Website Suggestions

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Tony Summerfield

Re: Website Suggestions

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:However, it seems sad to me, Daisy, that we have 46 pages of this topic which seems to infer that Enid did have racist undertones. Wouldn't it be better to discuss the joy and pleasure she gave, the wonderful descriptive pages of her fantasy books and the warmth and high morals she instilled in her books?

However, feeling that this thread has gone on far too long, like Rob, I won't be assisting in lengthening it more.
Having gone round in endless circles where it was quite clear that the protagonists were never going to agree, this thread had moved on to more palatable things for about three pages and then our friend from Australia brought it all back to square one with a provocative post. Our two friends from America quickly responded and it was quite clear that the circle was back to the beginning and we were going to start all over again. As the owner of the website I felt that enough was enough and deleted all three posts.

As the moderator of two websites can you honestly say that you have never deleted something that you think is going to cause trouble? Perhaps you think it is okay for you to delete things, but not for me to do so. :evil:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: As the moderator of two websites can you honestly say that you have never deleted something that you think is going to cause trouble? Perhaps you think it is okay for you to delete things, but not for me to do so. :evil:
Phew! I thought you were agreeing with my post to start with!

I can honestly say I don't recall ever deleting posts on The Common Room just because an argument has developed. Being an adult site with political discussions and general discussion, the temperature can rise at times. However, if it is getting out of hand, I will issue a warning. I would also delete a post that was racially abusive or contained a personal attack on someone. I won't tolerate or allow trolls to join, who post just to provoke arguments.

Nothing is deleted on the second website, just not everything gets approved.

The deletions on this forum are a completely different kettle of fish. Two people felt embarrassed that they might have upset someone with their posts (understandable), but Liam was not upset at all (again, understandable). There is little connection between your deletions and any I might have made or will possibly make in the future.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry for any disappointment, but it's not long since several people were saying that they thought one or two contentious threads were threatening to overshadow the lighter, more friendly ones.

Since the thread about the title of your Famous Five book was regretted by the person who started it, Liam (as you know, they hadn't realised the book had been written by a forum member), it was felt best to leave the topic behind and move on. Of course, it's fine for people who have read Dissecting the Magic of Enid Blyton's Famous Five Books to comment on the content (indeed, reviews would be very welcome from Fiona and others). So if anyone would like to resurrect the relevant thread (link below), please feel free:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ng#p198330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker wrote:I notice the "What are you doing now" thread is locked.
Nigel, you may be looking in the wrong place for the 'What Are You Doing Now?' thread. It's in General Natter and has been open all day as usual. A few posts which had reopened the discussion from the locked thread (about Liam's book title) were removed and put in the 'Closed/Removed Topics' section, so perhaps you were looking there.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Having gone round in endless circles where it was quite clear that the protagonists were never going to agree, this thread had moved on to more palatable things for about three pages and then our friend from Australia brought it all back to square one with a provocative post. Our two friends from America quickly responded...
Oh whew, I thought you were talking about me there for a moment! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, though — I didn't see what happened on the sexism/racism thread (and am relieved I didn't), but if it really was about to go around in those same very heated circles again, I understand and support the decision to remove those posts. I used to be an assistant moderator of another forum and we would quite frequently remove posts if they were felt to be too provocative or otherwise offensive. Mind you, we also took the time to PM or email the poster(s) in question, explain the decision to remove their posts, and encourage them to rewrite what they were saying in a more appropriate way (if that was possible!).

Having been on forums where heated political discussions go round and round in endless circles and no-one stops for long even when a moderator drops the hint, I must say I think I prefer the more "interventionist" approach and I'm relieved that Tony and Anita took it in this instance. They don't very often step in like that (not that there's often any need!), so although I didn't see the posts on that thread, I'm satisfied that they felt they had good reason to take action.

As for the thread about Liam's book title, I didn't mind so much whether it stayed or went, but it was a little embarrassing for those involved and I agree it's better closed.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Courtenay wrote:Mind you, we also took the time to PM or email the poster(s) in question, explain the decision to remove their posts, and encourage them to rewrite what they were saying in a more appropriate way (if that was possible!).
We sometimes do that but there just isn't time if multiple posters are involved, or if the change or deletion needs to be made promptly. People who had been following the thread would be well aware of the complaints about going round in circles, and would realise why the posts were removed.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I am personally very grateful for the way Tony and Anita run this site and strive to keep the forums a friendly and happy place to visit.

I would not like to be a moderator,even if Anita did provide me with her big moderator's stick!

So it's a huge thank you from me for all the hard work they do every single day.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hear, hear!

Great animation, Pete. :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I heartily agree too Pete. Very well said. I'm sure you speak for us all in saying that.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

And I agree too! 8) Many thanks, Tony and Anita. (I'm sorry if my earlier remark about PM-ing people when their posts are removed sounded like a criticism — it wasn't meant to be.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Yes, I heartily agree with that too - Tony and Anita do a consistently great job; they have done for years, and I feel they always act with tact and courtesy, and have the forums' best interests at heart, even though sometimes it's a case of not being able to please everybody.

The internet is full of hazards and unpleasantness - egos bashing egos, hot heads, abusers and 'trolls' - but coming onto these forums is like stepping into a warm, pleasant, friendly atmosphere. It's a safe place, which is particularly great because we've had/have a lot of youngsters posting.

Not to mention the fact that our moderators are also Blyton experts, which is very handy for all of us too! :D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I started the thread about Liam's book, and I also asked that the thread be closed. If posters had the power to delete threads they had started, I would have deleted it days ago before it heated up, but I couldn't, so asked a moderator to delete it instead.

It wasn't an important thread and I personally felt it didn't add anything to the site, so feel it was better locked. It will of course eventually disappear - which is just as well. I've been a member of these forums since 2005 and hate to think I caused disagreements. I've apologised and now just want to move on. :-)

A thread discussing the merits of the book would be most welcome - it's always good to hear opinions from those who have read a certain book, and it might encourage others to purchase it.

8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thank you for some of the kind comments above, but I feel I must respond to some of the earlier comments, although I will try to be careful what I say as I have no wish to offend anybody. I very rarely delete anything, but I take full responsibility for my decision to delete three posts from the Sexist and Racist thread. Several of our regulars had complained that it was getting tedious as it was just going round in circles and I agreed, which is why I deleted the posts when it looked as if it was going to start at the beginning of the circle again.

This website is freely open to everybody and when people register we have no idea who they are or what they might post, and therefore some scrutiny is necessary. I think it is a bit unfair to compare us with the "adult" Common Room website, which has about fifty odd members, most of whom have been carefully 'cherry-picked' and invited to join, many from other websites including several people from this one. If you carefully choose who you want on your website I would think it far less likely that you will have any problems and I have to accept Nigel's statement that he has never deleted anything that he didn't like. The other site is slightly different of course as if he doesn't like a post he doesn't have to put it up in the first place, so no deletions would be necessary. Of course the same applies to our Message board, but not of course to these forums.

So to conclude there was nothing wrong with the posts I deleted, I was just respecting the views of several regulars who had posted that the thread was getting tedious and repetitive. I apologise if I hurt anyone's feelings by doing so, but still feel that I made the right decision.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I agree that when things get out of hand a posting should be locked, or deleted, etc. As I stated on the sexism thread, it just goes around in annoying circles and gets tedious, and also doesn't look appealing to guests reading.

Happily as mentioned The Common Room is only small and complaints and arguments don't really happen a lot either, and doesn't need the amount of admin input as this site does, thankfully. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, everyone! Not all decisions are easy but we do the best we can.

Love the image, Pete! :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I think it is a bit unfair to compare us with the "adult" Common Room website...
Without wishing to prolong this, it was you who first brought up The Common Room forum, not me! I felt I needed to clarify. :D

I'm so pleased that once more we are all happy bunnies, playing nicely in the garden. :D
Society Member