Forumites Meet Up in August?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Forumites Meet Up in July?

Post by Daisy »

We will still be staying in the area as we have made further plans for visiting relations, so not sure another trip south in August will be feasible.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

At the moment I could make either date.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I can't say for sure about the two dates in August, but will make a note of them and see what happens.

I, too, would far rather go to a meet-up with lots of people present — it's a fair drive for me to get to Buckinghamshire from Kent, and although I don't like to say I'll drop out and not bother to come on the 2nd if so few others can make it, it is a big disappointment and it's left me wondering if it would be worth my while. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I will keep the dates in mind, but with school holidays it might still be impossible. Hopefully more of you will be able to make one of these dates, it would be a shame if only a few could make it.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I can make the 13th of August, possibly the 20th but that one is a bit iffy for me as I may have a family engagement that weekend. I too was thinking in terms of a postponement as teh numbers have dropped so significantly.

Daisy if we postpone I do hope you will be able to make it. It would not be the same without you.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Sally wrote:Just arrived back from holiday and caught up with posts and messages.

There is obviously great disappointment that we can't guarantee the boat trip and therefore are looking at alternative arrangements. A Forum annual meet up needs to incorporate a goodly number and the drop-out numbers suggest the walk isn't as popular - let's be frank! Disappointing though it might be for some, may I suggest we find an alternative date for our annual meet up and do the boat trip? A meet up of 7 people just won't be the same and I think we need to be inclusive on this.

Appreciate holidays are now likely to intervene, but how do members feel about the following for alternative dates:

13 August
20 August
It would have to be the 20th for me, Sally as we are on a coach trip on the 13th of August. I do hope that 20th is the chosen date as we were both looking forward to the meet-up! Thank you again for all you have done.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Just to say that Izzy is so well organised she has the calendar filled in for months ahead!
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thank you John. I hope we may be able to make it but can't say until nearer the time.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I hope you had a great holiday, Sally!
Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Hi everyone

having looked at the responses, it looks as if 20 August might be the best common date. I am sorry to change the date, but I want this to be an all inclusive event, as far as we can make it, which gives an opportunity for us all to meet and have an enjoyable day. A boat trip is obviously the favourite option, although only a 40 minute one, and we can easily include a walk along the river as well if the weather is good. Our Find Outer friends used to walk along the Thames in all weathers! It's all about the appropriate clothing!

I suggest I cancel the booking for 2 July at the Chequers in Marlow and advise we may book an alternative date later for lunch in the bar (dog friendly). In the meantime, can we gather a list of interested Forum members who want to attend.

Tony - if you are able to contact Angela Canning and others who are not internet users, it would be great to have them there as well.

Let's look at the list so far:

Julie 2
Eddie 2
Daisy 2? Hope you can make it
Francis2? Hope you can make it
Lucky Star 1 Hope you can make it
Nigel 2? Hope you can make it
Courtney 1? Hope you can make it
Katherine
Sally 1

Tony?
Anita?
Pippa-Steff?
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'll have to go off the list again until closer to the date, Sally, as I work varying shifts and I never know what my schedule will be like until a few weeks in advance. I'll probably be able to let you know in early August.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Will be great to have you there, Courtney, if you can make it.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I also work shifts in a hospital and until I learn my rota for August I couldn't commit. I do know that there are no free holiday dates so if I am rostered to work on those days I wouldn't be able to come.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I too will have to wait until nearer the time to commit. Needless to say i am fervently hoping i can make it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Izzy and I can commit to that day, Sally - looking forward to seeing you and other members! Thanks again for taking the time and effort to plan the event.
Society Member