Reading posts

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Here's where to go!
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Reading posts

Post by jen »

Is there a way to go to my reply to a post so I can read on from there rather than trailing through the ones I've already read plus my reply? Hope that makes sense!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Reading posts

Post by Lucky Star »

Theres a link on the red bar at the top which says "View new posts". I believe that takes you straight to the first unread post in any thread. Personally I often find it useful to read a few back posts just to remind me of whats going on in a thread, it could be just that I have the memory of a goldfish though. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

View New Posts take you to the list of new topics. First unread post (beside the title when you open a thread) takes you to.... well, the name says it all.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

jen wrote:Is there a way to go to my reply to a post so I can read on from there rather than trailing through the ones I've already read plus my reply?
Nothing is impossible.
hobbes
Favourite book/series: The Adventure series. The Famous Five. The Secret
Favourite character: Dick, Bill Smugs

Post by hobbes »

This is such a great site and everyone seems so nice.

But and it is a really moany but

Are these silly sigs really necessary. They just clutter up the page and make things hard to follow. A bit childish.

OK I know people like atavars- personally they annoy me - but i can live with them but the sigs- so messy and frankly tedious after you have seen them once. And i believe they slow down your system too.

Sorry if this is presumptive as a newbie. Just my opinion.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

hobbes wrote:This is such a great site and everyone seems so nice.

But and it is a really moany but

Are these silly sigs really necessary. They just clutter up the page and make things hard to follow. A bit childish.

OK I know people like atavars- personally they annoy me - but i can live with them but the sigs- so messy and frankly tedious after you have seen them once. And i believe they slow down your system too.

Sorry if this is presumptive as a newbie. Just my opinion.
I imagine a lot of people will disagree with you. If so, I hope it's done politely. But even given the caveats to your post, I think some of your comments were a little unwise. For example I don't think it's a good idea to turn up on new on a web site and tell the majority of those that submit posts that by adding signatures etc, they are being childish.

PS. This post is an exercise in damage limitation!
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
dsr

Post by dsr »

I've never had any problem ignoring them. I don't really see how they make things hard to follow, because every post is clearly separated anyway.
DSR
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

hobbes wrote: Are these silly sigs really necessary. They just clutter up the page and make things hard to follow. A bit childish.
The signatures take up very little webspace, in fact hardly anything at all. I choose not to use one but I would not be without my avatar. They add a personalised touch to this forum and make it easy to quickly identify posts by regular contributors.
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

Well - avatars make the page look friendly and colorful - and so I enjoy reading the posts. I'm sure that the avatars make the page look friendly. I've got no problem with sigs too since they are seperated by your posts by a line.

I suppose thats why Silky-Elf uses so much of formatting in her posts! :roll: :lol:
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Ming

Post by Ming »

Talking of sigs I suppose your annoyance is partly about my massive yellow signature!! :lol:

As others have already said, sigs and avatars show at once who posted the message. Some people don't have either - people have to look at the username on the right. Avatars and signatures, even if you're not purposely looking at them, catch your eye and tell you at once who the poster is.

Personally I enjoy seeing avatars and signatures - it often shows what kind of things people like. Viking Star, for instance, likes The Ship of Adventure, this is proved by his avatar and username!

I'm pretty sure they don't take up any space. If they did, the admins of the board wouldn't allow signatures and avatars in the first place. And I can't see anything childish in having or not having them. There is a field for signatures and avatars on all forums, so if you want to use it, use it! And if you don't want to, there's nothing wrong in that either.

:roll:

Society Member
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

hobbes wrote:Are these silly sigs really necessary. They just clutter up the page and make things hard to follow. A bit childish.
Given our preferred reading matter, I suppose you could say that many of us on here have never grown up :D

Seriously though, they don't bother me and I quite like the personalised touch.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's fine to make your opinion known, Hobbes, but personally I'm another one who rather likes signatures and avatars. As others have pointed out, signatures and avatars express something of the member's personality, brighten up the Forums and make it easy to identify posters.

Does anyone else take a look at the "quick links" to posts on the Home Page of the site, before entering the Forums proper? I ask that because I find it fun to try to guess the identity of the posters from the first few words of the posts. Often, it's surprisingly easy to make an accurate guess. Does anyone else do that?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Does anyone else take a look at the "quick links" to posts on the Home Page of the site, before entering the Forums proper? I ask that because I find it fun to try to guess the identity of the posters from the first few words of the posts. Often, it's surprisingly easy to make an accurate guess. Does anyone else do that?
Heh, no, I never did that. I use Firefox, and every time I open Firefox it shows my tabs from last time, in other words, Gmail and the Society's homepage. Unless I refresh the page, what I saw last night is still there - and I don't really notice it. I go straight to the forums, read all the posts, and check the main site.

I'll try identifying the posters from the quick links next time! :D

Society Member
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Does anyone else take a look at the "quick links" to posts on the Home Page of the site, before entering the Forums proper? I ask that because I find it fun to try to guess the identity of the posters from the first few words of the posts. Often, it's surprisingly easy to make an accurate guess. Does anyone else do that?
Yes, I do that too. I nearly always enter the forums from the quick links on the home page and can often guess the poster :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I usually use the Quick Links, which is why I sometimes lose topics. For example, the journalist from The Times doing his research here was totally missed by me, and came as a great suprise!

My Avatar. For those who don't know, I am a Morris Dancer, and when at Folk Festivals my side face-paint ourselves as tigers. This is in addition to our "tatters" costume and big sticks! The picture was taken at Swanage Folk Festival last year. You can make out Swanage Bay behind me, and Ballard Down (the big hill!) is in the distance.

We are at Tisbury FF in a couple of weeks - Tony & Nigel - would you like to come and see me doing something silly? :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017