Journal 62

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Journal 62

Post by Daisy »

Thank you for your kind words John. I enjoyed writing Anne's Journal. I have read all this latest journal now and enjoyed the articles in it. Anita's piece about Tales of Long Ago has made me take another look at my old copy again. I have a feeling it hasn't been opened for many years! I was never very drawn to old myths and legends as a child but as always, the way Enid puts over the old traditional tales does help to make them more appealing.
It was interesting to read of the making of the films... and how much more there is to it than one often appreciates. I also like reading of how people enjoy their favourite books, so Angela Canning's article and also Rob's were very interesting. I have the older version of the Strange Ruby and was amazed at the difference between that and the later one.
In fact, every item had its merits and as always I have appreciated the whole attractive issue.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:The Gang of Three! :roll:
As long as that doesn't make us "gangstas"! :lol:
John Pickup wrote:Tales Of Long Ago is a book I've never read and one I've never been drawn to. Anita's article gets off to a brilliant start by mentioning her old schoolfriend and her memories of reading to each other at playtime. I'd heard of some of the stories such as Midas and Ali Baba but I was quite taken with the story of the old man and the black dogs. The younger man's wife, the fairy, seems such a brutal person wanting to kill the older brothers or sink their ship before transforming them into two black dogs. Just like a horror story!
Thanks, John. We moved house just two weeks after my 6th birthday and I never saw that friend again but I'd love to know if she remembers our Blytonian reading sessions.
Daisy wrote:Anita's piece about Tales of Long Ago has made me take another look at my old copy again. I have a feeling it hasn't been opened for many years! I was never very drawn to old myths and legends as a child but as always, the way Enid puts over the old traditional tales does help to make them more appealing.
I was/am drawn to old myths and legends but even though I've now read many versions of the Greek myths and Arabian Nights tales I still find Enid Blyton's retellings particularly engaging.

Nick Hopkins' article on the making of the Cloud 9 Adventure Series was fascinating as always, accompanied by a great selection of photos. I was interested to read that The Mountain of Adventure was shot first as I think that was one of my favourites last time I watched the series. Harry Duffin picks out River and Ship as two episodes which suffered, among other things, from "severe budgetary constraints" so I'll have to look out for that next time I watch the DVD.

A 26-week shooting schedule isn't very long to tackle eight such varied, action-packed stories set in a range of locations and I can see why Raymond Thompson describes the project as "really a very ambitious and very brave undertaking." It's interesting to hear of the problems caused by inclement weather and short winter days, resulting in scripts being hastily rewritten to bring outdoor scenes indoors. Good point from Raymond Thompson that when writing books "you're limited just by your imagination. In film and television you're limited within a budget and the logistical elements, and it's difficult to balance the creative and the fiscal."

How lovely that David Taylor (Jack) felt such a bond with the cockatoos which played Kiki, especially one called Benny which he fed with food from his mouth like a mother bird!

The comment by Ryan Runciman (who was Lucas in The Ship of Adventure - they obviously didn't like the name Lucian for some reason!) that Alexis Jackson (Dinah) was "rude" and "clearly very precocious" suggests there were tensions between cast and crew at times. Fortunately, that doesn't show in the finished product.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry, but I seem to have missed the plot completely now reading this thread. If it isn't the banana stuff that is off topic, then what is?
Tony Summerfield wrote:I rather foolishly thought that this thread might have been about Journal 62, I suppose I should have known better by now! :roll:
:?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it was the stuff about us reading before we started school, etc, Julie. the Banana stuff wasn't off topic really - though some people who didn't realise the connection might think it was! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Maybe I should have followed you hear and I wouldn't have raised the anger of The Gang of Three! :roll:
Gosh, am I a member of a gang? How exciting - it comes as quite a surprise to me at my time of life!
Sorry to disappoint you, my old friend, but the gang consisted of Rob, Courtenay and Anita!

I usually read the Journal from cover to cover, but this time I have picked out the articles that grab me the most. I always read the editorial first and really enjoy reading between the lines. Was that a nod to Vera at the end?

Smuggler's Top, being my favourite 'Five' was the first to read. Although more of a plot summary than a review, it was still a good read. It was interesting to red of Sveti Stefan - that illustration totally summed up the appearance of Castaway to me, complete with the church giving a nod to Smuggler's Top, with its tower.

