Start a poll or just an ordinary topic?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Start a poll or just an ordinary topic?

Post by MJE »

Hallo.

Sometimes I think of some Blyton-related topic I think would make a good topic for discussion, or which I'm curious to know others' thoughts on - and I have to then decide whether to make it a poll with a number of options to choose, or just a general topic. And, in this thread, I'm just wondering about the specific issue of whether to make it a poll or a topic?
     Sometimes I think an open-ended question for general discussion would be better, without being straitjacketed into set options that one must choose, but I have sometimes noticed that this tends to paralyze discussion rather - as if some people, faced with an open-ended question, don't quite know where to begin, and it all seems to fizzle out, even if the topic seems to interest some people at least. Perhaps some people might respond better to a poll - but then the tendency is (apart from the set form of the options limiting the range of discussion) for people simply to choose their opinions, then say nothing further. (I think I've started a few polls in the past, and I always took care to include a remark encouraging people not merely to make their choices, but to post further and discuss why they chose what they did. But nonetheless, many people chose their poll options promptly enough, but never posted to discuss the matter.)
     Another option is to include a poll in a new topic, but to additionally discuss related issues in the topic. But in doing that, I've noticed that the poll tends to overshadow the other parts of the discussion, so that people respond to the poll, and ignore any comments other than the poll itself.

So would anyone like to tackle these issues, and share their thoughts on the pros and cons of polls vs. topics? I do have a couple of issues I'd like to pose, and I haven't quite decide how to do it. I'll think about it - I must probably post today if I am to at all for some time.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Start a poll or just an ordinary topic?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Polls can be a bit of a problem because members sometimes set one up without giving adequate thought to the options and, once people have voted, the poll can't be altered without all the votes being lost. Also, polls can't be edited by moderators so if someone starts one that is full of spelling and punctuation errors it either has to stay as it is or be deleted. Another problem is that people sometimes begin a poll on a topic for which there is already an existing poll, though the following "All the Polls" thread is helpful for seeing what has already been covered:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 51&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Thanks, Anita. If I decide I'd like to post a poll, would that be all right? Or is it really something you'd prefer that no-one do? And I might add that you probably don't know me quite as well as I thought you did if you thought I wouldn't thoroughly check anything I write for spelling and grammar, as well as well-considered, comprehensive options.
     If I decide to (and you find that okay), I will check the list of existing polls to see if my proposed topic is already covered.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

... but, apart from the administrative problems, does anyone have any thoughts about whether polls or just ordinary topics are better for promoting discussion on a topic?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I know you'd submit a considered and thoughtful poll, Michael, and you're welcome to do so. I was just talking generally, because in the past we've had some hastily-compiled polls which have caused frustration.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:[...] in the past we've had some hastily-compiled polls which have caused frustration.
     Oh, yes, I know all right - I've seen more than a few that might have interested me as far as their topic went, but the options given were so inadequate (either leaving out important options, or uselessly duplicating or triplicating other options in different words) that I decided I was unable to vote at all. In such cases, I may post to the topic with my own thoughts, but not vote in the poll.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Generally the topic might be better, because it let's you properly voice your thoughts. But polls are fun if well-written and unique, and people and administrators alike don't complain at all.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Depending on the poll subject I'd have to say I prefer topics. I find it quite hard to pick a favourite or two favourites - so often I don't vote and just leave an opinion. Or as often happens whatever my answer would be is not in the poll, or I am equally torn by two options.

Perhaps I overcomplicate everything but I don't do well with trying to fit my experiences and opinions into other people's labelled boxes.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Darrell71 wrote:Generally the topic might be better, because it let's you properly voice your thoughts.
Fiona1986 wrote:Depending on the poll subject I'd have to say I prefer topics.
     That tends to be my view, too. But I've found that often, an open-ended question that allows this freedom just tends to silence many people, as if it's just not definite enough for them to begin writing about.
Fiona1986 wrote:I find it quite hard to pick a favourite or two favourites
     So do I, often. In fact, in a poll topic on one's favourite Famous Five books, I made several posts giving my views - but I never actually made a vote, because I can't pick out just a few favourite out of a series - there are so many that I regard about equally.
Fiona1986 wrote: - so often I don't vote and just leave an opinion.
     Problem is, many people just vote (or don't vote) and don't go on to leave an opinion.
Fiona1986 wrote: Or as often happens whatever my answer would be is not in the poll,
     It's a common problem. I went through phases of making polls on various Yahoo groups, and I was most mindful of this, and found I usually had to provide many options, and often bumped up against the 25-option limit Yahoo imposes. My polls tended to be more elaborate and detailed than most are, for this reason.
Fiona1986 wrote:Perhaps I overcomplicate everything but I don't do well with trying to fit my experiences and opinions into other people's labelled boxes.
     I guess I don't either, and I have been accused, too, of overcomplicating everything - although I can sometimes fit my ideas in the boxes if they are well-designed, and plentiful enough. But I think some people work exactly the opposite way to that, and maybe polls are better for them.
     Anyway, my recent topic about the role of animals in Blyton stories was one of the topics I was considering making a poll out of, and I decided against that.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member