Enid Blyton Day 2010

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Moonraker

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2010

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:
I struggled to imagine it at first: but I think maybe it means pasting the paper with one arm and hanging it with the other?? :?
But if you're a one-armed paperhanger, you wouldn't have another arm, would you? :?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:
I struggled to imagine it at first: but I think maybe it means pasting the paper with one arm and hanging it with the other?? :?
But if you're a one-armed paperhanger, you wouldn't have another arm, would you? :?
True... :?

Perhaps one armed paper hangers have to work twice as fast?? :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

tiq

Tony has fixed it – he gets around like a one-armed paperhanger attending to this and that during which he takes his hour-per-night nap.
Nigel

I am struggling to imagine how a one-armed paperhanger gets around! An amazing description, though. I've always imagined him as an octopus type creature, with a different project being managed in each tentacle - his scanner buzzing away in the corner like an overworked robot.
Rob

Anyway: whatever it means, Tony certainly must have at least eight arms!!
What the fantastic imaginations!

But actually he has sheer passion and determination.

I am forever amazed to see this website.VERY COMPREHENSIVE.

3 websites I always visit are:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (maintain by Tony Summerfield,Keith Robinson and Anita Bensoussane)

http://gadetection.pbworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (maintain by Jon Jermey)

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (maintain by Lucinda Surber and Stan Ulrich)

All of these websites are very fantastic.Their information are gold mines to me.I also love cozy mysteries forums or any other forums which relate to mystery and Enid Blyton.

Thank you Tony,Keith and Anita for your hardworks.They do not get paid or are they getting the pay,actually?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

sixret wrote:Thank you Tony, Keith and Anita for your hardworks. They do not get paid or are they getting the pay, actually?
We don't earn any money for what we do on the website or for the Society, Sixret (Tony would be a rich man if we did!) but seeing people making good use of the site is a sort of pay. And don't forget that we get as much from the site as anyone else who visits it regularly. As well as learning a lot about Enid Blyton from various contributors to the forums and message board (even Tony says he is always learning new things, either from the site or from fans who contact him directly), we come to know other Blyton enthusiasts and, in the process, learn about all kinds of subjects while enjoying fun and friendship. In doing moderation etc. I'm only paying back a very little of what I''ve got out of this website and the Blyton Yahoo Group over the years, and of course out of Enid Blyton's wonderful books which have been part of my life for as long as I can remember.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

A one-armed paperhanger has to dash here and dash there and dash everywhere – he has to be literally in half a dozen places at once.

Is that not Tony? One moment he’s helping to look after these forums, and the next moment he’s scanning a pile of books (that alone takes all night) and then he’s dashing off to organize an Enid Blyton Day. In between times of course he’s shoving more stuff into the Cave and then having to sit down and write personal messages (I got one just the other day). Telephone rings –

“May we interview you, we have a question about Enid Blyton’s cat.”

“Just hold it!”

Mad gallop to turn off the scanner.

“Yes! Whoops, sorry, could you excuse me a moment there’s someone at the door!”

That’s a one-armed paperhanger!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, tiq! That just about sums up Tony perfectly! :D
Society Member
Julie Davis

Post by Julie Davis »

Hi its jo
Fantastic report anita just read it...... i will put that in my book of memories you captured the day perfectly and i love the photo of us together.. You always do a great job on the sites thankyou you're a star... :D
have fun julie (JO)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Cheers, Julie (Jo)! :) Those of us who came to the EB Day were delighted to meet you and I know we must have nearly worn you and the others out with our constant questions and requests for signatures/photos! As far as the report of the Day is concerned, we'll be adding links to further photos (many of which are already on the forums anyway) when we've had a chance to sort through them and write captions.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I saw this link on the same page as listening to Enid speaking about her writing.
Hope I've copied it okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXB_4gQ87MQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Julie. It brought back some happy memories of a wonderful day. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, that was a great E.B. Day, Eddie. I couldn't hear it very clearly though, so it was either their sound or my hearing! :shock:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That reminds me of a DVD I watched the other week. I quite often watch with the subtitles turned on, especially if others are in the room doing other things and there's a bit of background noise. And many films have quiet and loud parts, and unless I keep turning the volume up and down I can't always find a happy medium so the subtitles are helpful. I've always put the blame on the film-makers, especially those responsible for sound. However, the last DVD I watched didn't say "Subtitles" as usual - it said "Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing". It's as though they were saying, "It's not our fault if you can't hear the film properly - the problem lies with your ears!" :lol:

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

My wife often thinks I am going deaf as I don't seem to listen to her very well!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm so glad it's not just me that can't always hear the dialogue properly on the TV. Sometimes I have the sub-titles on because of back ground noise, but if I'm watching a DVD I'll find myself constantly rewinding bit to try and catch what was said.

Francis - I think that's a man thing, it's called 'selective hearing'. I bet your 'deafness' is worse when she's talking about redecorating the house or the fact that she needs new shoes. :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also have a hearing problem with some films on DVD, especially the more recent ones. The dialogue seems much clearer on older films from the 1950s and 1960s. It must be something to do with the types of microphones used then.

However, I do actually have a hearing problem and have hearing aids which I'm very reluctant to use, much to Chick's dismay. The joys of getting older! :cry: Mind you, she has always accused me of having selective hearing. You're probably right when you say it's a man thing, Katharine.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member