Journal 63

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 63

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote: I love Eric Parker's illustrations too (I'm in a minority of one there I think) it's quite possible I read it when it was serialised in Princess comic, I was an avid comic reader then, which probably explains why I like the pictures so much.
I completely agree about Eric Parker's illustrations - I love that style of comic illustrations. They're lively and quite modern, and suit the story very well.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I have read almost half , I wanted to read it all but I've not had the chance to because I got so absorbed in it I read it much slower than I usually read things . This is not a magazine to skim read, every article is like a fine meal to be savoured and devoured in delight not bolted down too quick to appreciate it, so here's my thoughts on what I've read so far.

The cover is very evocative, just looking at it brings back memories of my own school summer holiday visits to various Blytonesque beaches. I don't think anything can beat being on a sandy beach on a proper summer day for a real wave of Blyton nostalgia. Even better if there's an old castle nearby, which in this part of Wales at least, there always seems to be :lol: .

I haven't yet read The Mystery That Never Was but looking at comments it appears to be another 'Banshee Towers' on here, and as I'm seemingly the only one to like that, I'm curious to know if this will be the same. I'll get it read and post back on here about this one.

The article on Dorset is marvellous (far far better than the article on Enid in the Dorset magazine!). I've never been a holidaying/travelling type, I've never felt the need to be when all the sorts of places I like are practically on the doorstep for free, but Dorset is somewhere I would make an exception for, for obvious reasons, and the article makes it sound even more enticing. I didn't know however that there is an Enid Blyton shop there that has closed :( . What a great shame, I bet it was a wonderful place to wander around and a good tourist attraction for the area. Has it moved online instead like a lot of small shops have done or has it gone completely?

Rob I thoroughly enjoyed your article on the fairyland stories. The Queer Adventure /The Yellow Fairy Book I've never read and haven't got yet. Looking at the illustration I agree with you that the huge rather frightening looking dog is like the ones in The Tinder-Box, it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

The Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair books though, well they hold a special place in my heart and always will. I was bought up on those, they are the two series that got me hooked on Enid Blyton. My mum's favourite as a little girl was The Faraway Tree, it is the only childhood book she still has tucked away in the loft. My dad would read the Wishing Chair stories to me every night without fail. My mum had seen the book before I was born, recognised it was the same author as the Faraway Tree stories she had loved so much and bought it on the off-chance I'd like Enid Blyton (she must've known somehow!). I loved these series, the idea of strange lands at the top of a tree - and yes I also used to think of them as being on a giant disk that gets rotated when the next is ready to appear - and a chair that flies to fantasy far away places was magical and utterly captivating to my very vivid imagination. I'm sure the reason I didn't get bad dreams as a child was because I was read these every night! Like you I also pictured Moon-Face as having an actual round full moon for a head, and the children's playroom exactly like you've put, except with a wooden floor instead of a stone one. I've always thought of the playroom as being a wooden building and so thought the floor would be too.

I enjoyed the story about skating, I love the way Enid always managed to put a moral and lesson into her short stories that give food for thought without being a lecture. It was drummed into me never to skate or walk on frozen ponds, but if it hadn't been, reading that story would have certainly made me think twice about attempting it.

The articles on collecting and dust covers are a very interesting read. I saw a copy of On Guard Spot on ebay a day or two back and now I can't find it! Wish I'd taken more notice of it now :x . The dust jackets article is very descriptive and has made me look at some of the ones I wasn't fond of (the Adventure ones) in a different light. My top ten though would have to be the Famous Fives, the Faraway Tree, the Galliano books, Mr Pink-Whistle, Mr Twiddle, the Hodder storybooks, the Bedside books, the Cherry Tree Farm books, the Holiday books and my ultimate favourite, Shadow the Sheepdog. Generally though I like most of the wrappers and picking one out is hard as they all offer something and add to the book.

That's as far I've got for now, I'll do a part 2 when I've finished the rest!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for your kind comments, IceMaiden - and I'm pleased you enjoyed my article! Like you, I was introduced to the Wishing chair and Faraway tree books (and others) because my mom remembered them as a child. She had Sunny Stories during the 1940's and the stories had stayed with her right through to the mid 1960's when my sister was born. We were lucky to have this Blyton influence in our lives, and of course, it had everything to do with my obsession with Blyton!

