Enid Blyton Day - 2002?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Katharine

Enid Blyton Day - 2002?

Post by Katharine »

Wasn't sure quite where to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Does anyone know of a booklet entitled Teacher's World 1922 Special? I've just seen one sold on E-Bay, but as it was in with a lot of Society Journals which I already have it wasn't worth me bidding for it. I've done a bit of sleuthing, and I think it may have been connected with the EB Day in 2002.

What I really want to know is, if it's connected with the Society whether it's available to purchase by anyone who didn't attend the day? If not I'll just keep watching E-Bay.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Enid Blyton Day - 2002?

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was actually working on that booklet last week, I am considering possibly reprinting it. I am slowly working on all the early Journals at present, so far I have redone Nos 1-5. I am not intending to reprint them, but I hope at some stage to get them up onto the website - probably in the Members only Secret Passage as there will be no charge for them.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Tony.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That would be really wonderful Tony. I have never even seen the early ones. I'm sure they look mighty different to the huge publications we get these days.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Perhaps the following list will be helpful:-

Enid Blyton Society Publications

Enid Blyton’s Magazine 1953-1959: An Index (1994)
Sunny Stories 1942-1953: An Index (1995)
Enid Blyton’s Sunny Stories 1937-1941: An Index (1996)
Sunny Stories for Little Folks 1926-1936: An Index (April 1998)
The Wonderful Adventure (June 1999)
The Teachers World 1922 – Friday Afternoon Stories (May 2002)
The Teachers World 1926 – Monthly Seasonal Stories (May 2003)
Letters From Bobs (May 2003)
Enid Blyton in the Sunday Graphic (July 2003)
More Letters From Bobs (July 2003)
Amelia Jane: Short Story Character Booklet No. 1 (November 2003)
Bobs Again (November 2003)
Mister Meddle: Short Story Character Booklet No. 2 (March 2004)
Enid Blyton in the Evening Standard (March 2004)
Feefo, Tuppeny and Jinks: Uncollected Picture Strip No. 1 (July 2004)
Letters from Bundle and Cosy & Enid Blyton [Sunday Dispatch] (July 2004)
Tales of the Circus (November 2004)
The Exciting Birthday (November 2004)
Farmyard Tales (November 2004)
Fun in Toy-Town (November 2004)
The Secret Seven: Uncollected Picture Strip No. 2 (May 2005)
Merry Moments 1925: Uncollected Stories from the 1920s No. 1 (May 2005)
Wendy Wins Through (May 2006)
The Luck of the Laytons (May 2006)
A Non Stop Run (May 2007)
Sports and Games (May 2007)
Jolly Times (May 2008)
Bobs and His Friends: Uncollected Picture Strip No. 3 (May 2010)
More Bobs and His Friends: Uncollected Picture Strip No. 4 (May 2010)
Tony Summerfield

Lucky Star wrote:That would be really wonderful Tony. I have never even seen the early ones. I'm sure they look mighty different to the huge publications we get these days.
Yes, they are a bit different, John. They have far less pages and fewer illustrations, but I have just been scanning Journal 6 and it reads like a who's who of the Blyton world with contributions from Imogen Smallwood, Gillian Baverstock, Norman Wright, Gary Russell, Robert Tyndall, Sheila Ray, Mary Cadogan and our old favourite, David Cook - a quality list. Earlier issues also had articles by Barbara Stoney, David Rudd and Carey Blyton.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Earlier issues also had articles by Barbara Stoney, David Rudd and Carey Blyton.
I recently obtained a copy of the journal with the Carey Blyton article. I was astonished to read that his address was only a few miles from where Enid did her teacher training, in a small town which I frequently visit. I was thrilled to think I might actually bump into him whilst shopping. However it wasn't long before I realised the article was so old that the poor man had actually died several years ago. :cry:

I've found some of the articles fascinating. It's also funny to read about the forthcoming release of the videos and audio tapes, which now seem to be hard to come by and only available second hand.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I love the old Journals, perhaps my favourite article appeared in 10 (Winter 1999) - Barbara Stoney's article entitled Putting the Jigsaw Together - Part 3: Green Hedges in Wartime as Sarah Aynsley Remembers. This thread just made me re-read it - how I'd love to get my hands on the older Journals! It's fascinating to see Barbara work her way through writing the Biography.

Tony's list made me smile. Remember my mad rush to the Society stall? :lol: :D Proud to have a copy of much of the most.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:[it reads like a who's who of the Blyton world with contributions from Imogen Smallwood, Gillian Baverstock, Norman Wright, Gary Russell, Robert Tyndall, Sheila Ray, Mary Cadogan and our old favourite, David Cook - a quality list. Earlier issues also had articles by Barbara Stoney, David Rudd and Carey Blyton.
Those were the days, what a pity I missed them. Not that our current crop of writers do anything less than a sterling job but that list just sounds really exciting. Thanks for the list of publications as well Tony. I have a few of them but not nearly enough.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Remember my mad rush to the Society stall? :lol: :D Proud to have a copy of much of the most.
I shall never forget my first sight of you at that very stall. Tony's immortal words, "Ming's inside" on our arrival at Loddon Hall still ring in my ears. What an achievement, too, to appear on a cover of the Enid Blyton Society Journal. You are certainly permamently housed in the Society Hall of Fame! For me, that was the best Society Day so far. :D

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

What a nice picture of Ming and Nigel both look beautiful.
Tony Summerfield

I don't think that Nigel is all that used to being referred to as beautiful!! :lol: :lol:
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Tony i thought you are too formal but you are not so you are getting cheeky :lol: . I like it.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony is quite correct - although beauty is reputed to be in the eye of the beholder. I would have thought Beauty and the Beast would have been more applicable for that photograph. :shock:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Don't tell me you've got an expiration date in the form of a wilting rose on you. :cry:

Society Member