Problems in the Cave

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Problems in the Cave

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Gah! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I didn't want to start a new thread but I've noticed a few things lately.

The newest editions of a few books are missing their publisher/illustrator details in the numbered list. If you click on the thumbnail image there's a small yellow box appears under the last number but the line is blank. It definitely happens on all the latest Secret Series books (bar Mountain as that got missed) and I think I've seen it elsewhere but I can't be sure.

Also I've spotted a few Malory Towers covers that aren't there, they seem to be British ones too.

One set are from 1994 https://bargatebookshop.com/product/eni ... ry-towers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other from 2018 and look quite nice and in keeping with the originals https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-THE-FIFTH ... 2955262869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wondered if there's a reason these aren't in there as I always thought the cave was completely comprehensive in every way :)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Cave aims to be as comprehensive as possible, but new editions will keep on coming out!
Fiona1986 wrote:Also I've spotted a few Malory Towers covers that aren't there, they seem to be British ones too.

One set are from 1994 https://bargatebookshop.com/product/eni ... ry-towers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you mean 2014, Fiona?
Fiona1986 wrote:The other from 2018 and look quite nice and in keeping with the originals https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-THE-FIFTH ... 2955262869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wasn't aware of the 2018 editions but they look interesting.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The Cave aims to be as comprehensive as possible, but new editions will keep on coming out!
Yes,that must make it difficult.

If I find an image or buy a book that has a cover that is not in the cave I usually try and scan a decent quality copy of it, then send it to Tony via email and he always inserts it into the cave pretty quickly.

I am a fan of other authors including Agatha Christie, but I have never seen anything as comprehensive on any author that comes close to what Tony has achieved in the cave!

(Oh no - Rob's going to catch me being a creep again!)

:D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, sorry, Anita I meant to type 2014. I was looking at several different editions at the time and got them muddled up. That site has all of those 'crest' editions for sale but they are lacking details on publishers/illustrators etc. I have sent in one or two covers to replace the yellow 'picture missing at present' placeholders but I've not seen a whole edition run missing before. I wondered if the 2014 editions were perhaps remaindered/not sold generally for some reason/were a mock up for a potential edition that wasn't used or something like that.

I like the look of the 2018 ones though that's the only one I've seen so far.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Some versions of the Malory Towers books were only released as box sets, Fiona, and that may well apply to the 2014 and 2018 editions.

After doing a spot of Googling, it does seem that the 2018 editions are only available (except secondhand) as a box set from The Book People:

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/ ... dKEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The vintage-style cover pictures are by Ruth Palmer, who did the covers of the adult Famous Five titles written by Bruno Vincent.

Incidentally, the books are being given new modern-style covers in June (by Pippa Curnick) and a volume of four Malory Towers stories is being released (written by Narinder Dhami, Patrice Lawrence, Lucy Mangan and Rebecca Westcott). A Malory Towers TV series and a Malory Towers stage show are on the way too!

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/hcg- ... ies-899566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-the ... 48653.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've seen the four volume collection advertised somewhere, but I didn't know about a TV series! Not sure I think much of Pippa Curnick's covers. They're set in the 40s I suppose but still have a modern cartoon look at the same time.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Pippa Curnick covers are cartoony but I find the colours attractive (lots of subdued blue, deep red and gold).

The new book is a one-volume collection containing four stories, with the title New Class at Malory Towers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malory-Towers- ... 1444951009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

The crested Malory Towers use the 2000's pc corrected text from memory.