Meet-up at Spade Oak/Old Thatch, Sun 18th May 2014

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Meet-up at Spade Oak/Old Thatch, Sun 18th May 2014

Post by MJE »

I'm sorry if it has already been covered somewhere, but I can't find any obvious location for the latest on my question: but is there going to be an Enid Blyton Day in 2014?
     If so, will it be in May, as in some previous years? Any idea of the date? I haven't heard much mention of it at all more recently.
     Just wondering.... It looks as if Enid Blyton Days will soon be only a thing of the past.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: E.B. Day in 2014?

Post by Poppy »

I believe Tony has elsewhere expressed that he has not yet made any plans for next year, MJE. There has been talk of an EB outing for 2014 in Miscellaneous Blyton, but I don't think the discussion lead to any definate plans being made.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Poppy wrote:I believe Tony has elsewhere expressed that he has not yet made any plans for next year.
But we all live in hopes that there will be an Enid Blyton Day in 2014, Poppy! :wink:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Of course! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

If, in due course, it were to proceed, would it necessarily be in May? - or could it possibly be almost any time in 2014?
     And what location would it be? - or could that be variable over a wide area, too?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The day has traditionally been on the second Saturday in May and for a good number of years has been held in Twyford. This, I guess, would be the first choice of venue as it suits so many people.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Personally I think that if there was to be an E.B. Day in 2014, Tony would have mentioned it by now, as he knows that people like to know the date in advance so they can take time off work, or use it as part of their holidays.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's true Julie, but hope springs eternal! :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Ooooh, yes please! Funnily enough I just mentioned the possibility this morning and my husband asked if oodles of lashing beer are served, started our day with a laugh!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
MJE

Post by MJE »

floragord wrote:Ooooh, yes please! Funnily enough I just mentioned the possibility this morning and my husband asked if oodles of lashing beer are served, started our day with a laugh!
     I dare say that there might be oodles and lashings of beer there, at least of the ginger variety - not sure about other kinds, though.
     I had ginger beer very rarely as a child, and it wasn't the big thing it seemed to be in the lives of some Blyton characters - but on occasions more recently, a good ginger beer is very refreshing indeed on a boiling hot summer day. I still like soft drinks, but try not to have too many of them; but they need to be good-quality ones (i.e., probably more expensive), with real flavour beyond mere sweetness. I still have a sweet tooth, but I do suspect that adults are rather less tolerant than children of mere intense sweetness without any flavour of anything beyond that. I suppose some of the sweets I ate as a child would probably just rather repel me now - although some things, like fairy floss or jelly for example, never appealed to me even as a child.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Did Enid Blyton enjoy ginger beer as much as her characters did? :?:

I know it was one of Agatha Christie's favourite drinks.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Actually, I would probably say I would prefer an ice cold lemonade or a soft drink on a boiling hot day. I don't think I could drink a ginger beer because for one thing it tastes so fiery hot and I would be craving something cold and refreshing. If I have a ginger beer I need to have a soft drink beside me, too (would the Famous Five think I was greedy if I ordered a lemonade and a ginger beer? :D).
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:Did Enid Blyton enjoy ginger beer as much as her characters did? :?:
I don't know about Enid Blyton herself, but I remember reading somewhere that it was her daughter Gillian's favourite drink.
Poppy wrote:(would the Famous Five think I was greedy if I ordered a lemonade and a ginger beer? :D).
Probably not! As for the Find-Outers, they wouldn't bat an eyelid if you ordered a lemonade, a ginger beer, two or three ices and a plate of macaroons!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
MJE

Ginger beer.

Post by MJE »

Poppy wrote:Actually, I would probably say I would prefer an ice cold lemonade or a soft drink on a boiling hot day. I don't think I could drink a ginger beer because for one thing it tastes so fiery hot and I would be craving something cold and refreshing. If I have a ginger beer I need to have a soft drink beside me, too
     Perhaps ginger beers vary in that regard. It is true that the ginger beer I was referring to is strong-flavoured, but I wouldn't have called it hot, exactly. It is definitely best drunk slowly, and I don't need to alternate it with anything else - and I speak as a person with a low tolerance of hotness in foods, as in chilli-type hotness.
Poppy wrote:(would the Famous Five think I was greedy if I ordered a lemonade and a ginger beer? :D).
     I'm sure they would not even bat an eyelid!

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

I know this has been discussed off and on over the year, but if there is not an official day, I am sure we can organise something! We could centre a meeting in Bourne End again and include a tour of Peterswood, taking in the parts identified to have been the inspiration for the books. We could startiat the Spade Oak, identify the properties which could have been the Hilton's House in Haycock Lane (Colmoorholme Lane), and then tour along the river towards the station and complete the circle, ending up at The Spade Oak for lunch followed by another visit to Old Thatch. It's not original, I know, but if planned well it could be fun.

Another thoughts is that next year will be the 70th anniversary of the Adventure Series - but much more difficult to arrange as the adventures were so far flung!

Any other thoughts?