Enid Blyton Day 2010

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Tony Summerfield

Enid Blyton Day 2010

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just three weeks after the last one I can hardly believe that I am posting this, but next year's Enid Blyton Day has already been pencilled in for Saturday May 15th 2010. We normally try to stick to the second Saturday in May, but May 8th had already been booked by a local drama group who take Loddon Hall for a full week. Last year I left the booking until June and all the Saturdays in May had already been booked and it was only due to Barbara Stoney intervening that we managed to get May 9th this year.

Having said this, as I feel at the moment, I would rather leave the search for speakers to someone else next year. It is getting increasingly difficult to find good speakers who have something meaningful to say about Enid Blyton and her work and this year gave me many sleepless nights. I knew I was under pressure as after the 2007 Day, on leaving the Hall someone was heard to remark, 'If that's the best he can come up with for speakers, I won't bother to come again'. A number of regulars who have been to most Days in the past did not bother to come this year and this has to be entirely my fault.

I know that I have to do something better than simply to have Fred Bloggs talking about his collection of Second World War cigarette cards, and I do get several suggestions floated in my direction, but that is as far as it goes and I am expected to 'do the business' entirely on my own. If the Day is to continue to prosper this is something that needs to change! :roll:
Sue Bell

Re: Enid Blyton Day 2010

Post by Sue Bell »

Hi Tony,

Wonderful! Have pencilled in the date already! Tony, you have always done a brilliant job of organising "The Day", and having been to most of them, must say they are always thoroughly enjoyable, and more than worth the long trip from Cornwall.... It is always good to have an entertaining & humorous speaker, but have been told repeatedly by many customers over the years how much they enjoy just coming along, meeting others, looking at Blyton items to add to their collection, or merely just for the interest & nostalgia. As a collector myself, I so agree. I am sure the speakers don't really influence 95% of those who come, and aren't the most important factor. As you so rightly say, without resorting to the banal, boring, or just too modern, it is so hard to continually come up with fresh entertainment, even supposing the chosen would oblige! ( Quickly trying to think of reasons why we could have Rafa Nadal, David Tennant & Marco Pierre White!!!) Whoever, whatever is there next year, we can all look forward to another happy day with many like-minded people, and I would like to most sincerely thank you for all your continuing hard work. It is so appreciated.

Sue xx
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: on leaving the Hall someone was heard to remark, 'If that's the best he can come up with for speakers, I won't bother to come again'. A number of regulars who have been to most Days in the past did not bother to come this year and this has to be entirely my fault.
Tony - you are being too harsh on yourself. If a publisher supplies you with a speaker who is unable to speak, that is not your fault.

For myself, I'm looking for an entertaining and informative day. I particularly enjoy old film or radio clips.

What are the highlights for eveyone else?

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I knew I was under pressure as after the 2007 Day, on leaving the Hall someone was heard to remark, 'If that's the best he can come up with for speakers, I won't bother to come again'. A number of regulars who have been to most Days in the past did not bother to come this year and this has to be entirely my fault.
You will never please everyone, in fact, it's no mean achievement to please most people (which you have more than done)!

Please don't blame yourself for 'missing persons', this happens; as far as I can see, it is their loss if they stay away! I certainly take your point about organising speakers. From our many conversations on the subject, I know a little of the difficulties you've encountered, and many a weaker man than you would have given up on that score long ago.
Sue Bell wrote:I am sure the speakers don't really influence 95% of those who come, and aren't the most important factor. As you so rightly say, without resorting to the banal, boring, or just too modern, it is so hard to continually come up with fresh entertainment, even supposing the chosen would oblige!
I'm sure you feel better now, Tony - all that work and it doesn't influence 95% of those present! :wink: Seriously, I know what Sue means, and must say I agree with her! I would attend even if there were no speakers. To me, the wonderful part of the day entails meeting friends, old and new, and spending time browsing at the dealers' shelves. Maybe it's different for us Forum members as we have people we know cyberly (?), to a member with no interest in the forums maybe speakers are more important.

