Journal 55

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 55

Post by Lenoir »

Righto, the journal index is ready for release. It's now up to date - Journal 55.
I hope the downloads work. I don't think this link will expire as quickly as the previous ones:

JIndex
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks very much, Lenoir! I've just saved it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

That's great! I've downloaded it and saved it in my Journal folder. Many thanks, Lenoir. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Thank's for that Lenoir! That'll be extremely useful when I need to find all those articles I know I've read, but my withered old brain won't tell me which issue their in. Now I just need to get the rest of the Journals I don't have. 8)
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Lenoir - all saved now.
Society Member
ciclón
Favourite book/series: Barney Mystery series
Favourite character: Miss Pepper, Snubby, Loony, supporting characters

Post by ciclón »

I Have just renewed my subscription.

I'd forgotten do it!!

I hope my nr55 journal as soon as possible!

:)
Society Member
Lucy-Ann
Favourite book/series: Adventurous Four/Enchanted Wood/Shadow Sheep Dog
Favourite character: Shadow, Lulu

Post by Lucy-Ann »

I'm just starting to read Journal 55 and what a great start with Anita's review of The Secret Island. It is always a delight to hear bits and pieces of Anita's childhood - attempted stories writing ( i remembered reading somewhere that she even drew some illustrations herself for her story!) and her grandfather's love for nature. Oh it brings back fond memories of the Grizzly Adams programme. Ahh... i'll continue with the review and the rest of the delightful stuff in the Journal! :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Lucy-Ann! I always enjoy revisiting that lovely, peaceful island. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!) I didn't illustrate my own story of children who ran away to an island - though I did illustrate the Find-Outers story that I wrote a little later (gaudy illustrations in felt-tip pen!)

Society Member
Lucy-Ann
Favourite book/series: Adventurous Four/Enchanted Wood/Shadow Sheep Dog
Favourite character: Shadow, Lulu

Post by Lucy-Ann »

The Secret Island is one of my favourite stories too! You must've read a lot by the number of books cited. I shall try some of those books now. I too love the original illustrations and that's why i am grateful that the Cave share them. :) Anita, i must say you brought out the feel of The Secret Island well in your review. Why, i didn't notice abour the error of Peggy answering herself or could it be she did answer her own question.

I do hope that you're still keeping those original stories you had written. I remember now i read about your illustrated story in one of the Journals ( can't recall the No.). I also love the article about the secret club you and your friends formed. How interesting! Perhaps you can 'publish' your childhood stories under the Children Section for inspiration :D

I'm not reading the articles in the Journal in order but i thoroughly enjoy "Growing Up With Enid Blyton" by Cory Roberts. It is so nice and somehow feel so real to hear someone from the era affirming the scenes which i only read about in the books.

Oh! i find Enid Blyton's article entitled "Children's Reading: Old & New" just so insightful. She knew what makes a great story-teller and how very true!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucy-Ann wrote:I do hope that you're still keeping those original stories you had written. I remember now i read about your illustrated story in one of the Journals ( can't recall the No.). I also love the article about the secret club you and your friends formed. How interesting! Perhaps you can 'publish' your childhood stories under the Children Section for inspiration :D
Thanks, Lucy-Ann, but I rarely finished my juvenile jottings. I've still got a few scraps of stories, plus two completed ones. One is The Bingagaham Mystery (that's the Find-Outers story which has illustrations, and I photographed one page of it for my article in Journal 45). The other (I can't remember the title) is about a girl who is involved in a shipwreck and marooned on an island. They're laughable to read now! I've also got the scripts of some of the plays I performed with my sister and two friends. Most were adaptations of traditional tales, but I also wrote one called something like The Spirit of the New Year Party. I'm not sure exactly where they are, but I know I've got them "somewhere".
Lucy-Ann wrote:Oh! i find Enid Blyton's article entitled "Children's Reading: Old & New" just so insightful. She knew what makes a great story-teller and how very true!
Yes, it's a fascinating article with plenty of food for thought.

Enjoy reading the rest of the Journal!

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wrote a few stories as a child, many based on Enid Blyton books. It's probably more accurate to say they were ripped-off from Blyton books. One called 'The Smuggler's Caves' another called 'The Music box Will' (about a missing will that gave a penniless family money so they could stay in their house!) and 'The End Of It All' about a circus that was breaking up. Sound familiar? :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Just a little! :wink: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my story about a girl being shipwrecked on an island (and uncovering strange goings-on) was called An Adventurous Holiday, and I also began a boarding-school story called First Year at Castle Towers. :)

Society Member
Betsfindouter
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, St Clare's,
Favourite character: Bets Hilton

Post by Betsfindouter »

Within minutes of discovering this website only last week I paid my yearly subscription to join the Society, to my amazement the last Journal was posted to me the very next day! THANK YOU!! It was wonderful to receive something other than a bill in the mail and it went perfectly with a strong coffee and chocolate biccies! I look forward to being a member for many years to come. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

So glad you joined the Society, Charlotte. You can now read the Continuation novels that are within the webiste. Happy further reading. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, make sure you find The Secret Passage in the website, Charlotte. You are in for a treat. :D
Society Member