Journal 58

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 58

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have now read the latest Journal from cover to cover and it has been a real joy. Many thanks to Tony and all the contributors for producing such a great publication. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Journal # 58 arrived yesterday.
Thank you, Tony!!!
It looks gorgeous!
Will read it on the weekend when André takes care of the dog for a few hours (I don't want the dog to get at my EBS journal :)).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I can second Eddie's statement. Another fine production.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, it usually comes later than those further down south.
I don't know about that. I'm also still waiting for mine. :)

I'm sure it will come soon and it will be a treat to read it in the Christmas season. Something to look forward to.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It has a lovely Christmassy cover, Lenoir, so it will certainly put you in the Christmas mood. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I have now completed the Journal and really enjoyed everyone's contributions immensely.
Tony's blood,sweat & tears certainly bring us a lot of pleasure!

May I single out Poppy,whose writing style is really excellent.Friendly,inclusive,factual and very informative.
I hope she is able to write more for our upcoming Journals.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thank you so much, Pete! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I have now finished it and say a big 'ditto' to Pete's comments.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm also in agreement with Pete's comments. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I still have to read it. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

You're in for a treat, Chrissie. It's one of the best journals I've read. :D
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, with an extra four pages too - 88 instead of the usual 84. It certainly is a very good journal with something to interest everyone, amd I guess most articles will appeal to most people! A beautiful edition, that's for sure.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Mine arrived yesterday. It's always good to open a journal envelope, exciting in fact. I read the editorial last night and will start on the articles.
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I have now managed, at long last, to read most of the latest issue of the journal and must join in my thanks to the other contributors.

Poppy has a great writing style and her piece did what all great articles should in making me want to read more of Enid’s work about nature.

Like probably everybody else I appreciate Stuart Tresilian’s abilities as an illustrator, so it was interesting to learn more about his life.

I have a lot of admiration for contributors such as Robert who can include aspects of their own life (something I wouldn’t have the confidence to do myself). Especially when they contain a delightful dose of healthy, youthful sadism! :wink: The article also reminded me that I really should re-read The Rilloby Fair Mystery as I remember nothing about it.

Both Julie’s and Anita’s articles look great and I will give them a proper read when I have reacquainted myself with the books in question.

The pieces written by Enid herself were well chosen. I had entirely forgotten about the process of looking for frogspawn as a child (the only negative thing about the journal is that it has reinforced to me that my memory is already shot to pieces at the age of 35!) and it was entertaining to read her thoughts on Christmas shopping. Having a Christmas spending fund is something I may well try next year…

Also, well done to Tony for putting it all together and for making it look so attractive.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Nicko wrote:Like probably everybody else I appreciate Stuart Tresilian’s abilities as an illustrator, so it was interesting to learn more about his life.
I have a lot of admiration for contributors such as Robert who can include aspects of their own life (something I wouldn’t have the confidence to do myself). Especially when they contain a delightful dose of healthy, youthful sadism! :wink: The article also reminded me that I really should re-read The Rilloby Fair Mystery as I remember nothing about it.
Both Julie’s and Anita’s articles look great and I will give them a proper read when I have reacquainted myself with the books in question.
Like Nicko I finally managed to read most of the new EBS Journal and it was a delight!
There's only one article left, "What Happened Over The Wall", to be read tonight.

Thought it was great to finally see Tresilian's photo and read so much about his life. Very well-researched!
"Desert Island Blytons" was as fascinating as the previous parts. I enjoyed it again.
I was stunned with Robert's story about the hollow tree in his neighborhood. It must have traumatized the poor kid!

Julie expressed my own feelings about Stubby so very well. Thank you, Julie. Hope to read more from you in the future.

Regarding the Secret series (Anita's contribution) I am ashamed :oops: to admit that I've never noticed the illustrations. I have 4 old Secret series books ("Moon Castle" as paperback, the three others as old hardcovers), but as I only read "The Secret Island" (my copy has no Soper illustrations), I was not even aware that the next books were illustrated by Eileen Soper whom I admire so much.
As soon as the pre-Christmas stress will be over, I will indulge in looking at the illustrations (is there actually a synonym for illustrations...I don't like using the same word in three sentences in a row :oops: ).
The illustration on page 32 in EBS # 58 reminded me a lot of the FF illustrations. The blonde girl on the far left looks like Anne and the boy in front of the window has George's curly hair.

Thank you to Tony and to all contributors of this journal. You did a wonderful job!!!
I will re-read this journal again and again in the years to come just like I will re-read the others in my small EBS collection :)!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock