Enid Blyton Day 2012

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Katharine

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2012

Post by Katharine »

I know I'm not an expert on book prices, but I did feel that some of the prices being charged were unrealistic, but then maybe there are people who are prepared to spend such sums? Although I seem to remember reading that one particular edition of a book had been on the seller's stall 2 years in a row.

I felt very sad at Tony's words about it possibly being the last day on such a scale, but I can understand why. My biggest regret is that I didn't make it to any previous days. Partly because I only discovered the site about 5 years ago, and partly because I was unable to attend due to family commitments. Still, I'm trying to be positive and remind myself that I was lucky enough to be able to attend one, and that weekend will be something I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Julie, you aren't a dinosaur, I hadn't even discovered the Society back in 2007.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:Of course if the sellers priced their books more reasonably I'm sure they would sell a lot more of them and make more money...
I can see this from both sides, Fiona. I agree with you that we all want to pay less for our books (I haven't bought any books at the EB Day for a few years now!) but let's look at this from the dealers' points of view. They are all experienced sellers and most attend a great many venues, so they do know what sort of prices they can get for their books and therefore why should they reduce them for the EB Day. Also since the advent of ebay, where so many people now use a DIY service instead of selling to dealers, they have had to pay considerably more to be able to maintain a quality stock. If they aren't going to sell books at the EB Day their time would be better spent elsewhere.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I guess that all of us would be very very sad if there were no more Enid Blyton days. I only wish I had joined earlier and been to every one! Perhaps Tony might be persuaded to organise the occasional one - if we are deprived we might spend rather more on dealer's stock when we do see them! It makes the Beckenham Day even more important this year - how will we get to know each other otherwise.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I still hope there will be one more EB Day next year in May while we'll be in Europe. We would love to attend.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock