Problems in the Cave

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Problems in the Cave

Post by Kate Mary »

I think we might have a bug in the Cave. I went to read the two latest Teachers' World letters but could only get in as far as the list of issues, it is the same with the rest of the main links to the Cave but the quick links appear unaffected. Anyone else having problems?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Problems in the Cave

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for letting us know, Kate. I'm sorry you've been unable to read the letters. The problems we're experiencing at the moment are most likely related to the automatic server upgrade which took place recently (though the Teachers World letters were accessible a couple of days ago, so I'm not sure what has happened since). Keith is in the process of going through everything to check it and tweak it where necessary. I'm sure he'd like to hear of specific things people have spotted, so I'll alert him to this thread.

Keith also updated the forums yesterday (the version we were using was an old one), which is why there are a few small changes to layout and colour here and there.

If anyone else notices anything that isn't working correctly, it would be useful if you could mention it in this thread. Thanks!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I can't view the active topics page either,could that be connected to the same problem?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Same for me, Pete. It would seem Keith hasn't rid the site of all the gremlins yet. :|
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, and sorry people are having problems. I've emailed Keith and given him a link to this thread.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I'm sure Keith will soon have us all running smoothly and efficiently again! :D :D :D

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't know if it's a problem or just a change, but I can't view the forums unless I sign in. I hope it's not a permanent change. I often like to see if there are any new post but don't bother to sign in unless I've got a comment to make. Now I'm going to have to sign in umpteen times a day, just to see if anyone has posted anything new.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I am still able to drop in and out without signing in every time. I don't log out though. Sometimes it defaults to asking me to log in but that only happens once in a while. I thought anyone could see the forums though, whether logged in or not. Maybe some things have changed there too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't log out as such, but if the computer is switched off, it automatically logs me out. Up until now, I can just call up the forums page and view all the most recent posts other than those of a personal nature, such as birthday wishes, and I think letters from children. I could read everything else though, and only needed to log in if I wanted to add my own post. Now if I try and access the forums it tells me something like "The board requires you to log on....."

The control panel at the top of the screen is now slightly different as well, can't quite work out in what way, but I'm pretty certain the 'search' facility is in a different place.

I don't know if this has been designed to stop 'un-desireables' reading our comments, but it's a shame if people can't read any comments at all without registering. I know for one, that I'd never have joined the society if I hadn't been able to read people's thoughts on Enid Blyton and her books before registering myself.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The layout is a bit different isn't it. Not greatly so though. I don't understand why turning off your computer logs you out .. mine certainly doesn't. There may be some little file somewhere set to do so on yours Katharine.
You can't help feeling that these machines have minds of their own at times though!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you tick the box that says "keep me signed in", or words to that effect, you will never need to log in again.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Like Nigel I am permanently logged in - I haven't had to sign in this year at all. I can't see any advantage in logging out and no disadvantage in staying logged in. I really don't think the board has changed much at all and it desperately needed updating as it hadn't had anything done to it for years - I think we were on version 3 and the one that Keith has just installed is version 12! There are still one or two things to be ironed out like 'View Active Topics' (which I have personally never used as I just use 'View New Posts') and I have a problem which doesn't effect anyone else at all as a number of probable spammers have tried to register since the change.

At present I have only found two things that don't work on the main site, you can't get beyond the index if you are trying to look up anything in Periodicals and the same applies to the Journal Catalogue. If anyone else notices any problems anywhere on the website please do point them out.

Incidentally I have just logged out and as a 'guest' I can still read everything on the board exactly as it was before!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's strange that things are different on different computers. I just logged out and was still able to view posts.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I suppose even Keith can't do much about my paltry score of 16 in the quiz either? I was convinced I had done really well,but alas my excitement was quickly quashed and squashed when my measly result appeared at the the end of the quiz.... :cry:

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Seems it's not a case of the computer being switched off. I've been out this afternoon, but other family members have been using the computer. All I did was close down the Society tab, and yet I've still had to sign back in again before I can view any new posts. I'll have to try the 'keep me signed in' option next time.
Society Member