I don't think it was strange that Sooty knew of the plan to drain the marshes. Rumours flourish, and although the plans might be secret, I am sure that the villagers would have heard about it - Barling did, after all, although i admit that was down to Block's spying. There is also no mystery as to why Enid called the wall, a city wall. I give you this dictionary definition:

City Wall:
A defensive wall is a fortification used to protect a city, town or other settlement from potential aggressors. In ancient to modern times, they were used to enclose settlements.

Ilsa's Anne Kirrin's Journal was so different from what we expect to read. Not a plot review or examination of Enid's work or characters, but a fantasy writing of what might have happened. I initially queried (to myself) why it was called a journal and not a diary. But checking with my friend, the online dictionary I read this:

Diary and Journal are synonyms, but there is an important difference: ... It is much more personal than a diary. It contains feelings, emotions, problems, and self-assurances and can be used to evaluate one's life. For a journal, one does not just record one's experiences but also thoughts, feelings and reflections.

I should have known better. As if Ilsa would make a mistake with he English language! A really fascinating article and one with which I look forward to continuing.

I have little interest in Enid's Tales of Long Ago, but I will read it - as I read all of Anita's 'in-depth' articles. Who knows, Anita may tempt me to read the books!

Tony's model-making piece was an eye opener. There is no possibility of me ever having the dexterity to accomplish this feat of engineering!

I have much more to read, and I will do so as and when I can.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

My journal arrived yesterday!!!! :D I'm so delighted!!! I'm gonna start reading it today... It's always so exciting to come back from school and see the journal there, and then know you have all that reading to do! I think the EBS is just the BEST!!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Ilsa's Anne Kirrin's Journal was so different from what we expect to read. Not a plot review or examination of Enid's work or characters, but a fantasy writing of what might have happened. I initially queried (to myself) why it was called a journal and not a diary. But checking with my friend, the online dictionary I read this:

Diary and Journal are synonyms, but there is an important difference: ... It is much more personal than a diary. It contains feelings, emotions, problems, and self-assurances and can be used to evaluate one's life. For a journal, one does not just record one's experiences but also thoughts, feelings and reflections.

I should have known better. As if Ilsa would make a mistake with he English language! A really fascinating article and one with which I look forward to continuing.
I agree - I've really enjoyed reading Ilsa's 'Journal' piece in the Journal! ;-) It very well written and makes us want to read on - which is the most important aspect of any fiction in my opinion. :-D I also like the characters - though I must admit its quite a sad story so far!

I also just learned that since the age of 17 I have been writing a Journal in my Diary...!! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:I always read the editorial first and really enjoy reading between the lines. Was that a nod to Vera at the end?
On reading your post I thought you meant Vera Duckworth, Nigel! I then looked at the editorial and realised you were referring to Vera Lynn!
Moonraker wrote:I have little interest in Enid's Tales of Long Ago, but I will read it - as I read all of Anita's 'in-depth' articles. Who knows, Anita may tempt me to read the books!
If you're only tempted to read one of the tales, I think 'The King with the Golden Touch' (about Midas) is a particularly good retelling.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks to a busy work schedule I have only just managed to start Journal 62. So was it worth the wait? Of course; it's the EBS Journal after all. I read the editorial as soon as I got it as always and then continued straight into Rob Houghton's ...Strange Ruby part 3 article. As always with Rob I was immersed immediately even though I have not actually read either the original or Gillian's update. From the article though I know exactly which one I want to read. Gillian's characters would rather have Coca-Cola??? Sacrilege! Really a very interesting comparison of the two books. All the more so since in this case the person doing the rewriting is Enid's daughter who has now also sadly left us. I also loved the illustrations accompanying this article.

I found the letters between Enid and Carey very interesting. I don't think Enid was particularly helpful to him in her reply; basically that he should try to get his old job back and don't call me I'll call you type thing.

Angela Canning's article reminded me that I must attack the job of re-reading the Famous Five this summer; her fine study of Smuggler's Top reawakened my love for this, probably my own personal favourite FF entry.

