EB Day 2007 - The Aftermath...

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

EB Day 2007 - The Aftermath...

Post by Jools »

Just back from my first EB day. Apart from the books and memorabilia (and of course the lovely Marcus and Gary) it was wonderful to meet you all.
*Apologies to Viking and Lucky Stars for thinking they were girls* :oops:

Will post more later but for now am off to open the wine and catch up on the rest of the site.

Oh and spare a thought for Zoe who still has 2 hours on the road. :D

Just split the original topic into before and after the event so we can put reviews, thoughts etc into this one :) G@K
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Just back also. A great day and met lots of interesting people, including forum members for the first time. Like Jools I'm a bit shattered, and will post more about the day later or tomorrow.
Jools wrote:*Apologies to Viking and Lucky Stars for thinking they were girls* :oops:
I hasten to add that was before Jools met us :wink:

I believe Lucky Star also apologised to Jools for thinking she was a man. :lol:
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Just back too. What a great day. Too shattered to post a full review but I'll make some attempt at that tomorrow.

Met lots of great people, picked up a couple of book bargains, got Marcus and Gary's autographs and filled up on a delicious Blytonian picnic. :D
Oh and spare a thought for Zoe who still has 2 hours on the road.
Just got a text from her and she's doing well on her journey.
Jools

Post by Jools »

The glass of wine has given me second wind (no puns please) so here are my personal highlights.

* Finding my way to Twyford without getting lost
* Barbara Stoney signing my copy of The Biography
* Bargain hardback Famous Fives and Find Outers
* Prabhu wearing a Noddy hat sitting in a Noddy car
* Gary and Marcus' memories of the 70s (and if you read this Gary please consider me for gofer when you film the FF locations. I have my own thermos)
* Viv and Rosie's apple cake, Anita's macaroons and Viking Star's potted meat sarnies
* Hearing that Ming will be speaking on Radio 4
* Putting faces to the names of forum members, fantastic to meet so many

And did I mention Gary and Marcus?

Brilliant. Can we do it agin next week?
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I'm glad you all had a great day. Fortunately our day house hunting wasn't in vain. We've found a lovely house and our offer has been accepted, so it helps make up for missing the Enid Blyton day :-)
Hopefully I'll make it next year!
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Just checking in!

Just got home, Saffy behaved very well, weather was pretty horrific - especially for 1 speed wipers!!

Was a fantastic day, really enjoyed meeting you all :)

Off now for a cuppa and bed, will post a review tomorrow

G@K
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
peppermint peppy

Post subject: Re: Enid Blyton Day 2007

Post by peppermint peppy »

Gonna try to come next year.In some way I'm a little bit envious. :oops:

To (Lucky+Viking)xStar.
Certainly,you were dressed up to the nines very properly. :wink:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Well, another successful day has been and gone.

Firstly my heartfelt thanks to Tony and all the others who helped make the event possible.

I arrived at 10:45, having been on the road since 7, listening to the 78 series sound tracks as I chugged down the various motorways.

As I'm not a veteran of the days (hey, this was my second ok!) I knew what to expect. Tony as friendly as ever, and finally meeting Laurence and Tini (my Ebay nemesis) was a great start. Jools was quick to pop up and recognise me from my horrid photo on this site, and then the Stars and Nige, popped up. Ming I recognised also, and the person who is the epitome of a gentleman Prabhu (Noddy13) was a wonderful sight.

The stalls held their usual tempting offerings, leaving me wondering if both my wallet and my shelves could take the strain of yet more Blyton artifacts....

The guest speakers were thought inspiring, and the additional speakers Marcus and Gary (Ju and Dick from the 78 (and let's face it, the only) series) was a great addidion, feeding from each other on the stage, and I'm sure in time Gary could be worn down to do a few scenes.

The Castle of Adventure I maintain is the best film adaptation of any of Blyton's work and I was aghast at how few in the audience have seen it. I've a good mind, if I am successful in my quest to buy some land to set up a large projector and invite all to come up, camp in the field and watch it. It was a shame I felt that only one clip was shown as the film is truely great.

Plenty of time for chatting was to be had, and lots of new friends, previously only known on here were met. It really was lovely to meet you all, and I really hope we'll all be together again soon....

Then, onto the picnic....

I'd not planned on going, thinking my long drive should be started as near to 4:30 as possible, but hey, what's an hour... or two...

Superb idea and implementation, sat at the shore of Gloomy water, Nige, Jools and I disappeared into Middlecombe woods, stopping and running back when we heard the Spook Train (it's true, just ask them) Fantastic food was shared out, Jools and I feeling guilty as we'd rather gatecrashed, but there was still plenty and special mention I think has to go to Anitas fab baking and Viv's excellent pudding... and of course the dinner service set that Hyacinth Bucket would have been proud to eat from - massive thanks and well done (or should that be Famous Fvie style slaps on backs?!) to all involved.

I got home at 22:40, wondering what I'd let myself in for, when I said I would organise...... (and this isn't to hijack this thread, I'll set another one up and also get a website organised closer to the time) the first '78 day.

I, and others, felt that the programme of the day just couldn't accommodate for the popularity of the 78 series. To that end, I'm planning a day devoted to the '78 series, taking in some of the locations in the New Forest, with talks and lots of quizzes etc, swap meets etc. The date etc is TBA, though anyone wishing to speak to me about it, can pm me.

Anyway, I'll go now, Satin needs riding and the poor tired car needs a wash!

Thanks again to everyone who went for making my day so special :)

G@K
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

----------------------------

Look below for the full post :oops:
Last edited by Ming on 13 May 2007, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Jools

Post by Jools »

I really enjoyed Nicolette Jones' speech too.
She reminded me a little of Mrs Rivers (as I perceive her to be) in a neat coat and skirt. :)
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Ming is going to be on Radio Four? Oh when when??
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The famous Twelfth had arrived. Hurrah!

