Forum Journal / Mag

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Forum Journal / Mag

Post by Poppy »

How about having an Enid Blyton Forum's Journal/ Magazine? Anyone could organise it and each member that visits the forums regularly could be entitled to write a bit in. I know we would have to think about the costs but we could charge people for them just like the society does with their journal.
We could even name it after Enid's Magazine: Sunny Stories! Daisy and Dick Kirrin could write a paragraph or chapter of their story each week, there could be news and things about the forums and 'Post Count Champ!' and competitions and things. I know the famous Five Club were talking about a Famous Five Magazine a while ago.

(Sorry those people I've mentioned- you might not want to be involved at all!)

What do you think?
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Forum Journal / Mag

Post by Moonraker »

What do I think? I think you are the best person to get on with it! :wink:
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Yeah! It's a good idea Poppy!! But we will have to talk to Anita/Keith/Tony about it and decide everything at a formal meeting like thing. Then Anita/Keith/Tony can make all the main decisions and tell us all. Heres what I think we could do: We could have another thread or this one, and decide a date, for example, till 1st November or something. Then everyone will air their ideas, about the working of the magazine, what they think about costs, who can write, or can any forum member, the publishing, how it should be made available, like online or at the ginger pop shop, if it will be monthly, weekly, and all ( yeah, I know the word MAGAZINE means monthly but we can have it weekly or something if enough people can write in it. ) so people will air their ideas on the thread about how the journal should generally work. The on the date we decide ( say 1st November ), Anita/Keith/Tony can read the entire thread and then make all the final decisions! So then we start the mag!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Darrell71 wrote: But we will have to talk to Anita/Keith/Tony about it and decide everything at a formal meeting like thing. Then Anita/Keith/Tony can make all the main decisions and tell us all.
I think I can nip this one in the bud! Keith rarely visits this site and Tony only just keeps his head above water as it is! I would imagine Anita would feel pretty much the same! Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, girls. :|
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Just for the record, I wouldn't be prepared to subscribe to the magazine. I already get the Journal which I feel contains everything I'd want to read, and of course I enjoy reading people's posts on here.

If some people are interested in having some sort of spin off, maybe they could try sending each other private messages/e-mails? Or maybe join another kind of forum. I know Facebook has an age limit, but MSN used to be popular - not sure if that has a minimum age.

If however you do decide to set up a magazine I wish you all the best with it - I'm sure Enid Blyton would be impressed. :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

How about this as a possible idea?

A blog for contributors to write a piece about Blyton and the forums, etc and keep an eye on it. It wouldn't be as sophisticated as Poppy's idea, but it would be one with much less hastle and no one has to ask Tony, Anita and Keith for example.

I would be quite happy to run the blog, that way everything can get checked before it was posted, and everyone who wants to contribute is welcome.

Just a thought. :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think a blog is a much better idea than a journal, but to be honest, why not just say what you think of the forums ON the forums? Why talk elsewhere about a place to talk?

PS Magazine doesn't mean 'published monthly',

"Magazines, periodicals, glossies or serials are publications that are printed with ink on paper, generally published on a regular schedule and contain a variety of content. They are generally financed by advertising, by a purchase price, by pre-paid magazine subscriptions, or all three. At its root the word magazine refers to a collection or storage location. In the case of written publication it is a collection of written articles."
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:I think a blog is a much better idea than a journal, but to be honest, why not just say what you think of the forums ON the forums? Why talk elsewhere about a place to talk?
It may not be just about another place to talk, but maybe for more detailed talking points, or reviews. For example it might be a place to do something I've been thinking about for a while, where I compare the same episode from both series of the Famous Five to find the differentiations from the original story.

The only problem being is that it is possible that things might get a little academic for the younger members. Naturally this probably seems like a ridiculous idea to a lot of people, but whats the harm in maybe giving it a go for a month or so and then assessing the credibility of having it.

Honestly, I don't mind running it, it would certainly give me a project.
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pippa-Stef wrote: Honestly, I don't mind running it, it would certainly give me a project.
Good on you, old thing! I look forward to seeing it! :D
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Pippa-Stef wrote:it might be a place to do something I've been thinking about for a while, where I compare the same episode from both series of the Famous Five to find the differentiations from the original story.
Sounds like a good idea but not sure why it'd have to be a blog? I mean that would fit on the forums fine and be more, er, discussable too. What's the difference between a short article on a subject and a long forum post?

TBH, if I want to talk/read about Blyton I come to the forums and of course I get the journal. I'd obviously read anything you wrote, Stef, but I can't see myself navigating to another site to read the same sort of stuff by any forumite that could just as easily be said here.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:it might be a place to do something I've been thinking about for a while, where I compare the same episode from both series of the Famous Five to find the differentiations from the original story.
Sounds like a good idea but not sure why it'd have to be a blog? I mean that would fit on the forums fine and be more, er, discussable too. What's the difference between a short article on a subject and a long forum post?
Well my problem with a topic like that is that I don't know where to put it on the forum. And of course, its my own musings really- I don't know how interesting it would be to anyone else.

I'm not dismissing the fact that its more a problem to make a discussion about things, but a blog like that might also reach out over the internet and with some careful "product" placing it might draw more people to the forums.

Its partly why I'm proposing a "test" period, to see how much use it would get, who would be willing to submit pieces to the site. So the tv episode suggestion was probably a bad example but maybe something else, a little more general such as a study into Enid Blyton fanfiction.

I don't know, I'm just suggesting it's worth a try thats all, Old Chum :D .
Fiona1986 wrote: I'd obviously read anything you wrote, Stef...
I know you would! You'd be beta reading anything I wrote! :wink: Would I dream of posting anything that important without your go ahead first?

It was just an idle thought anyway. I mean if there's too much opposition I'll shut my trap and leave it be, I was just offering a solution to Poppy's idea and the suggestion that Tony/Anita/Keith had to take on more work!

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Fair enough. If I think of anything good maybe I'll even submit something ;)
Pippa-Stef wrote:Would I dream of posting anything that important without your go ahead first?
I hope not. In fact, maybe I should start vetting your statuses and comments on facebook before you submit them? :twisted:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote:Would I dream of posting anything that important without your go ahead first?
I hope not. In fact, maybe I should start vetting your statuses and comments on facebook before you submit them? :twisted:
Now lets not go that far, Old Girl. It gives you FAR too much enjoyment to correct me. I can't deprive you of that! :wink:

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

As we already have a journal and Tony and contributors do a very good job etc, I don't think that would take off. But I don't really understand about this seperate blogg. We discuss relative Blyton topics on the forum, so where would the blogg be. I know Keith has a Blogg on his site, and he puts down whatever he has to say on that. So isn't that something that Keith would have to add! But I don't quite know what we're getting at with a blogg, when everything we say Blyton related is on this site! Sorry if I'm not sounding very clear, and I'm certainly not criticizing anything said, just a bit unclear. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anyone can set up a blog, there are lots of free sites that once you're registered it's as simple as posting on a forum.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member