I really loved Ilsa's Anne Kirrin's Journal. It was extremely well written and gripping right from the start. As Nigel said it's a somewhat unusual entry to the Journal but all the better for that. I thought it a very inventive way of giving us a possible history of Kirrin and I really felt I could smell the salt on the air and see the vicar dressed in black banging on the door. I do hope we get another follow up article to this one (hint hint) although if so I pray that poor little Anne Kirrin finally gets to experience a little joyfulness as my heart was aching for her in this entry.

On to Anita's article and after several paragraphs I was seized with a certainty that I must read Tales of Long Ago for myself. I do like mythology though haven't read a great deal and what better place to pick it up again than in an Enid Blyton book. I also got terribly excited as I have a couple of unread Deans on my shelf and became convinced that Tales of Long Ago was one of them! Sadly when I jumped up to fetch it it turned out that the volume I was thinking of was Tales of Brave Adventure; a different book altogether. Perhaps you could do that one next Anita? :lol: As always a great and highly descriptive article from Anita. I will just have to hit ebay for the right book. It will not be the first time I have done so after reading a journal article.

As always Enid's own contributions were most welcome and I reflected as every other time how great it is that the journal brings these wonderful old stories back to life as they would most certainly be completely forgotten otherwise. The colour sections were beautiful as ever and I still have several articles left to read, hopefully over the weekend. Thanks as always go to all our wonderful contributors and especially Tony who this time is both a contributor and the ever brilliant editor.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:I found the letters between Enid and Carey very interesting. I don't think Enid was particularly helpful to him in her reply; basically that he should try to get his old job back and don't call me I'll call you type thing.
True. Carey was probably hoping his aunt would have "contacts"!
Lucky Star wrote:I also got terribly excited as I have a couple of unread Deans on my shelf and became convinced that Tales of Long Ago was one of them! Sadly when I jumped up to fetch it it turned out that the volume I was thinking of was Tales of Brave Adventure; a different book altogether. Perhaps you could do that one next Anita? :lol:
Sorry you didn't have Tales of Long Ago sitting on the shelf, John. I must admit I was never too keen on Tales of Brave Adventure - although my son loved it when he was little. I think that's because just about all the main characters are male and there are lots of stories about battles and confrontations, involving groups of knights (King Arthur stories) or outlaws (Robin Hood stories). By contrast, in Tales of Long Ago we get to know a greater variety of individuals intimately, both male and female, and I find the stories more moving and dreamy and exotic.
Lucky Star wrote:As always Enid's own contributions were most welcome and I reflected as every other time how great it is that the journal brings these wonderful old stories back to life as they would most certainly be completely forgotten otherwise.
Yes, we're very lucky to have the chance to read this rare material. A big thank you as always to Tony for his hard work in bringing us another beautiful, informative and entertaining Journal.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:I initially queried (to myself) why it was called a journal and not a diary. But checking with my friend, the online dictionary I read this:
I'm sure Daisy is correct. This might just be the language barrier between English and German, but like Nigel I assumed all life long that a diary is actually more personal than a journal.
Just think of "Anne Frank's Diary" where she shared all her feelings, emotions and problems.

A journal is (at least for me) a travel journal, for instance Simone de Beauvoir's travel journal about her first trip to the US shortly after WW II which was published later and is a wonderful reading experience.
I write a travel journal on each trip since 1980, but I also write a diary since 1967.
Whereas I would share my travel journals with good friends (I did share it in the past when they intended to do the same trip and were asking for distances and tips where to stay etc), I would never share my diaries with others.
Just my two cents. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I think "diary" and "journal" can both be used to refer to personal accounts of one's life which contain thoughts and feelings as well as descriptions of events. Chrissie mentioned The Diary of Anne Frank (also known as The Diary of a Young Girl). It was originally published in Dutch, of course, but I think the English title has always contained the word "diary". The Diary of Samuel Pepys is well-known too.

Of course, you can also keep a "diary" which consists of little more than a record of appointments and important dates.

And a "journal" can also be a logbook - or, of course, a periodical like The Enid Blyton Society Journal.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thank you, Anita.
From what I remember the Dutch title of Anne Frank's Diary was "Het Achterhuis".
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: And a "journal" can also be a logbook - or, of course, a periodical like The Enid Blyton Society Journal.
Or a weekly newspaper, such as The Salisbury Journal!
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi , have any members got any old journals they dont want . if so may i have them . i`m just about to rejion the society properly. cheers sue webster
Society Member