I'm pleased to hear you also imagined the lands at the top of the tree to be on a vast disk, and Moonface as having a moon shaped head! I think I formed this impression from Rene Cloke's illustrations in the Dean books - as these were all I saw until I was in my mid 20's.

:-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

The latest index up to Journal 62.

Index62
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Many thanks for the latest index, Lenoir. I'll add it to my file. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Journal 63 devoured!

I particularly enjoyed the articles from Don & Emilia. I don't recall reading anything from either before and it's always nice to read about how Enid's work impacts people on a personal level.

Many thanks to all contributors for another outstanding issue.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree - I love that type of article. They were both very interesting additions to the Journal. Reading Don's article about collecting, I suddenly realised that I, too, must be considered a 'serious collector' - although I have never thought myself in that way until today!

8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It sounds so good.I'm hoping mine arrives today!

Edited to read:

Hurrah! It's arrived!!! :D :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:Many thanks for the latest index, Lenoir. I'll add it to my file. :D
Ditto to that, Lenoir!

Returning from a holiday in the Trossachs, my Journal was waiting for me on the door-mat. I look forward to devouring its contents in due course. Thanks Tony and all the contributors.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I just received the Journal!!!!!! It's looks lovely and I'm definitely going to start devouring it right away!!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very much enjoying The Journal - as always. I haven't read the short stories by Enid yet, as I generally save those for last. I very much enjoyed Julie's look at Susie from the Secret Seven - and I agree with her that sometimes I wonder if Enid is wanting us to like this character or feel annoyed by her! I have often thought that Enid was very tongue in cheek with this - secretly rooting for Susie, whilst having her main characters find her annoying - almost as if Enid is enjoying teasing the Seven just as much as Susie does! She's by far the best character in The Secert Seven books, in my opinion.

I also enjoyed John Lester's 'Cover Stories' - and I agree with many of his choices - though of course my 'top ten' would be in a different order and would contain a few different books. I thought it was an interesting idea for an article though. I think I'd find it difficult to find my number one favourite - it would probably be a toss-up between Sea of Adventure (as my avatar pic proves!) and The Rub-a-Dub Mystery - because I have to agree with John that this is a very striking cover indeed - especially the wrap-around version.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Hopefully I'll find my Journal on the mat when I get home later tomorrow. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm also away from home until tomorrow, so I hope the same. :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hooray, I did come home to find the Journal waiting for me! Just love the cover! :D

Haven't had time to read a lot of it yet, but I've browsed a bit and already enjoyed Julie's article on Susie. I've only ever read one Secret Seven book (Secret Seven Adventure), but I remember very well how it starts out with Susie stealing Jack's SS badge and using the latest password to enter the shed, declaring "I'm a member too! I know the password and I've got the badge!" :P From all else I've read about her, I would tend to agree that she is an interesting and very intelligent character and it was really quite unfair of the Seven to keep excluding her — I suspect she keeps on annoying them largely because she's excluded. That, unfortunately, is how children's cliques tend to work — "you're not playing 'cause you're not in 'our' group" is something probably a lot of us have heard (or said) at school — so really, I think Enid was being quite realistic in the way she portrayed Susie's rivalry with the Seven. I'm glad to know she gets her own back at times! :wink:

Looking forward to reading more when I can, as so many of the articles look excellent — thanks, as always, to all the contributors and of course to Tony for his hard work in pulling it all together.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I enjoyed Daisy's second part of Anne Kirrin's Journal - a really good read, though rather sad in parts. I was interested to see well-known characters appearing towards the end! Well done on this Daisy - very well written and also informative - it feels like this is the real history of the Kirrin family and its hard to believe they didn't all really exist. That's the mark of a good story teller. :-)

I also enjoyed 'From My Window' - although I didn't think it was one of Enid's best. I love her descriptions, and they are very observant - shows how much she thought about nature, and could weave a story around most things - but for me it would be difficult to beat her description of walking on a windy day, which I think appeared in another Journal. It was so brilliantly observed and written!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member