Hidden Users

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Moonraker

Hidden Users

Post by Moonraker »

One of the first things I do when looking at the Forum, is to see who is online. I wonder why anyone wishes to be 'hidden'? It seems amazing to me (as happened this morning), that in the whole, wide world, only two people were on the Forum; myself and oldbookfan, thousands of miles away, in Australia!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Hidden Users

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Sorry Nigel, that's probably me! Both Matt and I are hidden users - I did it accidentally in the first place and then never got round to changing it - but I'm often on line checking for new messages - not deliberately trying to stay hidden, but you don't always want to see my name ther!

Best wishes
Tony
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Hidden users

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ah, but I like my invisibility cloak!

I suppose it doesn't matter really; just a matter of personal preference. If you're hidden it means you don't show up on the "Who is Online" page, nor does it show what you are doing here- which forum you are browsing, etc. So it's for people who wish to preserve a bit of privacy. However, as admin, Tony and I can see hidden users anyway. :lol:

Like Tony, I am on here a lot and I prefer people to think I have a life outside this site!

(Have moved this thread to the "Comments and Suggestions" category, which is where it should have been posted.)

Matt
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Points taken! Thanks for clearing that up :)
Society Member
oldbookfan

Post by oldbookfan »

aww gee moon, you didnt have to sound like i have a disease!!! :(

i saw you too, and my thought was....oh look, moon is here too, isnt it a shame we cant talke to each other about our common love of books.

Ya see, moon, even from "thousands of miles away", we are only a keystroke away. If I lived in England, would it make me feel any nearer???

As for the original subject here, well, at first I didnt know I was hidden. I think this only came to my attention when I made a posting. Anyway, what Im trying to say is, lots of people come into this site and look (lots and lots) but then they go away. Many dont post. Many dont get involved. They probably dont know either. Or they want to be.

Think Ive said enough 'cept for.......how come soooooooo many people visit this fabulous site - you only have to read the numbers on the forum boards - and we only have 30 something members????? So guys, if you are reading this, think about joining up. You can get some fabulous reprints and other good stuff.

Cheers
Lee
oldBourney

more people would find it if

Post by oldBourney »

(no criticism people) there were some metadata for the search engine's spider to nibble at, like

<meta name="keywords" content="blyton, enid blyton, enid blyton society,famous five,secret seven, findouters,soper">

:D
They have their dreams and do not think of us ....
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hey, oldbookfan, I never thought you had a disease; in fact when I saw you were online (it wasn't you that was hidden) I sent you a private message. Believe me, you felt really close to me! :lol:
Society Member
Matthew Roberts

Meta tags

oldBourney wrote:(no criticism people) there were some metadata for the search engine's spider to nibble at, like

<meta name="keywords" content="blyton, enid blyton, enid blyton society,famous five,secret seven, findouters,soper">

:D
I swear one these days I am going to mix up oldBourney and oldbookfan! :D Good idea, Georgie, I had overlooked the meta tags. Cheers for that!

And please don't be afraid to give us criticism. I know we rather jumped on sobres, but, well, he/she deserved it. One can be critical and remain civil, no?

Matt
oldBourney

Post by oldBourney »

you'll have to forgive Sobres .... he lives in Southampton
They have their dreams and do not think of us ....
Matthew Roberts

oldBourney wrote:you'll have to forgive Sobres .... he lives in Southampton
:lol: