Problems in the Cave

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Problems in the Cave

Post by walter raleigh »

I've had another play around with NVDA Liam and I'm still unable to replicate your problem with any of the material in the Cave Of Books. Maybe you could try and play around with the settings or even reinstalling, the version I downloaded yesterday worked "straight out of the box" as it were.

I must say it seems like a very useful program to those who are visually impaired. Although my eyesight is okay at the moment (except for very small type) it isn't getting any better, which was why I was so intrigued by the subject of screen readers. I'll probably need a similar device in the future and it's reassuring to know technology has advanced to such a degree. I'm just sorry I can't be of any more help.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Thanks for trying, Walter. It's not a big problem. It just would be nice to read everything. Hopefully I'll figure out the problem in the future.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson is our webmaster. If you contact him he might be able to help, Liam. I don't understand why websites display or sound or operate differently on different devices, and why there can't be a standard formatting.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Thanks, Anita. I'm wondering now if it is not a Windows 8 problem.
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

While not exactly a problem per se I was wandering round the Cave Of Books earlier (don't worry, I was properly equipped - torch, ball of twine in case I got lost, etc.) when amongst the illustrations from "The Enchanted Wood", I spotted this interloper:

Surely he's not meant to be there is he? Is he on the run from the law? Is he wanted dead or alive? And most importantly do I get a reward for locating him?
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for pointing that out, I have now removed it. I can't understand how it got there as it was also sitting in its correct place. I certainly didn't load it there so possibly one or two other lots of Further Illustrations are being mucked up as well! :roll:
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

No problem Tony. I hope the posse didn't have to much trouble rounding him up. If I spot anymore shady characters on my visits to the Cave I'll let you know!

Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

There's one little problem in the cave - when you search "The Enchanted Shoes and other stories" and click on any of the links given, there are 12 stories instead of 13. The last one, "The Christmas Party" is missing.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

It might be that you just have a slightly different edition to the one in the Cave Farwa. There are so many editions of Enid's books (especially foreign ones) I doubt Tony has the time or the room to put every single variant into the Cave. Of course yours may be a rare unknown ediiton possibly even the only one in the world and thus might be quite valuable one day if so...

Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Hmm... but mine is an Award publication, and even the cover is the same as the one displayed on the site. It would be nice if it really was rare though. :-D
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Tony Summerfield

Apart from new discoveries, the Cave is hopefully both complete and accurate up until Enid Blyton's death in 1968 (the anniversary was the day before yesterday on November 28th). After that date I have tried to be accurate on any reprints and new editions of novels right up to 2015! However, there are numerous short story books from the 1980s onwards that are not in the Cave. It goes without saying that none of these are new stories and I therefore haven't had any sleepless nights worrying that books are missing. Quite simply the only short story books that are there are books that I have actually got copies of. If I don't have copies, I have no image, no contents and no publishing date, so unsurprisingly they are not recorded!

I have also tried to include all reprints and new editions of 'character' books, but there is an exception here as I have not included any modern Noddy books. The reason for this is that none of the new stories were actually written by Enid Blyton and therefore do not belong in the Cave.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I have also tried to include all reprints and new editions of 'character' books, but there is an exception here as I have not included any modern Noddy books. The reason for this is that none of the new stories were actually written by Enid Blyton and therefore do not belong in the Cave.
Could they not go under "continuation books", Tony? Or do you mean modern picture books based on the Noddy TV shows, etc.?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Apart from new discoveries, the Cave is hopefully both complete and accurate up until Enid Blyton's death in 1968 (the anniversary was the day before yesterday on November 28th).
Didn't you have a November 29th this year, Tony? :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:Apart from new discoveries, the Cave is hopefully both complete and accurate up until Enid Blyton's death in 1968 (the anniversary was the day before yesterday on November 28th).
Didn't you have a November 29th this year, Tony? :wink:
I have just reinstated it as you can see above! :lol: