Update for Enid Blyton Day

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
noddy13

Post by noddy13 »

Before casual readers who tune in get the feeling that Keith and I are going to settle in for the longhaul trading brickbats and bouquets in quick succession.. let me assure all that this is one All-Englishman who just so happens to have deserted to USA.. but who along with so many wonderful others I have had the privilege to meet with... seems to be infusing real ambition in the society's NETworthiness (pun duly intended).

(I really have to apologise for the pix.. they will come through hopefully as promised tomorrow to you Keith...and the fuzziness in some of them is entirely due to lack of focus (Im punning again arent I) and lack of professional talent.
)

Just want to add that Ive been meeting so many familiar names on ebay. I m torn between the agony of bidding against my fellow members, and now friends ,and caving into my love for books. So far, Im happy to say its been much the case of the former.. agony rules so I dont bid much) and much less the latter. Debbjr is always on and about and bidding with a vengeance and so as always is enidblytoncollector, who is always upto something..and who is my personal book God!
I see that mollybob is on.. often..... is she a member. ?

But I want to really put forth the lack of morals that is unfortunately present on ebay, and is becoming more and more apparent.
One particular pet hate is this business of photocopy or fascimile DW. I mean I absolutely fail to see why they should not be highlighted in the initial entry and there is so much scope for an innocent bidder to pay for a copy, a word is remains curiously understated in the detailed entry. I think most of us members are collectors... this brings me back to the point I had mentioned in another forum of putting forth the society as an official verifying authourity, earning a small commission which can be used to good and charitable non profit use in furthering the societys causes. Maybe pay for shipment for some books to Africa for kids etc. I mean I just feel that while retaining the simplicity of the society and Enid Blyton's image.. cant we do something more as well? Just a few random Saturday thoughts...
Tony Summerfield

EB Society Helpline!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I agree with you entirely Prabhu, ebay is an unscrupulous minefield and as far as the Society offering to authenticate items is concerned I had meant to reply to your previous post.

The EB Day is a nice easy day for me with plenty of people helping to make it run smoothely, but for the other 364 days I am a one man band and entirely on my own to do anything and everything that is required. I belong to other author societies and some of these have about eight people doing the jobs that I do. This is why someone like Keith is a godsend as without him we wouldn't have a website as it is way beyond my capabilities. We are both working hard on it at the moment, but fortunately much of what is going on will be permanent reference and once it is there it will not require continual maintanance.

I have always been bombarded with requests for information (much less now that Keith has removed my contact details from the website) and almost all of this is from people who have no interest in Enid Blyton, but are just interested in making money for themselves on ebay and expect me to provide a description of the article for them - and if they don't like what they hear (forged signatures etc.) they ignore what I say anyway! Journalists expect me to write chunks of articles for them as do students who want help with essays. Life is too short and I'm afraid my loyalties are to the Society and its members.

I am always happy to help any Society members with any queries they might have, but I have now got to the stage where most other requests just get ignored. I already spend so many hours a week on EB that I don't have the time or energy to take part in things such as round robins.

I think you might be amused by an email I received from India last week which said:-

'May I request you for the copies both Print and on CD's of all the
books of Enid Blyton (Five Find Outers) you can send.'

This was followed by an address and I think it sums up my position quite nicely!!

Best wishes
Tony
noddy13

your position

Post by noddy13 »

Hi Tony, appreciate the position you are in, and I have to add that for a one man band, the tune that you do play remains top of the charts.

Perhaps you could communicate to the expectant Indian (I assure you it is not I who made the request) a small matter of an invoice running into oh .. say... a few hundred .. quid .. for services of CD and print.. or suggest he buy your 4 books at curent market price..

Unfortunately sacrificial lambs must sometimes bear the burden of their existence.. and it appears that you are to bear the brunt of whatever is thrown at the EBSociety. Which ofcourse is a fine fine institution and best left untouched and unchanged.
I will render impotent any more ambitious suggestions.. except that if I have sufficient time, Imight be able to get some printed teeshirts for next years meet.
Lets talk AFTER pix wing their way towards Keith.

Cheerio
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote: I bumped into Nigel next, and instantly saw that he was not the mad old duffer I thought he was. Well, maybe he is. Yes, on second thoughts, he really is. Maybe not "old" though - he's looking pretty youthful and cool for a 50-something-year-old! This must be the Blyton Effect in action.

Great to meet you too, Keith! :wink:

Thanks for the youthful and cool bit.

{nips off to shed to smoke some dope and read some Noddy} :P
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"Magic mushrooms" would be most apt!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

<shuts eyes and sticks fingers in ears> :lol:

Thank you for your comments Keith, and I'm sure they weren't at all influenced by my ability to alter the post hahaha, not...

If the pic of MArcus signing my T'shirt if grim, chop my head off before you stick it up :)
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

George@Kirrin wrote: If the pic of MArcus signing my T'shirt if grim, chop my head off before you stick it up :)

Sorry, George, but I was so close to your T-shirt, that my picture was too blurred to send to Keith. :oops:
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

George, something odd happened to my post. I'd written "And Zoe! What a strange, confused policewoman she is," but when I checked again later it had turned into, "And Zoe! What a nice, down-to-earth policewoman she is." Can you explain that? ;)

The pictures are ready to go, almost. I have a few of you, and if you don't like them when you see them, then of course you only have to say so, but the rest of us will agree they're perfectly good, respectable pictures. I plan to post the page later tonight, so look out for it first thing Monday morning!
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

LOL moon, I'm sure you were trying to focus in on the picture :lol:

Odd that Keith, as your original description of me was so accurate lol, I'll look forward to the pics, with some trepidation....
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Well, the photos and reviews are finally online! Sorry for the long wait. Eagle-eyed members will notice that I've shamelessly cribbed from these forums for much of the text, so if you see your name being used in vain and don't like it, please let me know.

With thanks to Karl in Austria, Nigel (moonraker), and Prabhu (noddy13), for sending me their photos. Added to my own I managed to get quite a nice selection together, 54 in all.

To see the photos, follow the link from the home page or go directly to this page.

Enjoy!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lovely selection of photos, Keith, and you've made an excellent job of the review. Fantastic! :D

Anita
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Fantastic Keith, all pics, bar the ones of me, are great :)

Fab review
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Lovely selection of photos, Keith, and you've made an excellent job of the review. Fantastic! :D

What more can I say? A fantastically, professional job, Keith.
noddy13

pix

Post by noddy13 »

Well done Keith ol' buddy. You may look, feel and act suitably smug till the next Day dawns....and you gave up your Sunday as well...!
Great Stuff!
Tony Summerfield

EB Day Pics

Post by Tony Summerfield »

What more can I add, Keith. A superb reminder for those who attended the Day and a mouth-watering glimpse for those that couldn't be there.

Also many thanks to all those who provided the photos.

Best wishes
Tony