Journal 63

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 63

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Now I'm puzzled as to why? :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

No malice just my poor sense of humour. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

well unfortunately it came across as if the person posting as Angela was trying to intimidate certain members for comments they had made. It certainly didn't come across to me as being done for innocent reasons. Not very clever. :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Stop it, Rob!!! :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm just saying how it came across. Think a bit more next time maybe. After all, setting up a false account isn't something someone does just as a laugh - it takes a few minutes of calculated planning.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Could I just make an explanatory remark regarding this whole issue, since it seems to have got way out of hand?

Several days ago in this thread, I wrote a post expressing disappointment with Journal articles that do little other than reiterate the whole plot of a story, and mentioned an example from some time ago. I deliberately did NOT give the author's name, not wanting to be personal about it — in fact, I didn't look up the article in question and wasn't absolutely sure who it was by. But subsequent posters did name the author and raise the concern that she might read this and be be offended.

Looking back, I had to agree my earlier post was unfair and I regretted writing it. So I edited out the paragraph that could have identified the particular article (and from there the author), and posted to say I'd done so. I was hoping everyone else who'd commented would have the good sense to edit their own posts that mentioned Angela Canning's name so there would be no chance of her being offended at all and we could let the whole matter drop. Unfortunately, not everyone did, and the kerfuffle has gone on, including a member now pretending to post as Angela Canning just for a joke, which as Tony and Rob have indicated, really wasn't funny in any way.

(In fact, I have seen a similar thing happen before when, in another discussion where several people made negative comments about illustrator David Tazzyman's "cartoony" style, a new poster with the name "David Tazzyman" suddenly appeared and posted "Hello, thank you for your comments" or similar. I wonder if that was the same joker at work? :? )

I'm sorry to have inadvertently started this fiasco — and my sincerest apologies to Angela Canning if she has read any of this discussion (I have read many articles by her that I've enjoyed and was not meaning at all to single her or anyone out for complaints)! — but I'm even more sorry that it's carried on like this so needlessly. I wish I hadn't made my original comments in the first place and I also apologise to my fellow Society members and forum users for causing this disruption in what is normally such a friendly and fun community.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I'm sorry to have inadvertently started this fiasco — and my sincerest apologies to Angela Canning if she has read any of this discussion (I have read many articles by her that I've enjoyed and was not meaning at all to single her or anyone out for complaints)! — but I'm even more sorry that it's carried on like this so needlessly. I wish I hadn't made my original comments in the first place and I also apologise to my fellow Society members and forum users for causing this disruption in what is normally such a friendly and fun community.
I don't blame you at all, Courtenay.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay - I see no reason why you need to apologise, as you were just speaking your mind, and as you say, you didn't even name the person concerned. We don't have an obligation to enjoy every sort of article/post/series/etc that is produced, after all!

As Tony said, he gave the joker ample time to come clean in a PM and they didn't...so to be honest, the joker deserves to be brought to task - I'm sure Enid Blyton would agree! :twisted: It could have all been sorted out privately, but the joker was happy to let it become public. I, for one, as people know, speak my mind! ;-)

As Sixret says 'What goes around comes around...'

I didn't realise a similar thing had happened before - which of course points to it being the same person. I can't understand why anyone would set up a fake profile on here, pretending to be someone else, just as a 'joke' - and to be honest, pretending to be someone else online is actually against the law.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Impersonating another Society member/writer of Journal articles strikes me as unwise as well as unpleasant. I don't mind articles of mine being criticised - all writers have to expect that from time to time - but I would certainly mind someone making public comments in my name and trying to make people think those comments came from me.

I intend to say more about the Journal, which I thought was a great read as always, but it'll have to wait till I have more time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Impersonating another Society member/writer of Journal articles strikes me as unwise as well as unpleasant. I don't mind articles of mine being criticised - all writers have to expect that from time to time - but I would certainly mind someone making public comments in my name and trying to make people think those comments came from me.
Yes, I think that you have got to the crux of the matter, Anita. In the past I have (for a laugh) invented a new forum member - The Angry Pixie. Tony was Mischief and I believe Pete was Miss Pepper. However, we all soon owned up, and in any case none of us was impersonating a real person/pretending to be another Society member. I see nothing at all humorous in this latest impersonation - especially as Angela is a valued Society Member and friend. I assume that sixret (by wording and smilie) and the later comment to Rob's posting (Stop it, Rob!!! :D )sees no harm in what she did, and indeed finds it funny. I find that somewhat worrying.

