Journal 61

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 61

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Sally wrote: It wasn't accompanied by a pink elephant, was it, Rob? Had you just come out of the pub?
Now you mention it...
Moonraker wrote:
Not having time to read the Journal yet...have a ton of leaves to get off the lawn, so I hope I can settle down to it soon.
Why did you tear The Journal up and throw the pages all over the lawn?

I need a drink! :twisted:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's good to see you back on the forums, Nigel! I'd be tempted to leave the leaves on the lawn and leaf through the Journal instead!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Due to some busy times and unforeseen commitments I have been taking rather longer than usual to read my journal. Nevertheless it is as usual a fabulous cornucopia of Blytonian opinion and ephemera.

John Lester's Six o Clock Tales kicked me off and it was a lovely read with beautiful illustrations. I sometimes think Enid is at her best when writing about elves, pixies and toys that come to life and have adventures in fairyland and suchlike places. There's a wonderful innocence in these stories for younger children that I love just as much as the more established "big" series'.

It was great to see the reprint of Gillian's letter to Don Townshend and interesting to hear her explanation for the loss of the golliwogs. Many thanks to Don for sharing that with us all.

Sitting on an Adventure was enjoyable ( of course it was, it was written by Enid) but I thought it a little unusual in that the lead character, Alan, is absolutely insufferable in his smugness and arrogance. Normally Enid gives such a character some well deserved comeuppance but here he gets away with it and the others even reward him by making him leader of the club!!! I'd have decked him. :lol:

The story of Enid's sundial was a great read and I'm so glad that this piece of history is now properly homes in the wonderful and well recommended Bekonscot Model Village. Many thanks to Kari Dorme for that piece of good news.

Courtenay's debut was highly entertaining and hopefully there will be more to come. kiki was definitely not a cockatoo but I'm sort of glad that Tresilian drew here that way. She is one of the most memorably drawn of all Blyton's non-human characters.

The Happy House Trilogy by Anita was well up to Anita's usual high standard. I read the section on Benjy and the Others with a little dismay as I hate stories where one child is made to feel small and inadequate through no fault of his/her own. Benjy certainly makes fantastic efforts to learn but seems to be thwarted and almost deliberately held back by the others. I mean did nobody even explain to him that he wouldn't go to school immediately he turned six?? Dear me. I've never actually read the book but maybe I'll look out for a copy. Like the professional that she is Anita does not give away the ending but hopefully poor little Benjy ended up outshining all the others in typically Blyton fashion.

The Best Christmas Tree of All was a wonderfully seasonal and heartwarming little tale told so effortlessly as always by Enid. And Mr Wumble Loses his Hankie made for a cheering end story with a series of increasingly hilarious disasters befalling our hapless hankie seeker.

I still have Rob's, Julies's and Angela Canning's articles to read and a few other bits and bobs too. The Journal is truly a wonderfully entertaining little magazine. Thanks as alwys to Tony and all the contributors for bringing this ray of sunshine (or seasonal cheer this time) into our lives thrice annually. I'll post up some thoughts on the other articles once I have read them over the next couple of days.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote: Courtenay's debut was highly entertaining and hopefully there will be more to come. kiki was definitely not a cockatoo but I'm sort of glad that Tresilian drew here that way. She is one of the most memorably drawn of all Blyton's non-human characters.
Glad you enjoyed it, John (although it wasn't my debut contribution, it was my second :wink: ). I completely agree Kiki shouldn't have been a cockatoo, but that was the only way she could have had the kind of crest that Enid describes, which is why I assume Tresilian chose to draw her as one. No more absurd, anyway, than one of the later cover illustrators, Pamela Goodchild, who drew her as a macaw!! :P

