Journal 62

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Journal 62

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:I've added the link to my favourites, so I don't have to rely on symbols on my desktop. Additionally I can export and import the list in case I have to switch the machine I want to use.
Wolfgang, if I would be as young as you are, I might try a different system, but it took me quite a while to get used to PhotoScape's many options that now I'm glad that I found something that doesn't get changed every 6 to 12 months (like Hotmail or Yahoo). I'm using it since at least 2009, maybe longer, and I don't remember one single update. Thank God :)!

What's wrong with symbols/icons on my computer? Do I need to be aware of some danger? Mine are right below the url line.

In the contrary to your computer (my browser is Mozilla) I never find my bookmarks again. :cry:
Even though I remember that I added a certain bookmark less than 4 weeks ago, it's gone when I check through all my bookmarks. I don't know where it ends up when I click on "add to my bookmarks", all I know is that it's not among them when I look for it. :?
I don't have enough time to constantly put my new bookmarks into certain folders, so I just keep adding them hoping they will still be there the next time when I check for them.
That's why for the most used websites like EBS, my inboxes, imdb, amazon, public library website, Netflix, TCM, PuffCam etc which I use every day, I have icons and use them a lot.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

With Google chrome I've had the same bookmark list for years - even when I've changed computers! :-D

I agree Tony - when I search 'Enid Blyton' the society is the very first one on the list. :-) But I wasn't thinking of first-time visitors to the site, as I don't think they would be immediately looking to join the Society, but people who return several times, and people who only go to the forum part of the site, so don't realise about the Journal. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:With Google chrome I've had the same bookmark list for years - even when I've changed computers!
My computer is ca. 4 years old now. I started out with Internet Explorer (the bookmark list worked well, I found every bookmark later on), but had trouble with writing longer e-mails in Hotmail. They did not get saved in "drafts" when the computer broke down (which happened almost every week).

Then I had Google Chrome and at first there were less break downs (the bookmark list worked perfectly), but the break downs accumulated and the same thing kept happening: nothing was saved in "drafts".

Finally amazon's technical help page suggested to try Mozilla. All of a sudden (since my husband changed my browser to Mozilla) the many break downs stopped, every e-mail gets saved in "drafts" ever since, BUT the bookmark list is no longer what it used to be.
I think I'll stick to Mozilla nevertheless. :roll:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:I've added the link to my favourites, so I don't have to rely on symbols on my desktop. Additionally I can export and import the list in case I have to switch the machine I want to use.
In the contrary to your computer (my browser is Mozilla) I never find my bookmarks again. :cry:
Even though I remember that I added a certain bookmark less than 4 weeks ago, it's gone when I check through all my bookmarks. I don't know where it ends up when I click on "add to my bookmarks", all I know is that it's not among them when I look for it. :?
I don't have enough time to constantly put my new bookmarks into certain folders, so I just keep adding them hoping they will still be there the next time when I check for them.
That's strange - I use Mozilla Firefox, and I don't have any problems with my bookmarks...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
timv

Post by timv »

I've been looking through the 'Famous Five Bedtime Jigsaws' in the Journals, and from their topics I wonder if they were originally designed by Eileen Soper as having at least one for each Famous Five adventure. It would be interesting to know in what order they were created and sold originally. Were some originally designed for the books and left out? They seem to reference the Five's activities on the holidays described in different books, but usually not parts of the story.

In Journal 62, no. 53 (speedboat) presumably references 'Demon's Rocks', no. 54 (snow) 'Get Into A Fix', no. 55 (riding) 'Mystery Moor'), and no 56 'Camp Fire' either 'Caravan' or 'Wonderful Time'. If you look closely at no. 53 and know the area you will see that the line of cliffs behind the boat seems a pretty close copy of the Southern coast of the Isle of Wight seen from the West at sea - the cliff to the left being Tennyson Down by the Needles (which is off picture to the left), the next cliff the Compton Down hill range behind Compton Bay, and the right-hand cliff by the steamer St Catherine's Point. The resemblance would seem too close to be coincidence, though it is not exact. This view is too far from Swanage seafront to be sketchable from that point, so did Eileen Soper use someone's postcard or photo?

