Britain), though I can't see what the local postage is. It's the same edition I read as a child, which definitely had Jill and Mary: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THE-ADVENTUR ... XQ3kNTiEgd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Just scrolled down the page and it's $3 postage to anywhere in Australia, or can be picked up in person from Doncaster.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)