Enid Blyton Day!

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Neasa

Enid Blyton Day!

Post by Neasa »

Who's going this year?
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I may try to if work commitments allow, I did try a few years back, bought the ticket etc and got about halfway there before my piston went and my poor old car filled with oil smoke, depositing most of the rest of it's oil on the hard shoulder of the M1... :(
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Enid Blyton Day

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm hoping to go this year with my daughter - it'll be my 4th time and her 2nd. Hope you're able to come, George@Kirrin, and that some more members of this Forum are thinking of going. It's always a hugely enjoyable day. The speakers are great, as are the stalls packed with Blytonian goodies, but the best thing is talking to fellow Blyton enthusiasts about favourite books, etc. I remember feeling nervous the first time I went to an Enid Blyton Day. I was on my own and didn't quite know what to expect (I even wondered whether I might be the only person not dressed up as Noddy or The Saucepan Man! :lol: ) As it was, I felt completely relaxed as soon as I walked through the door (and no - Blyton-themed costumes were not a requirement :). )

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I can echo Anita's sentiments. I took my son to a Dr Who convention years ago, wow.........a bit weird to say the least!

EBD is a must. Great to see fellow forum writers, Yahoos and lovers of her work.

I'll be there!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

EB Day

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks Anita and Nigel - two really nice endorsements and I hope they will encourage some new blood to the Day. I know these events can seem a bit daunting if you have never been before, particularly if you are coming on your own, but please don't be put off.

We need to sell some more tickets as at present the numbers are well down on last year. The event should be a 'must' for Famous Five fans like George@Kirrin as we have both Julian and Dick (aka Marcus Harris and Gary Russell) from the 78 series coming as speakers. It would be a terrible shame to cancel the event so hopefully applications will start flooding in before I reach the point of no return!

Tony
Raci

Post by Raci »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I can't come. :( I am sooooooo disapointed having heard back from you all about last year.

:evil: Public Transport :evil:
Ali

Post by Ali »

I would love to come to the day, although I can't see my husband agreeing to a trip to England to coinside with the event. So please please take loads of photos and video or tape the speakers so those of us in a far off land can at least experience part of the day.
Ali

Post by Ali »

The most incredible thing has happened, I just have to tell you all!!!!
I was explaining to my husband about the Enid Blyton Day coming up in May and he said "well, why don't you go". (Just so you truely understand the impressiveness of this statement, we are in New Zealand!)

We were planning a trip over to the UK for Christmas of 2006 but after 4 days away with 3 teenagers this Christmas have instead decided that with each of them having such different interests it would be better for them each to have a trip of their own to the UK spread over the next 2 years.
Anyway a trip the the travel agents this afternoon and my youngest daughter (13yrs) and I are booked to visit the UK for 3 weeks in May, of course planned around the Enid Blyton Day.
I am so excited that my typing is all over the place (lakjsdfoiwas;dfo[s) and I just about need scraping off the ceiling!!! :lol:

Would also be keen to incorporate a visit to the Corfe Castle area so Viv if you are reading this we are interested in your May 2006 dates for any of the Enid Blyton tours - couldn't find any on your site.

Anyway Tony put us down as two definates for tickets for the day and once I am back down on planet earth will organise the registration forms.
:lol:
Smiles
George@Kirrin

Re: EB Day

Post by George@Kirrin »

Tony Summerfield wrote: The event should be a 'must' for Famous Five fans like George@Kirrin as we have both Julian and Dick (aka Marcus Harris and Gary Russell) from the 78 series coming as speakers.
<falls flat on the floor in shock and excitment>

Oh wow, well I'll definitely be making every effort to attend... If someone could kindly pm me the link to ticket sales then I'll get one on the hope that I'll make it!
Moonraker

Re: EB Day

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: We need to sell some more tickets as at present the numbers are well down on last year. The event should be a 'must' for Famous Five fans like George@Kirrin as we have both Julian and Dick (aka Marcus Harris and Gary Russell) from the 78 series coming as speakers. It would be a terrible shame to cancel the event so hopefully applications will start flooding in before I reach the point of no return!

Tony
Goodness me, with a record number of Journals being sent out, what is happening? It is a MUST to attend, so come on, organise your lives and book tickets! If people are coming from New Zealand, what is your excuse?! :roll:
Society Member
Neasa

Post by Neasa »

I am hoping to go this year, couldn't go last year sadly. I was so jealous when people started posting about it! I'll have to try go this year!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Enid Blyton Day

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Ali:] "The most incredible thing has happened, I just have to tell you all!!!!
I was explaining to my husband about the Enid Blyton Day coming up in May and he said "well, why don't you go". (Just so you truely understand the impressiveness of this statement, we are in New Zealand!)"

That's amazing, Ali! Hope you're planning to bring back a super-duper present from Britain for that gold-star husband of yours :D .

Great to hear that George@Kirrin may be coming too, and Neasa from Ireland!

See you there!
Anita
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

What with these messages and some more on another posting Tony's wishes will come true. My partner (Sue) and myself went for the first time last year (we were both very new members) not knowing what to expect. We had a very throughly enjoyable day. We have already submitted our requests for tickets again for this year and are looking forward to it. Let's hope it is not cancelled it will be a real shame.
Tony Summerfield

EB Day

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Many thanks for the enthusiastic response from both those who have bought tickets and those who are hopefully going to! Unfortunately we have two threads on this subject going at once and I lack the knowledge necessary to combine them into one, so as this is the busier of the two I thought I would post here and hope that both Emma and Georgina pick up on it.

I have already said that we have both Marcus Harris and Gary Russell attending as speakers and we intend to add to the Famous Five theme by showing extracts from as many of the different series/films as possible including an English language version of the Danish film 'Five Go Adventuring Again'. As this was never released few people will have seen it.

Adding a bit more meat to the bone (apologies to vegetarians) we are also going to have Robert Tyndall up on stage with his easel. For those that don't know him, when Harmsen van der Beek died in 1953, Robert was one of the main Noddy illustrators that took over from him and he is responsible for illustrating much of the merchandise as well as a number of the Noddy books. We will be able to see an illustrator in action.

As usual some of the leading children's book dealers in the UK will be there with a dazzling array of goodies. We also have caterers present throughout the day for drinks, snacks, meals etc. The doors open at 10.30 and more formal proceedings start at around midday. We normally finish at about 4.30.

Tickets cost £10 and can be paid for by cheque or online by PayPal (I will wave the commission here) - if you are unsure how to do this please get in touch with me.

So thanks for all the Forum enthusiasm, but we do need to translate some of this into ticket sales - all the dealers are coming from a considerable distance and it is essential for both them and the caterers that the event is well attended. Those who have bought tickets already will have noticed that as yet I have not banked any of the cheques in case the worst happens and I have to return them, but I am optimistic that this will not be the case.

I hope to hear from some of you before decisions have to be made.

Best wishes
Tony
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I definitely mean to come to the Day - though I haven't booked yet. I've been three times now, and this years speakers certainly sound a top-notch selection!

hope to see you all there!

Rob
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member