Website Suggestions

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Re: Website Suggestions

Post by Farwa »

Fiona1986 wrote:I don't know that the forums are even capable of such a feature.
Which is why I put it in "Website Suggestions".
Fiona1986 wrote:Not to mention the huge impact opening multiple tabs all at once could have on the user's browser.
Well, it depends upon the person's speed, which is why it is just an option if somebody wants to, and is able to.
Fiona1986 wrote:I really wouldn't want to open ALL new topics (even from a single area) because then I'd no doubt have a bunch of threads I wasn't even interested in.
There are some cases in which you do. I, too, am not always interested in every single topic on a forum, but sometimes I am, and there comes the use of the suggested button.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To re-explain my suggestion, I said that a button to open all topics in any forum, not view them, would be a good idea.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'm even more baffled now. I can't find anything wrong with the way topics are presented and the methods of browsing them.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Farwa wrote:To re-explain my suggestion, I said that a button to open all topics in any forum, not view them, would be a good idea.
But why would you open topics and not view them? What would be the point? :? :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Seems rather like laziness to me, to suggest that Keith add such a complicated function just so that someone doesn't have to go to the effort of clicking on a few threads - especially as, if stated, you only OPEN them and don't necessarily view them.

But while we're just suggesting things, maybe the forums should be recoded to pay us £1 for every reply we post. I mean, this is website suggestions after all.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Fiona1986 wrote:But while we're just suggesting things, maybe the forums should be recoded to pay us £1 for every reply we post. I mean, this is website suggestions after all.
Yep. And let's make it £1.50 if we quote someone else's reply in our post. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

The software could be adapted to include thought activated comments that post for us wirelessly without the fag of tapping away at the keyboard?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You guys crack me up! :lol: I love it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:The software could be adapted to include thought activated comments that post for us wirelessly without the fag of tapping away at the keyboard?
We might also have to have our brains re-wired for that. :P (At least, I was trying and trying to think this comment into the website, but it just wouldn't go through.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Lucky Star wrote:But why would you open topics and not view them? What would be the point? :? :?
Of course I open something because I want to view it, Lucky Star. A lot of of forum members misunderstood me and thought I was asking for a way to to view topic titles, when I was suggesting opening them at once. That's why I wrote that comment.
Fiona1986 wrote:Seems rather like laziness to me, to suggest that Keith add such a complicated function just so that someone doesn't have to go to the effort of clicking on a few threads
"Laziness" and "quickness" are two separate things, and in my opinion, this quickness. If you want to quickly check in, and have barely a minute, you could use this function, and quickly read a topic while the others finish loading.
As for being complicated, it would be a breeze for any programmer to add. I know quite some people who just know basic programming, but they affirm they could easily do such a thing. I would not have suggested it if it were a very complicated process.

All the same, if all the forum members, while fully understanding what I am trying to say, still do not feel the need for this feature, then we could move on to some other suggestion.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I somehow doubt if Keith would even consider this idea really. The site has everything that is required to function adequately. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
LillyLops

Post by LillyLops »

I am new and I am lost ???
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

What/where are you trying to find?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

'The Books' is a good section to start with, LillyLops, as it has most of the Blyton-related discussions on books and characters. You could try using the search facility (top right) if you're looking for something specific.

There's also the 'Introduce Yourself' section if you'd like to tell us something about yourself and what you enjoy reading.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

I am quite saddened by the censorship that takes place on this site.

In the Sales section of the forum, my recent comments about Rob Houghton was meant in an entirely friendly and conciliatory way. I was not angry at anything Rob or anyone said. I was poking a little fun at Rob. I was careful to use emoticons to show that. I juxtaposed two comments - one before Rob knew it was my book he was commenting about, and one after he knew. He assumed my comments alluded only to the first of his comments.

And then I see that I cannot respond to his comments there. My disappointment is that the first reaction to any disagreement is censorship, and selectively so. Discussions on race were censored in the “Racist and sexist elements” thread, but discussions of sexism were allowed to continue.

Very disappointed.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I must say I tend to agree, Liam. It seems wrong that we go to the time and trouble to post comments, only to have them cast to the deletion bin. Surely we are all grown-up enough to be critical of others and as long as we don't get abusive, I see no need for this 'cleansing' of topics.

I notice the "What are you doing now" thread is locked. This is getting ridiculous.
Society Member