Problems in the Cave

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Domino

Re: Problems in the Cave

Post by Domino »

I think you are all missing a vital factor. It depends on what Operating System is being used - i.e. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8-1 etc. The varying differences people are noticing could easily depend on this.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Now you're just confusing people even more, Dave!! :lol:

(I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.5 and it's all working fine for me)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's not a case of not working, it's just a bit of a puzzle. As the world's problems go, this pales into insignificance!

Go to Val Biro's thread and Poppy has put up a link. On my laptop, this is in red, stays red when I 'hover' over it, but turns to blue after I've opened the link. Other links that people put up are blue from the start, never appearing red!

This is on my laptop, not a smartphone or a tablet. I run Windows 8.1.

Tony, nothing wrong in being a dinosaur - they were on earth millions of years longer than humans!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Moonraker wrote:
Tony, nothing wrong in being a dinosaur - they were on earth millions of years longer than humans!
And their descendants still live - it is said that hens are closely related to T-Rex.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

They are indeed, Wolfgang.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Aren't crocodiles supposed to be the nearest thing to dinosaurs that we have left?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Not really. They certainly existed in the era of the dinosaurs. The closest relative of the dinoaurs today has got to be the iguanas. Birds are definitely descended from them, though. Fairly recently, the remains of a dinosaur with feathers has been discovered.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

I was just wondering about the formatting of some of the book reviews in the Cave e.g.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Tree+House" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My screen reader cannot read them. I looked at the source code and saw that there were no paragraph markings in the body of the review. My screen reader can read the titles, headers, captions, etc. (all of which are separated by <p> and <div> codes). But it cannot read the review itself, and was wondering why this doesn’t have the normal formatting that would allow it to be read by a screen reader. I’m guessing the reviews are inserted into the html code rather than converted to html. I can read other reviews, like the Famous Five, and the source codes of those have paragraph divisions <p></p>.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm sorry, Liam, but I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about, far too technical for my mind! Having said that it appears to me to be exactly the same as every other book in the Cave, nothing different at all, so perhaps the problem is your end!
Liam

Post by Liam »

For example, this line/heading “Review by Nigel Rowe” I can read/hear. It is enclosed by <div> codes. <div class="dthead"><a name="review">Review by Nigel Rowe</a></div>

Or this from the FF reviews I can read/hear:
<p>The Famous Five are among Enid Blyton's best-loved creations and countless children have gone adventuring with them since the publication of <i>Five on a Treasure Island</i> in 1942, the first of twenty-one full-length adventures and numerous short stories.</p>

But the paragraphs of Nigel’s article itself (and others) are not - it starts with italics codes instead of paragraph codes <p> as does the Famous Five reviews:
<i>Hollow Tree House</i> was first published by Enid Blyton in 1945, by Lutterworth Press, and was illustrated by Elizabeth Wall. Rather like <i>The Six Bad…

I’m not an html expert myself, but that seems to me to be the difference.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I took a quick look at the source code, and yes, there are no paragraph tags, so it's pure text, but it works with browsers because they have a preformating embedded if there's no information available. I'm not familiar with screen readers or the conditions they require to function, so I can't give you any advice how to deal with it :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Which screen reader are you using Liam? I couldn't get Windows Narrator to work at all (couldn't make head nor tail of it to be honest, but that's Microsoft for you!), but I downloaded the free open-source reader NVDA and was able to use that to read reviews in the Cave with no problem. I'm not all that familiar with screen reading software but it doesn't seem to me the HTML encoding would make that much difference.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Liam

Post by Liam »

I'm using NVDA. I can read some reviews in the cave. It's those that don't have the paragraph coding that seem to be the problem. Are you able to read the review of this link:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Tree+House" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

It reads whatever I hover near with the mouse, so as I move the mouse down line by line it slowly reads the whole review. I'm not sight impaired though, so I have no problem locating the start of each line with the mouse. Do you use the keyboard shortcuts Liam?
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Liam

Post by Liam »

I can read most pages by hovering my mouse. It's just some of the reviews I cannot read. I can't explain why it would read some pages and not others. No, I don't use the shortcut keys. I use both a screen reader and magnification program (Windows Magnifier).