Journal Jitters

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal Jitters

Post by Moonraker »

I must say I am quite surprised at the way this thread has evolved.
It seems funny to me that Sixret is so worried about postage and yet can pretty much bid any amount she fancies on books on eBay...sorry to mention it. I'd have thought the price of the Journal was well worth it!
Exactly what I was thinking, too, Rob! For goodness sake, Sixret, the Society makes no profit from overseas sales and Tony draws no salary from producing the Journal or indeed his daily work within the Cave. The Journal is a bargain - I would pay double for it. You seem to be obsessed with postage costs and although I am sure you don't mean it, you give (me at least) the impression that Tony is somehow fiddling overseas rates to generate extra income.

Might I suggest you either continue to receive the Journal and enjoy it, or do not renew your subscription and spend your money on eBay.

Goodness knows what guest make of recent posts from you.
Courtenay wrote: I just find it a bit unfair that Tony is getting flak in public when all he's doing is ensuring he doesn't lose money on every overseas subscription — which in turn helps to keep the Journal itself afloat.
Yes, I couldn't agree more - and I understood the point you were making.
Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

Yep, have to agree that the journal is great value whatever the location and Tony does a wonderful job with it. Looking forward to reading the new edition.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Always great value - whatever the price!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hear! Hear! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I think it is inappropriate to discuss how Sixret spends her money.

Rather than criticize Sixret's comments re the change to the international postage cost, I would like to suggest she reads this topic from the beginning. There have been many good discussions regarding the issues related to the cost of producing the journal & the issue related to increasing postal costs over the past couple of years.

Sixret, if you read the whole of this topic, from the beginning, you will know the issues and understand that the international rise is very fair, but I think it will also show why people have re-acted to your comments, as many of the previous discussions have shown how we could lose the journal altogether if the costs/losses are not managed, and no one wants that to happen.

As an international member I have always paid extra for my postage costs to ensure Tony & UK members are not subsidising my postage. Sadly international postage costs have doubled in many countries over the past couple years.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't think that really should come into it, Courtenay, we don't know what people's financial situations are, or that it's any of our concern really, the fact is that the Journal is good value for money, compared with some monthly subscriptions. :)
8)
Which is the reason for my above posting, in response to Courtenay, breaking down the cost of a Journal and whether or not any member could be in that much dire straits. I wasn't being horrid in any way, at all, I just felt uncomfortable quizzing someone's finances.

We all know that costs have risen and postage shouldn't come out of Tony's pocket and I'm sure we all agree on that. The Journal is good value for money and as many have said in other threads, they would not mind at all if the subscription went up to cover costs. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Aussie Sue wrote:I think it is inappropriate to discuss how Sixret spends her money.
And I don't. :- . I really feel I have to defend myself!

I'm still pretty annoyed that she bid over the odds on a book I wanted and then turned the seller down because she decided not to bother with buying it. I lost out on a book I was willing to pay £60 for because of her higher bid and the seller ended up only getting £15 for it when someone else bought it. If you can afford to bid £80 for a book then you can easily afford £24 postage.

When I did my journal give away I felt sorry for Sixret because of postage and I footed the postage bill myself...around £6...so I think I have a right to be a bit disgruntled.

Let's face it, if Sixret hadnt brought the cost of Journal subscription up IN PUBLIC then we wouldn't be discussing it now!
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 03 Jul 2016, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Rob, could you still not get that book, if it was refused by Sixret? The seller would still have it wouldn't he, unless of course he sold it again. (Sorry to go off topic) but I understand Rob's disappointment over this and how it was caused by no fault of his own.

8)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

When I saw the seller listed it again, I presumed the seller was a fake, as the book had supposedly been sold, so I didn't bid the second time, and it ended up going for just £15. :-(

Im sorry to bring this up again and I realise it must make me sound bitter,lol...but I have to explain whyI feel how I feel. People need to know why I said what I said earlier.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry just read your post again, Rob, and so it was sold!!! I too would be livid. :|

8)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't really understand why Sixret always likes to start these discussions in public, either...seems she prefers it that way! I would have spoken quietly to Tony and told him I was struggling with the subscription or didn't think the prices were fair. You can't bring something like that up on a forum and not expect people to discuss it.

Personally I think the Journal is very good value for the money I pay!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Personally I think the Journal is very good value for the money I pay!
We're all agreed on that score, Rob. :D

8)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Aussie Sue wrote:As an international member I have always paid extra for my postage costs to ensure Tony & UK members are not subsidising my postage. Sadly international postage costs have doubled in many countries over the past couple years.
You have indeed, Sue, and since you have now mentioned this yourself I feel I can publicly thank you as you have been subscribing £25 instead of £20 since the dramatic rise in overseas postage. A few other members have also been very generous and this includes some UK members who have sent £20 rather than £10. Since they raised the overseas postage horrifically about three years ago, the Royal Mail have actually not increased it further over the last two years for letters although they have further increased it for printed paper and this is the reason why I no longer write printed paper on overseas Journals as it is now much cheaper to simply send them as letters for some strange reason!
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony I think we need to get used to regular increases in postage and just accept it. And you should increase postage prices as soon as it happens not try to carry the increase yourself for a time.

Email and online has generally replaced paper mail and so with reducing volumes prices increase.
In Australia our letter postage rates have just gone from 60c to $1 and instead of next day delivery they have two weeks to deliver. To get 2 day delivery we need to pay $1.50 for the stamp and 50c for the sticker that says it is express delivery.

A sad part of this decrease in hand written letters is future collectors won't have access to letters written by their favourite authors/people. Items handwritten by Enid Blyton are definitely my most treasured items in my collection, and I read them often.
Society Member