The view of the Five in a speedboat off the Needles and its lighthouse(one possible inspiration for the Demon's Rocks lighthouse as it is also on a reef off a cliff) reminds me of the 1980s UK BBC yachting drama serial 'Howards Way', set nearby. Its later series also had an opening sequence of a speedboat and yacht off the Needles.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

You can see the order of the BeStime jigsaws in the Cave, Tim. Some relate to other series/characters but the first Famous Five one is No. 29 from 1955. They're not closely linked to the books as there are titles like 'Five in the Garden', 'Five at the Zoo' and 'Five on a Climbing Holiday'.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... numjigsaws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree though that the only one I have, where they are skiing, is very similar to Five Get Into A Fix - so a few are linked, but not all. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The best place to see the BeStime Famous Five jigsaws is in the Famous Five section where you can see all 20 together with the date that each batch of four was produced.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/famo ... andpuzzles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None of the jigsaws has any connection with any of the books, they are simply putting the Five into as many different situations as possible.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hmmm...not sure I agree, lol! ;-) While I do agree that probably not all of the jigsaws are meant to illustrate a scene from a book, 'Five Have Fun In the Snow' (which is the only one I actually own) is surely based on Five Get Into A Fix? They are skiing in mountainous countryside, the puzzle came out in 1958 - the same year as the book, and there's a mysterious old house depicted on the far slope! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, I think Five Have Fun in Snow might well be based on Five Get Into a Fix, Rob. Five Have a Wonderful Time (No. 46) and Five Fall Into Adventure (No. 47) clearly relate to the books too.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Rob Houghton wrote:Glad you enjoyed it IceMaiden (even if you didn't read my article yet!!) ;-) The Journals are really worth having, as I can see you have found out for yourself!

I do think one of the problems, as I've said before, is that, basically, The Journal isn't advertised ANYWHERE - except on this website and a few others, I mean. I first joined the Society when I saw a small 'advert' for the Society in #The Enid Blyton Dossier' when I bought it in 1999. This is the only published book I've ever seen the Society advertised in.

I think occasionally it was also advertised in 'Book and Magazine Collector' but only if there was an article in there about Enid Blyton.

This isn't a criticism - its just a shame it can't be advertised elsewhere. As its an adult Society rather than aimed at children, there aren't many books it could be advertised in.
I will read your article as soon as I've read the book Rob :D .

I've got the Dossier but I don't recall seeing an advert in it, I'll have to go back through it to see where I've missed it! I'm trying to remember if it was advertised in the Mystery & Suspense magazines, which is the only EB magazine I've ever seen, but I don't think it was as if I'd have seen it I'd have joined it at the time. It's a shame it's not advertised though so people know it exists, I certainly wish I'd known!

Just a thought, but would advertising it in new re-prints of the books work, in the same way the Famous Five Club was advertised in the H&S hardbacks? Admittedly it wouldn't have made any difference for me as I don't buy modern re-prints, but new upcoming children do, and if they've got into Enid Blyton from the parents, perhaps the parents would see it and be inspired to join followed by the children themselves when their old enough. I don't know how much you have to pay for even a small advert in a book though so maybe it's too costly.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: I've got the Dossier but I don't recall seeing an advert in it, I'll have to go back through it to see where I've missed it!
I've just checked, and its on page 95 of The Dossier. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony Summerfield wrote:I'm afraid in this case these books are not going to turn up in a hurry, as I said in the Journal there are nine books in this particular series and as yet only two have turned up. I still reckon that there are about 20-30 books waiting to be discovered that Enid wrote for Birn Brothers all in the 1920s. Several, like the two pictured above, have no credit to Enid Blyton at all, so even if people have them they are not going to know that they are Blyton books. It is only when I put them in the Journal and eventually into the Cave that they suddenly leap in value.

How do I know that they are by Enid Blyton - because I have a record of them in an early workbook that she kept, but even this is not straightforward as she sometimes used 'working titles' and in some cases the title was changed when the books were published. There is no other record of these books anywhere as they are not in any copyright libraries and nor were any of them mentioned in reference books of the time. It does help, as in both these cases, that some of the poems were used again in later Birn Brothers books that were credited to Blyton. Play-time is already in the Cave and eventually Toyland will join it.
I've just been looking at Toyland in the Cave:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... le=Toyland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks very much for adding it, Tony. A rhythmic collection of poems which bring various toys to life, though I doubt the second rhyme would ever be republished now! 'The Toy Farm' strikes me as having an odd ending - and what a peculiar illustration of "little Teddy Bear" on the final page. He looks more like a person wearing a pantomime cat costume! Rather a strange book really and not the best example of Enid Blyton's verse, but it's always good to see these early publications.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Tony. Very much appreciated. This is the only way we can read the ultra-rare and scarce books.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Yes! Very interesting. Many thanks, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member