With the car pointing towards Reading, Jane and I set off, picnic bag packed and SatNav programmed to Loddon Hall Road, Twyford (after getting lost last year, trying to follow Tony's short cut)!

We got to The Hall at about 11, (Okay, we did have to make a few U-turns, so SatNav isn't perfect, and who can remember all those country lanes anyway - apart from Tony?). Through the doors, getting our badges, and then into the hall proper. Hurrah, again!

There is certainly a feeling of deja-vu. The inside hasn't changed at all! A browse along the bookshelves was delayed as so many familiar faces (and unfamiliar ones) were greeted. This year, there seemed many more members from the Forums. The highlight of the day, for me, was meeting so many of you.

However, on to the serious stuff - the talks!

Nicolette Jones was on first. She is, amongst other things, the children's book reviewer for the Sunday Times. She gave a very interesting talk on children's writing, making comparisons, sadly inevitable, with authors such as J K Rowling. (I still don't see how JKR (as much as I love her books) can be compared with Blyton - JKR will have soon written seven books - wow!) Nevertheless, a really fascinating talk.

Much munching and chatting followed as it was the break for lunch. Another chance to take part in browsing the array of splendid titles and other items.

The afternoon session opened with a talk by author Duncan McLaren on his forthcoming book, This is His Enid. He described in some detail the purpose and content of his book which I won't re-iterate here. Interestingly, the cover illustration was the cover of Five on Kirrin Island Again. The telescope was the correct way round, and the back cover was meant to show it the wrong way round. However, the publishers took this to mean the complete illustration, so it was a mirror image of the front cover!

An additional act was then squeezed in (squeezed too much for most of us). Marcus and Gary had arrived. Hurrah yet again! My word, I - and I suspect many of us - could have listened to Ju and Dick for hours. Two greater speakers could not have been found! They reminisced on the 70's TV series, adding their unique blend of sparkle, wit and knowledge; making for a truly interesting twenty minutes or so. May I plead that next year, they be given at least an hours slot - surely they deserve to be Top of the Bill?

We were promised to be shown two Adventure clips. Sadly, the first, The Island of Adventure was in the wrong format, and couldn't be shown. The silver lining in that cloud was that we were spared the awful Norman Bowler's portrayal of the wonderful Bill Smugs!

Happily, we were able to see one (of the promised two) clip from the excellent TVS adaptation of Castle of Adventure. Here I must fully endorse Zoe's opinion. It is the best adaptation of any Blyton book. The character of Sam (Brian Blessed) was, IMO, a great "addition".

The marvellous Brian Blessed was spot on cue: "A picnic? Not a good day for a picnic!" Why were we robbed of the final clip, though?

Talking of cues, it was a good day for a picnic. 13 of us set of, as Zoe previously posted, to Middleton Woods. We finally decided to lay our spread by Gloomy Water ( just this side of a sign proclaiming Animals Grazing! Yet another highlight! Great craic, great food and great company - what more could you ask for! The rain kept away, although the wind blew! Wisha-wisha-wisha went the trees....

Back to the car park, and sad goodbyes. :cry: (Well, a little light relief was provided by Jools' car and Zoe's "We Are The Famous Five blaring out from her car stereo!) It was with a certain sadness that Jane and I drove back towards Salisbury.

Nevertheless, who could be sad for long. We had just experienced a day of highlights! It was really, really great to meet you all! Matt, at last! Frank (he stayed in Salisbury, next door to Tony's, Friday night, and neither of us knew!!!), Prabhu (yes, Zoe, what a gentleman), Paola - thanks to whom a Forum Photograph was taken), Anita - the mother of our society :wink: , Jools, Beli, Viv, Rosie, Zoe, Georgina, Daisy, Lucky Star, Viking Star, Laurence, Ming and anyone that I have inadvertently missed out.

Ming. Well, to me, she was the star of the show. How we all took her to our hearts. Here is a twelve-year old, who travelled 5,500 miles on her own, to be here with us. I am sure I speak for all when I say that since we have welcomed her to our family, she has delighted us with her intelligent and witty posts. Ming, you are a credit to your family and a great little ambassador to Bangladesh. Enid would certainly have welcomed you to her family.

Thanks must go to the organisers of the day. Tony must be singled out. I know that he has spent days and days in organising speakers and all the hundred and one things that go into make this such a phenomenal success that it was. Where would we be without you Tony? Also, thanks must go to Viv and Rosie for the picnic in the woods. Dorset Apple Cake, ginger beer, blancmange, jelly, sandwiches, the mini-bus, the map.......we wouldn't have done it without you (I did think you went a bit far, posting Ginger pop posters on the trees though!) :lol:

And, most of all, let's give ourselves a pat on the back. What a privilege it is to belong to the Enid Blyton Society. Without this great organisation, we would never have met!

When Enid Blyton sat typing away, all those years ago, she couldn't have known what she would be responsible for!

Roll on next year!

Hurrah!
Society Member
Moose

Post by Moose »

More pictures! And names to go with them!

That's you with the long dark ponytail there isn't it Nigel? ;)
Time to die.

EF
Moose

Post by Moose »

BTW I am gonna come next year. You Have Been Warned.
Time to die.

EF
Katy

Post by Katy »

Hello everyone! I too had a great time yesterday, I particularly found Nicolette Jones very interesting. As a newbie I did learn a lot too which is always good! I unfortunately had to leave just after Duncan McLaren though, but I'm nice and filled in now from your reviews. Did anyone get any good pictures to post?