General Journal Natter

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: General Journal Natter

Post by Rob Houghton »

This price increase idea comes up every year - and I agree wholeheartedly with it. However, members don't have to wait for Tony to put the price up - they don't 'have' to only pay £10 a year until it officially goes up. If they feel like paying more, then there's nothing to stop them! Many of us do pay more for our subscription and have been doing so for several years! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

A great sentiment, Rob, but I believe it needs to be official for it to be sustainable and for us to ensure this Society is able to continue for the long term. How about it Tony - I believe you will get overall support for this from the membership.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Oh, I agree - but it's what many of us do - including me. trouble is, membership is going down, I think, so chances are putting the cost up wouldn't help! :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have changed the title of this thread as I felt it was unhelpful for potential new members who were considering joining as at present I am the only person who knows what is in it so nobody would be any the wiser as to the contents by reading this thread.

As far as a price increase is concerned, as Rob has said there is nothing to stop someone subscribing a bit more and a few people already do so. I do feel that a mandatory increase could have a detrimental effect as we are already leaking members and a price increase might be the wake up call for others. I think one of the problems is that some of our new members subscribe for very young children (I have actually had one or two emails asking if it would be suitable for a six year-old grandchild - I do say 'no'!) and understandably they don't resubscribe. I am a lot more worried about members who have had Journals for many years who suddenly stop and there are always one or two with every issue.

To give you one fact and figures, before I increased the overseas prices to stop making a loss we had 92 members outside this country - we now have 63. Also it is worth adding that last year we had 93 new members, but this year with a few weeks to go we are currently only on 60.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I seem to recall that many Journal subscribers have little/no contact or interaction with these forums.

If forum members here who are Journal Subscribers all decided to voluntarily pay more than the current rate each based on their own circumstances that would surely help the Journal.

I also wondered if a small general page in each Journal to reach those that never see these forums that stated that the cost of the journal remains the same but any extra received would be kindly appreciated and would help maintain the Journal for future readers.

I don't know if that suggestion is understandable,but it would give forum subscribers and Journal only subscribers the opportunity to increase the amount they paid for their subscription without actually putting the price up?

It's just a suggestion, but if only a small percentage from each group did pay a bit more voluntarily that would hopefully ease some financial strain against all the rising costs of paper,postage,printing etc etc...

Even if this suggestion was tried for about six months or so, it would be interesting to see if the concept was helpful - surely no one would feel the need to cancel their subscription if they felt they honestly could not afford a price increase however small?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good points about a price increase perhaps prompting some Journal readers to stop subscribing. It's worrying too that the number of new subscribers each year is dropping.
pete9012S wrote:I also wondered if a small general page in each Journal to reach those that never see these forums that stated that the cost of the journal remains the same but any extra received would be kindly appreciated and would help maintain the Journal for future readers.
I like your suggestion, Pete!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’ll be more than happy to pay extra for my subscription when my renewal is due, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I wasn't asking for more money, or even hinting that we needed some, I can always cut down on the cost by having fewer pages and needless to say reducing the print run! I must admit that the cost of this forthcoming Journal took me a bit by surprise as they have increased the printing costs quite a bit and I have messed up by having slightly more colour than usual which I thought it would be okay with a smaller print run - I was wrong! We should still break even which is all I am interested in, but I will need to sell most of the Journals.

One figure that I didn't give you in my post above (when I said that so far this year we have had 60 new members), is that we have actually lost 129 subscribers over the last three journals. The new members always used to outnumber the lost subscribers.

A much more serious problem for me is going to come when I lose Windows XP. None of the things that I currently use on a Journal will work with Windows 10 and as I have said before that even includes printing the addresses. Remembering how long it took me to just be able to do a little with my computer, I am not prepared to go back to square zero and learn a whole load of new things! :roll:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Great idea to have a general Journal thread.

Its worrying that so few new members have signed up...and just as worrying that so many older members have left! We badly need a high-profile film or documentary etc on TV or cinema, which would boost interest in Enid Blyton again. I'm rather disappointed that the publishers haven't decided to mark the 75th anniversary of the Famous Five in a more conspicuous way to be honest.

Hopefully they'll make something of the 50th anniversary of her death next year.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

When 'Enid' was shown on TV in November 2009 it produced 37 new members, but I don't think that many of those stayed with us.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It could be that people's lives change and they move onto something else too, which is probably why they don't subscribe. I don't think it's the cost, as smoking costs much more than the Journal does.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:We badly need a high-profile film or documentary etc on TV or cinema, which would boost interest in Enid Blyton again.
Although it would help if it was a balanced, accurate, fair and reasonably positive one... :( Hopefully, as you say, the 50th anniversary of her death might be marked somehow.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't think it's the cost, as smoking costs much more than the Journal does.
And the Journal, while possibly addictive, is a lot better for one's health! :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:And the Journal, while possibly addictive, is a lot better for one's health! :mrgreen: :wink:
It doesn't smoke so well though. :P
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: Sssssmokin'! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Not that I would ever set fire to my Journals, I might add!! :shock:

I agree its very good value for money. Really hope we somehow can get some new members though. :-(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member