How can I change and most of all KEEP my password?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

How can I change and most of all KEEP my password?

Post by Chrissie777 »

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
After Anita and some other EBS members spent so much time helping me to establish a username and get registered on EBS way back in March, I ran into trouble yesterday morning for the first time.
My password was not accepted.

So I asked for my new password being sent to my e-mail address and then I was able to log in again.
However, this morning when I tried to go to "User Control Panel" in order to change my password (I hate having different passwords in my favorite websites), it didn't accept the new password.

I typed in my e-mail address twice, then the new password twice and at the bottom I was asked for my current password which I copied & pasted from that automated e-mail with my new password which I received yesterday and that's the one I want to change (I hope whoever reads this can still follow me...I'm awful with describing technical problems).

I tried it 3 times, each time I got this note: The current password you entered is incorrect.

I'm at the end of my rope/wits.
Maybe somebody could explain to me, please, HOW to get the password that I want and most of all HOW to keep it. Because I really don't want to change my password every few months.
I don't have to change it in amazon or tvforen.de or any other favorite websites, so hopefully I don't have to go through this process of constantly changing my password at EBS. Only one other wonderful British website keeps doing that and since then I lost interest (BritMovie.org).

Would be thankful for some advice and am sorry to bother you with this.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: How can I change and most of all KEEP my password?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm not sure what's happening there I'm afraid, Chrissie, but perhaps Tony will know. If not, Keith Robinson our webmaster will no doubt be able to sort things out.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm not sure what's happening there I'm afraid, Chrissie, but perhaps Tony will know. If not, Keith Robinson our webmaster will no doubt be able to sort things out.
Hello Anita,

Thank you for your message.
Should I write to Tony or Keith?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

How have you logged in to post these messages? :?:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I was wondering that myself, John. :?:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The new password that has been emailed to her allows her to log into the forum.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote:How have you logged in to post these messages? :?:
With the "new" password given to me by EBS yesterday. Then today I was trying to get rid of this conglomerate of numbers and letters password and replace it by my own password which got rejected.
So after that I logged on again with the letters & numbers password provided by EBS. That's how I could post messages today.

My point is: I really would like to change that letters & numbers password from EBS and the option of changing a password is obviously possible in "User Control Panel". However, it still does not work.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You said you typed in your email address twice. It says you only need to confirm your email address if you're changing the email address NOT if you're changing the password. The second email address box should contain your forum name if you're changing the password.

Don't know if that would affect your ability to change the password, but worth a try?

Edit: Ignore that. I've just changed my password to something new with my email address in that box. And changed it back without any issues. That also proves there isn't an issue with reusing an old password.

Have you tried typing in the new letters&numbers password instead of copying and pasting it?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for experimenting, Fiona!

Chrissie, Tony has managed to help people with password troubles in the past so if you're still having problems it would be best to contact him first. He might have encountered something similar before.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Fiona1986 wrote: Edit: Ignore that. I've just changed my password to something new with my email address in that box. And changed it back without any issues. That also proves there isn't an issue with reusing an old password.
Have you tried typing in the new letters&numbers password instead of copying and pasting it?
Hi Fiona,

I will try it with typing in the letters & numbers password instead of copy & paste. But my ultimate goal is to get another, easier to remember password at EBS. I don't know if I was able to get that point across.
Yes, I will type in the letters & numbers password now as the "old" password, then type in my preferred password and hope when I log in again, it will accept it.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Fiona1986 wrote: Have you tried typing in the new letters&numbers password instead of copying and pasting it?
No need to contact Tony. I just just tried the letters & numbers password, it did not work. Then I tried to log in again with my preferred password and it worked. So I must have been successful yesterday with changing my password :).
Thanks everybody for your help! I appreciate it.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Tony,

I'm stuck with the same problem again.
André just helped me via Skype to get rid of my Google Chrome and to install Internet Explorer instead. Because of that I have to log in in all my forums and the first 3 forums accepted my username and password, but EBS doesn't.
So I requested a new password and got this letters & numbers password which I would like to change to my former password.
However, when I go to user control panel, there is no option to change the password.
Where do I have to change it now?
It's not in board index either.
I'm confused. :?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Chrissie it's still in the control panel (though it may be in a slightly different location to before as the forums were upgraded a little while ago.)

If you open your control panel, click profile at the top and then edit account settings at the right.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I changed the password for someone quite recently, Chrissie, and I stepped into a nightmare as it also changed my password and I got locked out of both the forums and more importantly the admin, which meant that I couldn't change my own password back! Since the forums have been updated this is no longer easy for me to do, so as you have unfortunately asked for a new password I think you are stuck with it, so my advice is for you to stay permanently logged in and then you won't have to use the password again.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thanks, Tony, then I will write it on a post-it note to not unintentionally delete the e-mail with the new password.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock