Journal 51

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Re:

Post by Carlotta King »

Thanks Anita and Julie, I shall have a look on Ebay today and see what there is! I also love the sound of Cliff Castle - never read that either but it sounds like the kind of thing I love! :)

I pass the library on my way to the supermarket so am going to pop in there today on my way to do the shopping, and see if there are any copies I can get my mitts on straight away! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Journal 51

Post by sixret »

I have subscribed the journal since number 37. One particular article is strikingly different(in a good way!) from the past articles. I think most of you can guess which article is significantly different from the rest. That's what I call a brilliant idea of writing article that is unique. :-)

And the rest of the other articles are great as well like usual. ;)

It's a challenge to write the same old topics about anything Blyton but in a unique/special way. :-)
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

sixret wrote: I think most of you can guess which article is significantly different from the rest. It's a challenge to write the same old topics about anything Blyton but in a unique/special way. :-)
Well, you've got me stumped on this one! I've just looked through all the contents, and can't find anything "significantly different." :?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I'm stumped too! Looking at the Journal I feel each article is unique and I wonder on what basis Sixret defines "different"?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The editor is in trouble on this one as well, I have no idea which article you are referring to, Sixret! :roll:
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I thought the article on R Paul-Höye was a bit “different”, maybe because it’s the first time there has been an article on him and I didn’t know anything about him. It was in a different font as well!
But maybe Sixret is referring to the Front and Centre article?

Cover to cover the Journal was a great read.

It was a thorough analysis of “Those Dreadful Children”. A lot can be drawn from this book. I only read it as an adult and I’ve never got into the family books much. But an article such as this brings the book into focus again.

In contrast to that, Noddy goes back to my early days of reading. I have about 8 of the old books, but not “at the seaside”. It was interesting but not nice to read about some of the revisions. I know it is done in an attempt to make the books more ‘acceptable’ to today’s generation and to sell more books, but most of the changes spoil the text unnecessarily.

I enjoyed the articles on Seven Stories. It was great to get a first-hand account of the Famous Five Day and to find out what happens at such an event.

The trip to Beckenham article was also interesting and it must have been a nice thing to do. A bit of history and a great day out with friends.

Referring to the Secret Seven article, I don’t think I’ve compared two books like that before. I also prefer “Go Ahead SS” as it has some exciting bits taking place in the night, but then the other book has the mystery of the person seen by Jack and this gives the story a tense edge.

I will look out for a copy of Smuggler Ben. I agree - the E.H. Davie illustrations do look good.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lenoir wrote: The trip to Beckenham article was also interesting and it must have been a nice thing to do. A bit of history and a great day out with friends.
I wonder what the 90% of Society members who visit neither the forums nor the website think of articles such as this in The Journal. Similarly, should Sally write an article about the recent Old Thatch visit where six people (friends from the forum) spent an interesting day, will members feel left out?

I'm not knocking or criticising these forum events (or the editor for publishing them), but wonder if members read these articles and think, "Why wasn't I invited?"

I suppose the only solution would be to advertise the event in a Journal. However, that might pose problems, as 300 might turn up at the Spade Oak..... :shock:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a good point Nigel, but hopefully most people won't feel left out. I'm currently reading through back issues of the journals and they include numerous accounts of previous Enid Blyton Days. I always read them with a mixture of envy and gratitude. Envy that I didn't discover the Society until a few years ago, and even then was unable to attend a couple of EB Days, but gratitude that the experience was shared with those of us who had been unable to attend.

Similarly, in a Journal from 2001 there's a description of a Noddy exhibition in Edinburgh. Long gone now, but even if it was still there, I doubt I'd be able to visit it, but I still enjoyed reading about it.

I think as long as the journal is balance with a good mixture of articles (which it always is) then it's fine to include articles such as the Beckenham trip.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wouldn't have thought that someone who neither visits the forum nor website could be much concerned that they'd missed an opportunity such as the Old Thatch visit. Surely a bit of research to find out how those people who went heard about it would lead them to discover the website? I received the journal for about 4 years before I joined the forum, but I did browse the website for a couple of years before taking the plunge.
I really enjoy reading about past events - and yes, I wish I had become part of it earlier too, but I'm grateful I can see what has happened before I became part of it.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:but I did browse the website for a couple of years before taking the plunge.
Blimey! I browsed for 10 minutes before taking the plunge! Whatever took you so long???
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Nigel, ever heard of the phrase:-

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread?" :wink: :D
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I quote from what I wrote in the editorial of Journal 50:-

'On June 15th we are planning a visit to Beckenham to look at the various houses that Enid lived in whilst she was growing up. This will include Elfin Cottage, her first proper home after she was married, along with the Attenborough’s house in Oakwood Avenue where Enid lived for some of her early adult years, and the article in this issue by David Chambers tells us how the view from her bedroom window inspired some of her early writing. As with our visit to Old Thatch in 2011, further details of this will be on the forums of our website.'

All Society members were therefore made aware of the event, although I appreciated that only a limited number would probably want to go. I felt that a Journal review of the day was a perfectly legitimate article and might well be of interest to those unable to attend.

A small gathering of forum friends which only regular forum visitors would know about is a different matter and unlike the previous visit to Old Thatch which was announced for any Society member who was interested, I agree that a Journal review would probably be inappropriate, but a nice review in the relevant thread in the forums would be very welcome.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Nigel, ever heard of the phrase:-

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread?" :wink: :D
And have you heard the phrase:

"He who hesitates is lost?" :wink:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I should have know better than to try and get one up on you Nigel :wink:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It took me a while to remember the saying!

Thanks for clarifying the point I was trying to make, Tony. I had forgotten that the Beckenham trip was advertised in your editorial.
Society Member