Totally agree with your comments about Benjy and the Others, re Anita's review — I was also quite saddened at the thought of a story where the youngest child is never really given a fair go. Quite unlike Enid's usual ethos! I can only compare that to the Find-Outers books, where Bets is frequently put down (usually by her older brother) for being the "baby" of the group, yet she very regularly proves she's worth as much as any of them, and Fatty is always ready to stick up for her. I haven't read any of the Happy House books either, but I also hope poor Benjy comes out on top in the end.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Courtenay wrote: Glad you enjoyed it, John (although it wasn't my debut contribution, it was my second :wink: ).
Oops sorry. :oops: In my defence it's been a year and a half and my memory simply doesn't stretch that far back these days. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:mrgreen: That's all right, my first one was a last-minute contribution a couple of years ago!! It was a write-up of a talk by Blyton expert David Rudd, in which he quite brilliantly brought out why Enid is such a great author and deftly skewered all the criticisms against her. I would love to have a copy of his book (Enid Blyton and the Mystery of Children's Literature), but unfortunately it was only published once, has been out of print for years, and tends to go for an exorbitant price every time a copy comes up for sale... :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I enjoyed the article about Six O'clock Tales - a while since I read it - and the only 'O'clock' book I have in a dust wrapper. Like John Lester, I would presume that 'Six O'clock Tales has slightly shorter stories than 'Seven O'clock tales' and 'Eight O'clock Tales' and longer than 'Five O'clock Tales'.

The similar story books, 'Five Minute Tales', 'Ten Minute Tales', 'Fifteen Minute Tales' and 'twenty Minute Tales' are certainly graded by length - very cleverly, I think. Rather like the other book, 'Just Time For A Story' which features stories divided into sections - 4 minute stories, five minute ones, six minute ones, seven minutes, eight minutes, nine minutes, ten, eleven, twelve and fourteen minutes! Shows how much Enid thought about such things!

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Sitting On An Adventure' (which I'd read before, featuring it in one of my 'EB Magazine' reviews earlier this year) and also ' The Best Christmas Tree of All' - such a charming story, so well told. I felt so sorry for that old lady - anyone who accuses Enid of not being able to create characters with whom we can relate and empathise just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Interesting also to read 'From My Window' about the old book shops - and it was great to hear how Enid felt about seeing her books for sale in bookshops. I kind of know how she felt, as I felt the same, even though mine was just a short story in 'The People's Friend'. I went along the rack in WH Smiths and put all the copies of 'The People's Friend' on prominent display! :lol:

What a great Journal, as always! A few more stories and articles to read, but I will enjoy doing so later. :-D
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 25 Nov 2016, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Doesn't it depend on how fast one reads, though?? :mrgreen:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

true - but I guess its an average when reading aloud rather than skim-reading! ;-) I tried a couple and they were all about right! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lucky Star wrote:...it is as usual a fabulous cornucopia of Blytonian opinion and ephemera.
What a great description of the Journal!
Lucky Star wrote:John Lester's Six o Clock Tales kicked me off and it was a lovely read with beautiful illustrations. I sometimes think Enid is at her best when writing about elves, pixies and toys that come to life and have adventures in fairyland and suchlike places. There's a wonderful innocence in these stories for younger children that I love just as much as the more established "big" series'.
I still remember how exciting and enchanting those tales felt when I was young enough to half-believe that I might meet one of the "Little Folk" at the bottom of the garden or see Mr. Pink-Whistle in the park or at the market!
Lucky Star wrote:The Happy House Trilogy by Anita was well up to Anita's usual high standard. I read the section on Benjy and the Others with a little dismay as I hate stories where one child is made to feel small and inadequate through no fault of his/her own. Benjy certainly makes fantastic efforts to learn but seems to be thwarted and almost deliberately held back by the others. I mean did nobody even explain to him that he wouldn't go to school immediately he turned six?? Dear me. I've never actually read the book but maybe I'll look out for a copy.
Thanks, John. I hope you and others who have expressed an interest are able to read Benjy and the Others one of these days. There are some happy moments in it but I felt very sorry indeed for poor Benjy at times!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Anita's articles, as always - especially Benjy and the Others, which I hadn't read (it being so hard and expensive to find!). I loved the other two books about Happy House - and I share Anita's 'favourite episode' - where Monkey is almost drowned - its definitely my favourite part of the second book - and shows how expertly Enid could 'get inside' the minds of her child-readers. She can depict these small happenings so well, and manages to give them a great significance, just as they would to children. As a child I really did relate to this episode, having a toy monkey and an older sister, although my monkey never got drowned in a stream! I used to hate to see my cuddly toys hanging on the line by their ears or tails when they'd been washed!