However, I think you are very sensible in wanting to escape the constant hassle of speaker-searching. Just please don't think you are in any way responsible for the fewer people present this year. Without you, there would be no Society Day.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not to make light of what it obviously a difficult problem, but I can't help wanting to suggest having Helena Bonham Carter up on stage talking about what it was like to play Enid on screen :!: Not sure if that ones even possible though :?:

I've never been to an EB day but from whats been said on the forum, the fantastic speakers have been applauded (the fellow that played Julian springs to mind, Marcus was it?) and no shows or not so interesting speakers have been briefly mentioned, then quickly lost in positive comments about bumping into so-and-so or the brilliant purchases made.

If I finally make it to an EB day I'm sure I'd enjoy the speakers, but if there weren't any, or were only a few I don't think it would impact too greatly on the day.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote:Not to make light of what it obviously a difficult problem, but I can't help wanting to suggest having Helena Bonham Carter up on stage talking about what it was like to play Enid on screen :!: Not sure if that ones even possible though :?:
I too would love to hear Helena Bonham Carter speaking about her role as Enid but I know from talking to Tony that actors are particularly difficult to get as speakers because they may suddenly find work at short notice and therefore can't commit to a particular date far in advance. And contacting them often involves going through their agent rather than speaking to them personally. Tony has in the past tried to get "big names" like Kate Winslet, Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson and others, but either they're busy or their agent doesn't get back in touch. Michael Morpurgo was actually booked to speak at the Enid Blyton Day a few years ago (he was Children's Laureate at the time) but had to pull out a couple of months beforehand owing to his busy schedule.

I wonder if anyone on the Forums is in touch with anyone who could potentially make a good speaker? And if so, would you be willing to approach them yourself (after checking with Tony first)?

I'm another one for whom having the chance to meet and chat to fellow Blytonites means more than listening to the speakers, though I have enjoyed listening to all the varied speeches/presentations over the years. In particular I enjoyed the talks by Gyles Brandreth, Ken Howard, Tim and Eva Rice, and Marcus Harris and Gary Russell. I like seeing the film clips too, such as the Noddy in Toyland and Island of Adventure clips, the (Danish?) Famous Five clip and the short film of Kate Winslet talking about her cassette recording of the Faraway Tree books. The audio clip of the Australian Mystery of the Burnt Cottage was very entertaining this year.

I'm aware that it takes a lot of work chasing people up though, and indeed getting the whole Day organised, and that things don't always go as smoothly as one would hope. Your hard work is certainly appreciated, Tony, but I can understand that it must get harder and harder year by year.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I can just echo what others have said. Tony you have always done a fabulous job on organising the day. I can understand that you might be getting a bit sick of the constant effort for, often, a poor reward but let me assure you that many of us do truly appreciate everything. I am another who will still come to the day even if there were no speakers at all. Could a programme of rare or old flim clips etc be put together as an alternative? For me as others have said it is the whole atmosphere of the day with its great people and the book dealers which makes the event truly special. As for those who didn't attend this year they missed some truly excellent speakers and presentations. You did yourself proud this year for sure.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

As another who appreciates the whole day as a time when we can meet and chat, I would be very sad to see the day having to be abandoned for lack of attendees(?). It did cross my mind soon after this last day that maybe a few quizzes would go down quite well??? Would people be interested in trying a few of the monthly quizzes we have had on this site I wonder. Answers could be provided towards the end of the day. I have enjoyed seeing film clips etc. of the various TV adaptations which have been produced over the years particularly as I have never owned any and hardly saw any when they were originally screened. If one speaker could be procured? obtained? found? I think the rest of the time could be happily filled with other activities. Perhaps you might appeal in the next journal for any ideas Tony, as it is obvious that we forumites are only a very small group out of all the people attending each year, and others who don't appear on this forum might like a say also.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hear! Hear! I agree entirely with the sentiments expressed by John! Tony, this year's Day was superb, and to echo John, you did yourself proud for sure. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've only attended two EB Days, (didn't know they existed before I joined the society) and I've thoroughly enjoyed both the days I've attended. Can't wait for the next one already. :D I agree that you can't please all the people all of the time, but I think, Tony, that you do please most of the people all of the time. I loved listening to the radio of the Find Outers this year. Excellent. So for me, I would enjoy watching any kind of clips or listening to them.

