Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:I could have said the same thing( hopefully!) if my subscription fee was £10 from the start!
It costs a lot more to deliver abroad than it does within the UK...but then I think you already knew that!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Could you please quote Tony's latest statement on "he has been making a loss with overseas postage"?

That was the reason I said earlier that I want to compare the postage cost for journal no. 60 with the previous postage cost if there was an increment in overseas postage. If there was none, I don't see the reason for the increment in subscription fee, at least for now!

If it is related to increment in production cost(printing cost, papers, ink and others), it is only fair that all the subscribers bear the cost.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It was never £21, Sixret, it was £20 and the extra pound that got automatically added was simply paying the PayPal commission, but not all of it as I never got £20. I obviously failed to get through to you that with the £20 I was making a loss with every overseas Journal and at £10 the UK Journals are not making a loss.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sixret, I honestly don't understand your attitude. The Journal is good value for money and that is reflected in the cost whether here in the UK or abroad. It's expensive to send things abroad, and I see no reason why Tony should make a loss by sending abroad.

I'm sure many other club magazines would be far more expensive than the Journal is to send abroad. Making the Enid Blyton Journal excellent value for money! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Most organisations I know that are based in one country, but have international memberships and send out a print magazine or newsletter, have a significantly higher subscription price for members who live overseas. For example, I was formerly a member of BirdLife Australia (equivalent of the RSPB). Their membership fee within Australia is $79.00 per year (about £44.50), which includes a high-quality colour magazine four times a year. But for overseas memberships, including the print magazine, it's $135.00 per year (£76.11). That does have something to do with why I let my membership lapse after I moved to the UK!! :shock:

Another society I'm currently a member of is the Cornish Language Fellowship; their annual membership fee, including a monthly print newsletter, is £20 within the UK, £25 within Europe, or £30 for anywhere else in the world.

Whichever way you look at it, international postage costs a lot. So international members of non-profit organisations need to pay more for their membership accordingly. It's the way it is.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Julie, I will express my concern regarding this issue just as much as you will express your view on anything you want to especially if I had to pay £24( and the fee has kept rising over the years) from my own pocket. I am just like you in term of expressing thought. (I have known you long enough(via online, of course!).

Thanks Tony for the explanation. If I may give a suggestion to post all the 3 journals together so it will cut postage cost considerably. I purchased 20 back issue journals and one EBS booklet from Steve, UK seller. The combined postage cost was £22 via standard airmail. This is upon wish of each international subscriber if they opt for that option. If could open the option of combining postage and significantly reduce the overseas postage cost, it's a win-win situation. I hope you will consider the suggestion.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Look on the bright side, Sixret, as you and most other overseas subscribers have still got Journal 60 coming on the old subscription rate - and yes, they all made a loss!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Postage has risen over the years considerably, it's more than three times higher today than it was in 2008, and with the pound getting weaker compared to other currencies I wouldn't be surprised if the postage to foreign countries will rise even more.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It seems funny to me that Sixret is so worried about postage and yet can pretty much bid any amount she fancies on books on eBay...sorry to mention it. I'd have thought the price of the Journal was well worth it! :evil:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Yes, I thought that as well, Rob. I am also a member of the Malcolm Saville Society and they charge £15 for a years subscription in the UK. The Enid Blyton Society Journal is excellent value for money and I don't see why Tony should make a loss on postage.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

£24 per year really isn't such a huge amount — it's £2 per month, or if you like, 50p per week. I could understand that being too much for someone who was seriously struggling to pay their rent and put enough food on the table every week, but I can't imagine any of our Society members are in such dire straits... are they? :|
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't think that really should come into it, Courtenay, we don't know what people's financial situations are, or that it's any of our concern really, the fact is that the Journal is good value for money, compared with some monthly subscriptions. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I know, that's all I was meaning to say. I just find it a bit unfair that Tony is getting flak in public when all he's doing is ensuring he doesn't lose money on every overseas subscription — which in turn helps to keep the Journal itself afloat.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anyway, Sixret ISN'T short of money, I'm quite sure! Otherwise I would now own a copy of Banshee Towers. I shan't forget that easily I'm afraid.

I can't believe that Sixret has used the forum to air her views so publicly - a private message to Tony would have been better. We didn't all need to see this!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Courtenay wrote:I just find it a bit unfair that Tony is getting flak in public when all he's doing is ensuring he doesn't lose money on every overseas subscription — which in turn helps to keep the Journal itself afloat.
Yes, it's just the way it is. It obviously costs more to send overseas. I wouldn't like the society to make a loss on my subscription and it wouldn't make sense, so I'm glad in a way that it went up!