Journal Covers

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Journal Covers

Post by Nick »

One of the highlights of the latest journal for me was the centre spread showing past covers and it made me wonder if The Secret Seven had ever featured?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal Covers

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Do you mean as a cover, Nick, as all the covers were inside the centre fold of the latest journal. If you mean inside as an article, then if you look on the home page and press the button that says Fireside Journal. You can see all the featured articles of the past journals.

I always have a quick look inside past journals that way, to make sure any article I want to put to Tony, hasn't been mentioned before. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I've been getting the Journal since No:40 and every time I have commented on the fantastic pictures on the front cover. I don't know about there being a Secret Seven themed cover, and nor if theres been any articles about the Seven, but as Julie said, you are bound to find out on the society index of journals. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Do you mean as a cover, Nick, as all the covers were inside the centre fold of the latest journal. If you mean inside as an article, then if you look on the home page and press the button that says Fireside Journal. You can see all the featured articles of the past journals.
It was the covers I was looking at. I couldn't make any SS from the centre spread but have limited knowledge of EC artwork pre TV style covers of the last 70's.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You can see all the covers in the Fireside Journal area too, just click on any of them to see them bigger.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Fiona, a quick look and I've answered my own question - the SS have never had a cover :shock: C'mon Tony, you know it makes sense :D
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

One of these days I'll be updating the index that I do ( sort of unofficially) and adding journal 50.
It's another way of looking for articles in one document, word or pdf format.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I look forward to your updated index, Lenoir. Many thanks for doing a great job. I find the index extremely useful. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You have got some new Secret Seven covers to look forward to soon Nick as they are about to be re-released.

Image Image

A couple for you to look at here, but there are more sitting in the Cave. They have actually been there for a few weeks but I don't suppose that anyone has noticed them! The illustrator is Tony Ross (better known for Horrid Henry) and as well as the covers he has also done some internal illustrations.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Never assume that your cave-work goes unnoticed, Tony. I saw them and thought the Tony Ross covers were a great improvement over the previous (2006) ones. My apologies for not remarking on them sooner.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tony Summerfield wrote:You have got some new Secret Seven covers to look forward to soon Nick as they are about to be re-released.

Image Image

A couple for you to look at here, but there are more sitting in the Cave. They have actually been there for a few weeks but I don't suppose that anyone has noticed them! The illustrator is Tony Ross (better known for Horrid Henry) and as well as the covers he has also done some internal illustrations.
Thanks for the heads up, thre are some neat additions there, I particularly like Win Through and Fireworks. Will the new internal illustrations end up in the cave?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm a bit of a kill joy with the new covers, as they're not really to my taste. I've looked at the ones in the Cave, up to the first 12, that's there, and I'm not really all that keen. I know they will appeal to the youngsters of today, but they look a bit too cartoony for me. I'm afraid I love the original jackets much better. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree with Kate Mary that the new covers are an improvement on the last lot as they give an impression of fun, liveliness and activity. Although like Julie, I prefer the beautifully drawn, more realistic covers of the early days. Of the twelve Tony Ross covers shown so far, my favourites are The Secret Seven (conveys a feeling of togetherness and feasting), Secret Seven Adventure (dramatic, with a touch of humour) and Go Ahead, Secret Seven (interesting perspective).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I must admit I like the covers myself. As Kate says, an infinite improvement on the previous issue which had a set of covers that must have been high up on the ranking list of the worst Blyton covers ever. I also approve of the move to bring back internal illustrations. The recent trend by all publishers other than Award has been to issue Blyton novels with no illustrations. I don't think they will be heavily illustrated, but any are better than none!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The cover illustrations are a little like Quentin Blake's work. The last two sets of covers were pretty awful, IMHO!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member