Journal 55

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 55

Post by Lucky Star »

Glad you've subscribed Charlotte. Welcome to the society proper. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I joined the society straight after enrolling on the forums too, Charlotte. The journals are marvellous, aren't they?
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Glad you joined the Society, and and enjoyed the latest Journal, Charlotte! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I've just finished reading Journal 55 and agree that it is one of the best (and that's saying a great deal). From Anita's informed enthusiasm for 'The Secret Island' to Freda Knight's 'A Lifetime of Adventures With the Famous Five' it is a constant delight. All highlights. Enid Blyton's enthusiasm for contemporary children's books, her correspondence with the sympathetic librarian, Norman Wright's tribute to Mary Cadogan, and the many personal reminiscences of the ways Enid Blyton enriched childhoods make this an issue which should be re-read regularly by those fortunate to have it in their collections. Freda's article surprised me. She did not stop at the 21 titles comprising the Famous Five adventures. She decided to collect all Hodder and Stoughton copies she came across, hoping to encompass 'the first full printing and various impression dates of the original Hodder and Stoughton and Brockhampton Press editions'. At the time of printing she'd reached 103 volumes. I have come across collectors concentrating on one title before but this is a little different.
In Australia two National collections now house probably the greatest collection of Don Quixote outside of Spain, and the greatest collection of editions of The Great Australian Childrens Book, 'The Magic Pudding' by Norman Lindsay, both collections first put together by enthusiasts. I hope Freda was looking to the future to ensure her collection ends up in safe hands.
And now for Journal 56 - more from Anita and Rob Houghton and ... am I dreaming? A four-page letter from Enid to W.E. Johns! What larks!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A lovely reminder of a brilliant Journal. I remember reading Freda Knight's article with fascination. It's always interesting to see what people have focussed on in their collections.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member