The last book, as others have said, does sound rather gloomy and sad compared to the other two - almost as if it isnt really a part of the same series. Perhaps, as Anita said, this is why it was never reprinted like the others were.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Received the journal this morning. Thank you.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's good to see you back on the forums, Nigel! I'd be tempted to leave the leaves on the lawn and leaf through the Journal instead!
Oh, I'm tempted, believe me, Anita!
Lucky Star wrote:Due to some busy times and unforeseen commitments I have been taking rather longer than usual to read my journal. Nevertheless it is as usual a fabulous cornucopia of Blytonian opinion and ephemera.
Exactly the same for me, Lucky Star! At the risk of beginning to sound like Michael Edwards, I just don't seem to have the time to devote a whole afternoon. I even have difficulty in finding the time to watch the UK Snooker Championship! I am half-way, through, and have found it to be up to the usual standard of excellence. I really will try to give my thoughts on it once I have completed it.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: I even have difficulty in finding the time to watch the UK Snooker Championship! I am half-way, through, and have found it to be up to the usual standard of excellence.
The UK Snooker Championship, you mean?? :wink:
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves. :wink:

I have now finished the Journal and a jolly good one it was, too. One advantage of taking a time to read it means the pleasure continues for a long time!

I won't re-iterate what has already been said, but will just comment on a few things that seemed pertinent to me. Firstly, in Anita's second part of The Happy House Trilogy, she comments on Enid not using the term 'escalator' whilst Benjy is in the Underground. I was not confused. We always (on the rare occasion of a trip to London and the Tube) referred to escalators as 'moving staircases' (not to be confused with the ones at Hogwarts!). Having never seen anything like it, they were stairs that moved, and that's what they were known as. It wasn't until many years later that I knew them as escalators.

Angela Canning seemed a little bemused that Christmas puddings were still referred to as plum puddings, in the 40s:
Surely in 1994 it had long since ceased to be called a Plum Pudding!
Well, in the 50s we certainly knew them as plum puddings. I must say, those parents seemed a real couple of eggheads!

Although I have no wish to read The Adventure of the Strange Ruby, at least not in its re-written form, Rob is writing a fascinating account of it. However, one problem of splitting an article is to ensure it joins seamlessly. The first sentence was rather abrupt and seemed to be taken in mid-sentence - I guess it was continuing from exactly the place where the scissors cut in part one.

"Instead, Tessa suggests she and Pat set about rescuing the twins themselves....."

Instead of what? I could go upstairs and hunt out Journal 60 to find out what it was instead of, but it seemed too much effort! I soon put this minor irritation behind me and continued enjoying the article.

The making of Cloud 9's Adventure Series was another good read. I am always fascinated by accounts of behind the scenes stories of TV adaptations. Enid's In a Bookshop was most interesting, too. I wonder what she would make of Enid Blyton for Grown-Ups? - colourfully advertised on the back cover. Let's hope our membership don't think they are by Enid and rush out to buy them! They were listed in the contents page and I was looking forward to reading a review. I didn't realise until I got to the end that it was just an advert! Maybe I should read them all and write an article?

Lastly, but not leastly (is that a word?), I always love reading the editorial. I look forward to the summer when Tony once again dusts off his 'barbie'. I will be there with a bag of baps and a bumper box of burgers!

All joking aside, another bumper Journal. I can't comment on each individual article and writer, but there wasn't one I didn't enjoy. And, even if I was a tad slow in completing it, this issue alone was worth the annual subscription. Many thanks, as always, to Tony and all the contributors to make it so splendid.

Incidentally, I belong to the Malcolm Saville Society, and their Journal - Acksherlsy! - arrive soon after our Journal. Also, coincidentally, Acksherley! 61. It took me under an hour to read that - several articles being of lesser interest to me.
Society Member