Forumites Meet Up in August?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Forumites Meet Up in July?

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I read that as "Squid"
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Fiona1986 wrote:Why don't you book a property viewing that day? Pretend you've got a million or so quid and you're interested in buying :lol:
It's still not sold? :o
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well maybe they would take squid as payment if they were desperate? I've just seen Old Thatch has been taken off of the Rightmove site, though it doesn't say sold, just removed.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Fiona1986 wrote:Well maybe they would take squid as payment if they were desperate?
We can always hope. I'm down in Penzance right now — maybe we can enlist the help of the local fisheries. How many tons do you think they'll take? 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Just to follow up with some ideas for our 2 July gathering. Personally, I agree with Francis it would be best to make it simple, easy for everyone to get to, a good pub and a chance to enjoy the lovely river where the Find-outers at least spent so many happy hours and invited us into their world. Two thoughts for you to consider:

A pub lunch and walk up Winter's Hill in Cookham - suggest the Ferry in Cookham for lunch (http://www.theferry.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at the end of the High Street near the church (0.75 miles from Cookham Station) followed by a walk along the river up Winter's Hill (Christmas Hill) which is a complete circuit. I have done it many times and have the AA walk - 4.5 miles but quite easy. Also chance to take in Sir Stanley Spencer's Gallery. Good parking on Cookham Moore on left of B447 or at the pub.

A short boat trip (40 minutes at £6.50) in Marlow (http://www.salterssteamers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) departing from Higginson Park (off the High Street) and lunch at the Chequers, High Street, Marlow (http://www.thechequersmarlow.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - a stone built gastro pub which seems to have good reviews and a range of food. Station also at Marlow. A number of public car-parks centrally.

Salters Steamers also have similar boat trips from Maidenhead. Boulters Lock is a nearby pub.

If anyone has any other ideas, do please share.

Sally
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Sally wrote:...and walk up Winter's Hill in Cookham - suggest the Ferry in Cookham for lunch (http://www.theferry.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) at the end of the High Street near the church (0.75 miles from Cookham Station) followed by a walk along the river up Winter's Hill (Christmas Hill) which is a complete circuit. Sally
Sally, in 2008 André and I walked on the opposite side of the Thames from Marlow to Bourne End, so I could only guess if the hill on the other side of the river might be Winter's Hill?
Do you have any photos from Winter's Hill?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just one point for me, Sally, the reviews for the Ferry Inn are not good ones, basically they say - poor service, shabby pub, dirty, needs a refurbish and manager unpleasant! Only good thing going for it is the view.

Reviews have put me off that pub sadly. But I'm all for a walk or a boat trip. And maybe we can find another pub.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just been checking pubs in Cookham so far - The Jolly Farmer - The Kings Arms.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There is a real Christmas Hill in Shalford, near to Guildford! It's not a hill though, just a street!
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thank you Sally for your research. I would marginally prefer Maidenhead as the connections are better but Cookham is also fine if that's what other people prefer.
Society Member
Sally

Post by Sally »

So sorry about the Ferry - Julie is right that reports on Trip Advisor suggest not so good. Their reports (if they are to be believed) are good on the Kings Arms - centrally placed towards the end of the High Street with parking at the rear. We need to consider the logistics of walking from station to pub to walk area - would work well here with the gallery as a possible add on.

Winters Hill is indeed opposite Bourne End - can be seen from the river there and where Fatty and the Find Outers had their picnic and met John James in the Pantomime Cat (they travelled across on the ferry - no longer in existence) and walked up the hill to get the view.

Maidenhead would be good for the boat trip option but we need to consider pubs on the river. The Boulters Arms has generally good reviews - although one on Trip Advisor suggests that upstairs "needed a good clean"!

Marlow also has pubs in the High Street - Marlow and Maidenhead are likely to be more expensive in general.

Could I suggest we have votes from those aiming to come whether to go for a walk or a boat trip and we can then decide on where to eat from there?
Sally

Post by Sally »

The Boulters Arms should read Boulters Lock....you can tell I am doing this in haste before going out - even pressed the submit button twice!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Erika and I hope to be able to come and both of us would prefer a boat trip. Thanks for doing the logistics again, Sally, you're a star! :D
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A boat trip for Mark and me too, please!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I would be happy to go along with the majority vote, Sally. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member