Enid Blyton Day Speakers

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Tony Summerfield

Enid Blyton Day Speakers

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Although it was mentioned in another thread I felt it might interest one or two people if this had a thread of its own and as I guess that I am the only person able to produce this list, I thought I had better do it.

Enid Blyton Day Speakers

1993: Barbara Stoney, Mary Cadogan, Janet Seller, Norman Wright
1994: Gillian Baverstock, Tony Summerfield, Norman Wright
1995: George Greenfield, Michael Rouse, Norman Wright
1996: David Rudd, John Price, Norman Wright
1997: Sheila Ray, Robert Dallas, Gareth Derrick, Grazina Frame, Mary Cadogan
Barbara Stoney, Gary Russell, Tim Quinn, Jemima Rooper, Gillian Baverstock
1998: Robert Tyndall, George Greenfield, Nicholas Reed, Imogen Smallwood, Pam Ally
1999: David Cook, Tony Summerfield, Jenny Schofield, Gary Russell, Norman Wright
2000: Anne Digby, David Rudd, Helen Cresswell, Johnny Hopton
2001: Imogen Smallwood, Sophie Smallwood, Nick James, Val Biro, Darryl Read, David Palmer, Heather Barnes
2002: Gyles Brandreth, Phil Evans, Mike Carrington Wood, Clarissa Cridland
2003: Tim Rice, Eva Rice, Ken Howard, Mary Cadogan
2005: Mark Davidson
2006: Robert Tyndall, Marcus Harris
2007: Nicolette Jones, Duncan McLaren, Marcus Harris, Gary Russell
2008: Pamela Cox, Esra Cafer
2009: Clova McCallum, Lee Morris, Eleanor Moran, Mary Cadogan, Norman Wright,
2010: Sophie Smallwood, Robert Tyndall, Susan Sheridan, Gary Russell, Marcus Harris,
Gail Renard, Julie Davis
2012: Sarah Lawrance, Jon Appleton, Georgina Hargreaves, Pam Ally

I have left out speakers who were on the programme but never appeared and included one or two who weren't on the programme but made it onto stage!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Biennial?

Post by MJE »

Are Enid Blyton Days biennial now? (2011 is missing, and I seem to recall someone saying there wasn't going to be one this year, either.)
     Or are they off altogether from now on? That would be sad.
     I guess it makes little difference to me personally, because it is very unlikely I will ever visit England; but I can assure you that, if I lived in England, I would be certain to come, even if I had to drive hundreds of miles to get there.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton Day Speakers

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for posting the list of speakers, Tony. :D I have printed a copy to put in my EB Day file.

There wasn't an EB Day in 2011, Michael.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Eddie Muir wrote:There wasn't an EB Day in 2011, Michael.
     Yes, I realized - that's why I was wondering if the event had either been cancelled, or become biennial.
     I gather there has been a bit of difficulty more recently organizing speakers. But, even without speakers, would it still be a nice get-together for Enid Blyton enthusiasts?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

You will see that 2004 is also missing as there wasn't a day that year either. As far as the future is concerned all I can definitely say is that there is no EB Day in 2013, although we are having an outing to Beckenham on June 15th, which is in a separate thread.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The last page or two of this thread might answer your questions
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Some good names that have been speakers. I noticed George Greenfield has spoken twice. I've got his book. Nice to see Gary Russell up there too more than once. I see the name Jemima Rooper too. Be nice if she come do a come back! And Tony, looks like you've been on stage too. Don't you fancy having another go at speaking! I missed 1994 and 1999 years.

All in all a very good turn out. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I recently managed to buy a programme from the 1996 day, and I've also got programmes from 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999 & 2000, plus of course the one from last year which I actually attended. I thought I was doing quite well with my collection, as I have arranged to buy 1997's programme too. So that was the first 7 years taken care of. Now I realise that 1993 was the first year, so goodness knows if I'll be able to track down a copy of that one. :cry:
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:All in all a very good turn out. :)
Hear, hear! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Very nice, Katharine, where did you buy them from. Was it the online shop?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck with your programme search, Katharine! :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Don't you fancy having another go at speaking! I missed 1994 and 1999 years.
No!! I spoke in 1999 to launch The Enid Blyton Dossier, but only because Brian Stewart couldn't make it.

There is no chance at all of getting a working actress like Jemima Rooper. I could give you quite a long list of people that I have tried and failed with!
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:There is no chance at all of getting a working actress like Jemima Rooper.
'Spitty! :lol:

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Katharine wrote:I recently managed to buy a programme from the 1996 day, and I've also got programmes from 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999 & 2000, plus of course the one from last year which I actually attended. I thought I was doing quite well with my collection, as I have arranged to buy 1997's programme too. So that was the first 7 years taken care of. Now I realise that 1993 was the first year, so goodness knows if I'll be able to track down a copy of that one. :cry:
Oh dear, I could have given you a 1997 programme for free, Katharine! Still can if you haven't bought it.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie, they all came from E-Bay. I didn't set out to get them to begin with. I think I bought a job lot of unavailable Journals and I got about 3 of the programmes as well as a couple of Green Hedges magazine and a Junior Newsletter or two. I think I got the other 2 programmes in another job lot of journals. Then the most recent purchase was sold singly on E-Bay.

I never thought of looking at the on-line shop, but I think I'd probably have noticed if they were in there.
Society Member