To listen to Helena Bonham Carter about her role as Enid is an excellent idea, but as already mentioned, I guess it must be extremely hard to get actors to attend because of their own working schedule.

Also a great part of the day is also meeting everyone who shares the same interests, speaking to forumites and browsing, and buying from the books stalls.

I think you do a good job, Tony, but do understand that the pressure you are under must be enormous.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Just three weeks after the last one I can hardly believe that I am posting this, but next year's Enid Blyton Day has already been pencilled in for Saturday May 15th 2010.
Thanks for the advance warning Tony, I will see if I can get the day off granted this time! 12 months notice should be just about sufficient for my roster department.
I knew I was under pressure as after the 2007 Day, on leaving the Hall someone was heard to remark, 'If that's the best he can come up with for speakers, I won't bother to come again'.
I would not be inclined to be too offended by the words of just one misery guts. (if you pardon my French),there's always one isn't there? :roll: I was not at the 2007 Day, but by all accounts it had a very good programme of events. I certainly enjoyed this years Blyton Day and found the speakers to be very good indeed. I understand that a lot of hard work took place behind the scenes to make this possible due to one or two speakers cancelling at short notice.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Hmm. It's all very well to have speakers organized, but if for some reason you can't get "enough," or one or two drop out, why not just embrace the opportunity to have more meet and greet time in the hall?

As much as I enjoy the speakers at the Days, my regret (both times I've been) is that time flies too fast. In fact, at the last Day, I remember standing on the patio when the video for The Island of Adventure was playing. I was looking in and thinking, "Well, I'd like to go and browse the books again, or talk to so and so before I leave..." -- but since I had to leave fairly early, around 4.30pm, I didn't get the opportunity and had to sneak out while the video was still playing.

I wonder if it would matter if there were fewer speakers? This would allow people to meet and greet beforehand but also allow plenty of time after the speaker(s) to continue shopping and chatting. The only thing I don't like about the setup of Loddon Hall is that the book stalls are in the hall itself, so you either settle down and listen to the speakers and watch the videos, or shut up and go outside, where you can look longingly through the patio doors at all those books on shelves, quiet and forlorn, whispering "buy me, buy me..." :cry:

All that said, I'd love to see Helena Bonham Carter!

I might also like to suggest that if someone else is organizing speakers, this might be the perfect opportunity to get someone on stage who would easily enthrall and delight -- Tony Summerfield! He has a lot of Blyton history and knowledge, knows many Blyton-related people, and can lay his hands on some extremely rare and unique items that belonged to Enid Blyton herself. I honestly can't think of anyone more interesting to listen to!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Keith Robinson wrote: Tony Summerfield! He has a lot of Blyton history and knowledge, knows many Blyton-related people, and can lay his hands on some extremely rare and unique items that belonged to Enid Blyton herself. I honestly can't think of anyone more interesting to listen to!
Hear, hear. What a splendid idea, Keith. Tony, you are just the person to go up there on stage with all your rare and unique items that belonged to Enid Blyton herself. I'm sure everyone will be glued to their seats listening to you speaking. I can't think of a speaker more perfect for the EB Day :D :D :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Keith Robinson wrote: Tony Summerfield! He has a lot of Blyton history and knowledge, knows many Blyton-related people, and can lay his hands on some extremely rare and unique items that belonged to Enid Blyton herself. I honestly can't think of anyone more interesting to listen to!
Brilliant idea, Keith! :D I couldn't agree more - so how about it, Tony?

I have already marked next year's Day in my diary. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Given that this speaker is always available on that day, and known to be in the vicinity, I shall be heard to be muttering very much if he doesn't put in a public appearance.... :P

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017