How can I change and most of all KEEP my password?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Moonraker

Re: How can I change and most of all KEEP my password?

Post by Moonraker »

Oh Chrissie, what a complicated life you lead! Why on Earth would you want to use IE instead of Chrome, for a start?

Here is how to change your password:

Forums>User Control Panel>Edit Account Settings>Go to New Password, enter it and also on the line below (Confirm password). Then write your old password in the box below that (the password with letters and numbers you referred to). Then click on Submit.

All done!
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Nigel, believe me I am longing for a less complicated life, but sometimes technical issues just make it very complicated. I'm cursed with technical problems, even my husband noticed that. As soon as André will be back in the US, the technical problems all off a sudden stop :).
It's always like that. Don't ask me why.

Google Chrome caused more and more problems on my computer and André predicted I would be much better off with using Internet Explorer, so he talked me through the uninstalling and installing process via Skype yesterday.

I printed out your instructions and did what you told me step by step, but the password that EBS gave me yesterday was not accepted as the "old" password, just like Tony predicted.
But I'll keep your print out and maybe André can repeat what I was doing and I bet then it will change the password back to the one that I used to have before the change from Google Chrome to IE, because my computer will know it's not me :) :) :)!

But thank you for trying to help me. That's very kind.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:Why on Earth would you want to use IE instead of Chrome, for a start?
I pondered the same thing but thought it was probably safer not to get into that. I can't stand IE.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thanks for your input< Fiona.
But is there an alternative to Chrome or IE? We don't intend to buy Apple computers.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

You can use Opera, Safari (Apple's browser for Windows Systems) and/or Firefox.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've always found Firefox a very good browser, Chrissie (though I prefer Chrome now), so Firefox is the one I'd recommend if you don't want to use Chrome.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, if I was to have a second choice of browser it would be Mozilla Firefox. I actually have Chrome, Firefox and IE all installed on my laptop. Chrome is for my every day stuff and I remain logged in on Facebook, pinterest, my emails, the forums and so on. Firefox I use for certain blogging things. I blog in Chrome but stay logged into the blog's pinterest, twitter and emails in Firefox. And IE gets used once in a blue moon if I need to log into a third email account at the same time. Though lately it has crashed every time so I might have to give up on it and log out of one email account and into the other, oh the humanity!

Also, it's good to have a secondary browser at least as if there's an issue with a webpage sometimes it's a browser error or issue and another browser will work. Happened to me last week - my Goodreads wouldn't produce the pop up to log in via Facebook but Firefox would. Whatever the issue was Chrome had it fixed within a day or so though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Once upon a time I only used Google, Jack was so happy - until a nasty virus / trojan or "potentially unwanted programme" thingy took over my laptop. Suddenly the only way to get online and restore Google was to use another browser. I used Mozilla Firefox (I might have tried Internet Explorer if I'd known what the symbol on the taskbar was). But the need to keep at least two browsers was established, since when something stops one working you are rather stuck when it comes to downloading another.
Since IE is a product of Microsoft (and this black box of computing stuff is kind of reliant on Microsoft) I tended to think that IE was pretty safe. Ahh bless...
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

One good thing about Apple devices is that they're almost completely immune to viruses and other such nasty thingies. I'd used Microsoft ever since Windows 3.1 days and had no desire to change (and thought Apple fans were annoying totally-sucked-in geeks), until I needed a new laptop last year and had a look at a friend's MacBook Air. It was an almost instant conversion. :mrgreen: (Also helped that one look at Windows 8 gave me the screaming horrors. :shock: )

Seriously, if you're willing to give it a go, an Apple computer is worth the extra money - and you can pick up very good second hand ones for a better price, including through Apple's own Refurbished store (which is what I did). The basics of it aren't very different at all from Microsoft (which was a pleasant surprise), and it really is very easy to get comfortable with - most of what I do is online, and all browsers (other than IE!) are compatible with Apple, so I just use Chrome, which is what I'm most at home with. (I have Safari for backup, but don't think I've needed it once.) I can totally understand people's reluctance to try Apple (having been there myself), but it really is worth a go. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If people want to discuss different computers and different browsers, it might be better to carry on the conversation in the 'Computer Upgrades and Problems' thread in General Natter.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Or you could simply merge the topics. :wink:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

What people have posted up to now is fine as a response to Chrissie, but if it goes any further it would probably be better in the other thread.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thank you all for your advice/suggestions.
As we cannot afford buying Apple computers, I will just stick with Internet Explorer for now as Google Chrome caused way too many problems.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I can't imagine Google Chrome (or any other browser) causing as many problems as Internet Explorer, but I'll drop the subject now before we get moved to another thread!! :lol:
Society Member

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I agree Courtenay but I'm afraid of Anita's great big moderating stick so I won't say any more either.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member