Journal 53

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal 53

Post by Moonraker »

As if I'd dare!
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote: Mind you, whether or not the die-hard Blyton member would be interested in brands of tea, make-up and webcams of an island would be interested, remains to be seen!
Nigel, I don't quite see how a die hard Blyton member like me cannot also be interested in make up or puffin web cams (I'm not into tea as it causes yellow teeth :)?
The web cam is IMHO very much related to a Blyton book called "The Sea of Adventure" which happens to be one of my favorite EB books. I loved those puffins when I read about them first in my childhood. And now as an adult I still enjoy watching them. What's so negative about that?
I thought that's why there is a "General Natter" forum. I must have been mistaken.
Right now I'm not reading any Blyton books, so there is not much I could contribute to a strictly EB thread. But I still enjoy staying in touch with the other forumites (and if it's only about puffins or make up).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:The Camra forums are even worse. With over 125,000 members, only about a dozen regularly contribute to them.
What are Camra forums?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

pete9012S wrote:In the next Journal,54,why not have a page dedicated to some highlighted selected words of appreciation by the posters here about the previous Journal,Journal 53?

It would raise consciousness of the Journal to those who subscribe but never post here,and they could be also be encouraged to express any appreciation by either writing/emailing in or by joining us here on the forums?

Either way it would raise the profile of the Journal with everyone who receives and reads it,possibly promoting more interest,subscriptions,or at the very least more vocal appreciation for our excellent magazine??
Very good suggestion, Pete! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:The Camra forums are even worse. With over 125,000 members, only about a dozen regularly contribute to them.
What are Camra forums?
http://camraforum.org.uk/index.php?sid= ... 4ce7bfa772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

A very good idea from Pete but not something I would really want to add to my workload. I would however be delighted to include it if somebody else wanted to do this and get their name in lights - or at any rate on the 'contents' page! As far as no longer having a letters page is concerned the answer is simple - I don't get any letters!! When we did have a page for this we didn't have a website and even then I didn't get very many letters.

I thought this would be a good place just to point out the current Journal situation. Over the past year we lost 201 subscribers, although this does not include 72 people who had Journal 53 but have not yet renewed their subscription. However, it does include a few people who have posted in the last two weeks who no longer subscribe. In the same period we have picked up 157 new members which softens the loss a bit.

As things stand now I will be sending out the smallest number of Journals in a month or so for nine years, and it will also be the smallest print run for the same period.

At the same time it is also worth mentioning that the number of new people registering on the forums last month was also the smallest for nine years (and even then some of these could be sleeping spammers as they have yet to log in for the first time!) - perhaps for some reason the forums are losing their appeal for new members!
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

The outlook for the Journal and the Society does seem quite bleak. I think the Journal and other Society publications are good value for money. I renewed my subscription by Paypal as soon as I received No 53, or at least I think I did, if I haven't Tony let me know and I shall renew pronto.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I never have to renew my subscription to other organisations (Malcolm Saville Society, to name one), as they employ a DD system. I think I've mentioned this before and I seem to remember that there is a problem in the EBS doing this. Worth a thought though.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think Poppy could do a brilliant,concise resume and overview of the online responses here to the last issue of the Journal posted here for Tony to include in a letters/appreciation/comments page of the next edition of the Journal.

Her writing style is concise,friendly,mature and inclusive.
I don't know whether she would want to do something like that for each edition of the Journal of course,but I'm sure if she did it would be nice to see a representative of the younger generation working regularly on the Journal's behalf...

What about it Poppy? I think you would do a brilliant job of that if you were interested?? :D :D

Best Wishes

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'll second that! :D
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

:D I would love to do something like that, Pete. I think it is an excellent way of promoting the previous journal, as well as encouraging members to share their views upon the contents. I will definitely agree to this, if Tony is happy to include an article like this in the Journal.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:I never have to renew my subscription to other organisations (Malcolm Saville Society, to name one), as they employ a DD system. I think I've mentioned this before and I seem to remember that there is a problem in the EBS doing this. Worth a thought though.
Yes you have mentioned it before and I will give you the same answer - it would make a lot more work for me as I would have to separate those who pay by direct debit and those who need a resubscription form. It probably works fine for the Saville Society as they have about six people doing the jobs that I do on my own, including someone whose only responsibility is to deal with membership renewal and that is all done once a year anyway and not three times a year.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:I think Poppy could do a brilliant,concise resume and overview of the online responses here to the last issue of the Journal posted here for Tony to include in a letters/appreciation/comments page of the next edition of the Journal.
Poppy wrote:I would love to do something like that, Pete. I think it is an excellent way of promoting the previous journal, as well as encouraging members to share their views upon the contents.
That's great! I'm sure you'll make an excellent job of it, Poppy.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for taking it on, Poppy. You'll be great at it.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Anita and John! Looking forward to making up the first article! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member