Can anyone help with my dilemma?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Can anyone help with my dilemma?

Post by shadow »

I have just been putting away yet more book purchases and have now run out of room under the bed to store them all. Some of the books I collected because of the link to Enid Blyton but I am not sure that I will ever read them again. I came to the conclusion that I might sell some of the story books where I only have a couple out of a set of perhaps 10.

Some of the books that I was thinking of getting rid of are the John Gifford Flower books. Beautiful as they are, I only have three out of eight and it is unlikely that I will get the other five at a cheap price to complete the collection. I also have all the Famous Five TV annuals but have never been a huge fan of the series, so I may get rid of these as well to free up a bit of room. There are other books as well that came with a large ebay lot that can possibly go.

The only thing stopping me is that once the books have gone, I may start to regret selling them, especially if I don't get a good price for them. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do or have you been through this dilema already?
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Yes - storage equipment is your friend.

Post by MJE »

shadow wrote:I have just been putting away yet more book purchases and have now run out of room under the bed to store them all.
The only thing stopping me is that once the books have gone, I may start to regret selling them, especially if I don't get a good price for them.
     ... or if, in a year's time, those books are worth ten times the price they are now.
     I speak as a person who is pretty well unable to part with books. I'd say that, once you've got every square foot of available space filled with bookcases, cabinets, boxes, in which to store books, then it's time to really think about this. If you don't need some of the books to be immediately accessible, those steel stationery cabinets with adjustable shelves would probably be a pretty efficient way of storing lots of books. They can hold a lot of stuff, at typically 6' x 3' x 18". Perhaps put the books into boxes first, then into the cabinet. Quite efficient if you choose the right size and shape of box. Not quite so easily accessible, of course - but you can't have it both ways.
     If you got extra books with eBay lots that were not the primary ones you were after, I suppose you could start with those - assuming you haven't really got to care about them since acquiring them. And if you have partial series and you've kind of lost interest in them, and you don't want to find the rest, maybe they could go next.
     But, as a person who was persuaded against my will to part with my original Blyton collection, I would be very careful about parting with any books that really matter.
shadow wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do or have you been through this dilema already?
     I started this dilemma maybe decades ago. It's getting pretty crowded at my place now.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Can anyone help with my dilema?

Post by Fiona1986 »

It seems to me that any money made selling the books would end up being spent on more books, leaving you back at square one.

Saying that, I'm after a few of the Flower books myself... ;)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

Oh gosh (yes I say this all the time but manage to avoid ra-ther) this is a horribly familiar tale! I'd be very cautious as I gave away a lot of my children's books when I went to university and have spent much of the last thirty years buying them back, usually at a great deal more than they originally cost. And yes, storage is a problem, but I 'd think very very carefully before parting with anything.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Lawrie wrote:... this is a horribly familiar tale! I'd be very cautious as I gave away a lot of my children's books when I went to university and have spent much of the last thirty years buying them back, usually at a great deal more than they originally cost.
     If only parents of growing children realized what trauma they may be inflicting on their children by pressuring them into parting with much-loved books ("You're getting big now - perhaps you're growing out of these books" - it may be difficult for some children to resist, even if they are not *made* to part with the books). I've kicked myself many a time.
Lawrie wrote:And yes, storage is a problem, but I 'd think very very carefully before parting with anything.
     I heartily endorse this advice - fill the house up with cabinets or boxes before parting with books - get high-density industrial or office-style storage if necessary - anything but getting rid of books that are only going to get rare and expensive. Industrial-type storage cabinets may not be as "nice" somehow as home-style storage to many people (doesn't worry me in the least - my house already has no style or elegance at all); but if the alternative is being unable to keep books at all that you treasure, maybe it becomes more attractive an option.
     So would anyone else like to post their own storage solutions here, or give any suggestions or ideas?

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 27 Sep 2012, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I am in no position to advise on book storage. Just yesterday I needed a space to put down an empty glass in my room, and stupidly put it atop a pile of books on a chest of drawers... and caused a book avalanche. I managed to grab the glass, but then had both hands full so couldn't save the books. Thankfully they weren't precious Blytons, but recent nursing memoir paperbacks.

That's my storage, basically. Cram as many on the shelves as possible and then pile up all the rest on any available surface. I have piles infront of piles on top of piles... I even have a pile on the floor - 10 of the Holiday Books (the only un-shelved Blytons in my room as they're quite large and heavy).

I then found myself defending my books to my mother, who came in before I'd picked up the fallen books. She's nagged me for years about "reading something different [grown-up]" and "not just reading the same children's books over and over". And here I am with lots of grown-up books and she wants me to get rid of them :roll:.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sorry, I've no helpful advice either. Just resign yourself to having to step over piles of books for the next decade or so. Hopefully by then either your kids will have flown the nest and you can convert their rooms, or you will have won the lottery and moved to a larger dwelling, preferably with it's own purpose built library. :wink:
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Re: Can anyone help with my dilemma?

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

This thread is a year old--- just stumbled on to it.--- All my dearest Enid Blyton books are old,old editions--- last week I tidily put them all away into my cupboard making space for them.Really, I was proud that I had kept my books fairly well for so many years.I cant dream of parting with any of them--- I don't even lend them to anyone as I know very few people take care of books-- even less Blyton books---.Yes, I am very proud of my Blyton books. :) :) :)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:Yes, I am very proud of my Blyton books. :) :) :)
I would love to see a pic of your Enid Blyton bookcase! Have you subscribed to the Enid Blyton Society Journal yet? I'm sure you would really enjoy reading it! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

My Enid Blyton books are neatly stacked away in my cupboard ---- Pete--- No, I have not subscribed to the Journal--- Iwould like to know what the subscription is like. :? :?
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

We downsized a few years ago and I gave most of my books to charity. I regret it. I still have too many books but my husband bought me a kindle for Christmas and I must say I love it (I was one of those people who said they'd never, ever, be able to view a kindle as a book. I can now take over 100 books with me where ever I go and I'm never short of something to read. My biggest regret is that not all the good books that I had before are on kindle...but I have a few. :)
So basically, what I'm saying is that unless you need to get rid of them....DON'T!
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

deepeabee wrote: I still have too many books....
There appears to be a malfunction with the screen. The words 'too many' and 'books' should never appear in the same sentence together. :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I wholeheartedly agree, Katharine. :D

The problem is there aren't enough hours in a day to read all the available books. To quote our Anita, "so many books, so little time".
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes that's very true Eddie. I sometimes find myself facing the dilemma of re-reading a much loved favourite book, or using the time to try a new author. There's always that fear I might discover another author I really enjoy, which means tracking down and reading even more books! :D
Society Member
Zar Quon

Re: Yes - storage equipment is your friend.

Post by Zar Quon »

MJE wrote:      I speak as a person who is pretty well unable to part with books. I'd say that, once you've got every square foot of available space filled with bookcases, cabinets, boxes, in which to store books, then it's time to really think about this. If you don't need some of the books to be immediately accessible, those steel stationery cabinets with adjustable shelves would probably be a pretty efficient way of storing lots of books. They can hold a lot of stuff, at typically 6' x 3' x 18". Perhaps put the books into boxes first, then into the cabinet. Quite efficient if you choose the right size and shape of box. Not quite so easily accessible, of course - but you can't have it both ways.
And not foergetting to label any boxes up with *exactly* what's in them, or you'll never find anything again without a lot of effort.