Idea!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Idea!

Post by Icecream342 »

How about when you log in and it is someones birthday, say Fiona's. And you want to know. Instead of goingall the way to the bottom of the page, it is atthe top?
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Idea!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's certainly an idea, but there's quite a lot of stuff at the top already so personally I'm happy for birthdays to stay at the bottom. I'm not even sure whether details like that can be changed, to be honest. Only Keith would know and he has got a long list of jobs to do so I wouldn't want to contact him with a query like that.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Lets face it, it doesn't take that much effort to scroll to the bottom of the page. Its not like going down a mine to do 12 hours hard labour of anything. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My feelings entirely, John. :roll:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

OK I just wondered if you liked the idea.
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I like the thought Icey but I don't really see how it would 'fit' in. I think it 'fits' more easily in at the bottom.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

It might be the case that some people don't want their birthday to show, or if they have it in their profile, they may not want it to show so visibly as would be the case if it appeared on every post they made. So it's not something I'd favour, personally.
     In fact, my birthday is not indicated even in my profile, or, to my knowledge, anywhere on this site. This it not because it's such a dark secret in itself, but rather because I know that, if it were, every time it came up, a thread would start with "happy birthday" messages for me, and I really would rather not be the centre of attention for a reason like that. It's just a personal thing, I suppose - I just don't like birthdays, my own or anyone else's, don't like the birthday as an institution or tradition - it just seems so egotistical, somehow. And I wouldn't want my birthday to disrupt the normal flow of conversation on this forum once every year.
     (Mind you, if I became the centre of attention because I made an absolutely brilliant post on the forum, or wrote a wonderful story, that would be quite different, and I might enjoy that (I guiltily admit). But that's quite a different matter, because that at least would be for a real reason which would be worth of attention if it were good enough. But just because your birthday happens to roll around at the dictates of the calendar doesn't strike me as a real reason at all to make such a fuss about someone: after all, it happens for *everyone*, and without any effort whatsoever on their part - it's just a totally mechanical thing.)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

MJE wrote:... they may not want it to show so visibly as would be the case if it appeared on every post they made.
     Sorry - it looks like I misread Icecream's original post - she meant showing on the log-in page, not on every post, as I said.
     Still, it doesn't make a lot of difference to my view - I just don't think this is something that needs to be as visible as that. In one's profile, if the owner chooses to put it there, is quite sufficient.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member