Courtenay, your posts in this thread have no bearing on this incident, so don't feel you are in any way to blame.

That's my twopenn'orth anyway! I just hope that this thread hasn't been soured by this incident - distracting conversation away from one of the best Journals ever.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I believe that Journal 63 is one of the best I have ever read and it's a shame that we are discussing someone pretending to be someone else instead of commenting on the many marvellous articles enclosed within it.
Daisy wrote: I have heard that recently Fanny unearthed a dusty old box from the attic which contained a bundle of letters..... :wink:
Can't wait. :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

John Pickup wrote:I believe that Journal 63 is one of the best I have ever read and it's a shame that we are discussing someone pretending to be someone else instead of commenting on the many marvellous articles enclosed within it.
Well said, John. In the meantime, getting on with the Journal (I tend to read just a few articles at a time and stretch it out!), I've now read Angela Canning's article on Dame Slap and Her School, which I really appreciated. I hadn't heard of this particular story and it's interesting to find out about a very different "Dame Slap" character from the one most of us know from the Faraway Tree series — not to mention how Enid's own style of teaching and attitude to children might have compared! I do think I'd rather be taught by the furry Dame Slap of Breezy Hill than the Dame Slap of "Why is a blackboard?" fame... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I always read each issue of the Journal from cover to cover on the day I receive it and I always look forward to and enjoy the experience. The latest issue maintains the very high standard set by previous issues and I thoroughly enjoyed reading every single article. Congratulations to every contributor and to Tony for all his hard work in producing such a superb Journal for Enid Blyton enthusiasts - and at such a reasonable price. I have all 63 issues and they take pride of place in my main bookcase. Three cheers for Mr Summerfield! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

John Pickup wrote:I believe that Journal 63 is one of the best I have ever read and it's a shame that we are discussing someone pretending to be someone else instead of commenting on the many marvellous articles enclosed within it.
Daisy wrote: I have heard that recently Fanny unearthed a dusty old box from the attic which contained a bundle of letters..... :wink:
Can't wait. :D
Very well said, John! :D

The issue has been blown out of proportion by some people who like to prolong it. Apology is meant to stop the issue right away but it didn't apparently.

I repeat, there was no malice intention and it was out of my poor sense of humour. Unwise, yes. Malice, no.

Knowing me, I love joking around people that I have felt comfortable with. I am very sure, Courtenay can understand it. Kudos to Courtenay! :D

There's no need to worry anything, Nigel. I have known you for more than 10 years online, it has struck me that you love to comment and chip in on any issue that had arisen. It's nothing new. I am the type of people who would never hold any grudges. So just drop it, and move on, will you? :D

I repeat. Apologies for everything. Drop it and move on with journal discussion. :D

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think that's pretty rich coming from you, sixret! You impersonate a real person then have the gall to criticise others for voicing their opinion. You say an apology should stop the issue. Just posting "Apologies for that. :D " isn't an apology. Especially with a laughing smilie after that. I certainly don't want to prolong it,as you suggest, but my word, you have some cheek even in suggesting that!
John Pickup wrote: it's a shame that we are discussing someone pretending to be someone else instead of commenting on the many marvellous articles enclosed within it.
I had had my say and didn't intend to say any more. However, although it is a shame, I don't think you can expect people to just shrug it off. If sixret had properly apologised and expressed regret, I am sure that would have been the end of it. As she hadn't, I see some discussion to be inevitable.
sixret wrote:There's no need to worry anything, Nigel. I have known you for more than 10 years online, it has struck me that you love to comment and chip in on any issue that had arisen. It's nothing new. I am the type of people who would never hold any grudges. So just drop it, and move on, will you?
You are just not getting it, are you. You are in step and the rest of us are out of step. I remember you outbidding people on eBay and thinking it perfectly acceptable. I guess your morals are different from most of us here.
Courtenay wrote:I've now read Angela Canning's article on Dame Slap and Her School, which I really appreciated.
Blimey! I've seen some backpeddling in my time, but that takes the biscuit. I thought you hated reviews that gave all of the plots away. :?
Society Member