Journal 50

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Katharine

Re: Journal 50

Post by Katharine »

Uncanny!
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
7upromana01 wrote:It's really good! I've only read a bit of it. By the way, Poppy you look exactly like George on the side view picture!
Thanks very much, Abi! Hope you enjoy your journal!
sixret wrote:Yes! Agreed. I always thought Poppy is just like George based on her posts. When I looked at the pictures, it struck me how alike both of them are!

Thank you, too, Sixret! Some forum members remind me of Blyton characters, too! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

If Nigel is Bill Smuggs, whose Jack, Phillip, Lucy-Ann, Dinah, Allie and Kiki? Can I be a member of
Nigel's/Bill's gang?
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Francis,may I humbly and respectfully promote my view that you could have Mr Luffy as your alter ego.
Like yourself he is wise,kind,congenial and has a good sense of humour.

Here is is in action in Five Go Off To Camp...

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Bizarrely that's not at all how I picture Mr Luffy. I always imagine him rather more like John McCririck with white hair (and not half as offensive of course!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Does anyone recall how Mr Luffy is depicted in the Knight Betty Maxey paperback editions?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

pete9012S wrote:Francis,may I humbly and respectfully promote my view that you could have Mr Luffy as your alter ego.
Like yourself he is wise,kind,congenial and has a good sense of humour.
Does anyone know if Francis can waggle one of his ears? :D
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

OK I'm Mr Luffy! But hang on I can't waggle my ears although I can make Donald Duck noises!
Trouble is Mr Luffy doesn't know what's going on - yes he does sound like me!
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Mr Luffy is a very nice character to be similar too! He is kind and caring though understanding, when the children wish to be alone. Although he is rather forgetful and oblivious to goings on around his insect world, he really is very nice! :D

Sound like you Francis?? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Having savoured Journal 50 over the last few days instead of devouring it in one big gulp as I'm always tempted to do, I can now say what a great edition this is - an FF - but this time standing for "Fabulous Fiftieth". :D
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, I too felt I wanted to savour every little bit of this Journal and read it slowly and took days. It really was a F.F. edition, Daisy. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I’m also making it last - reading one article per day or evening. Just read the one on Americans, sitting outside after sunset as the evenings start to draw in! Next up, the Seven Stories article!
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Journal 50 rocks!! I just get it a little late, as the distance to ship it is much farther! But I got it yesterday. With my exams coming up ( I've said that before I KNOW!! :) :oops: ) I didn't have much time to read it, but I finished off Poppy's article. Coooooooooooool really! I loved all the description, and feel as if I know Poppy for real now, with the photos and all.

On the other articles now... can't wait!!

Btw, how can I write for the journal, I mean, should I PM Tony or someone?
You can call me Sunskriti!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've only read one article so far - Anita's about the 1980 updated Noddy books. Well Done Noddy! is my favourite Noddy book which I've had since a child, so it was especially interesting to read the comparison of this book.

One or two thoughts I've formed from Anita's comments. I absolutely loved Noddy when I was little, but I do wonder if being introduced at the 'right' age is important. I don't remember when I got my first Noddy book, so presumably I was quite young. I've never enjoyed the FFO books as much as other series, probably because I didn't read them when I was a child, so I do think age can have an influence. The comment was also made about the blandness of some of the rhymes. Again, I wonder if it's an age thing, they are probably not the most sophisticated of poetry, but I can clearly remember as a little girl making up my own music and singing the rhymes. The reduction of the 'spell' rhyme made me shudder - it's probably the best bit of the book! The fact that only the rhyme about Little Miss Bunny was printed I think is a shame as the whole point of the shortness of this rhyme compared to the one about Mr. Tubby Bear was that she said she wouldn't be able to remember anything longer.

To exclude Big Ears' lesser worries seems ridiculous as the whole point of that was to lead up to the final BIG worry. I also think the ommission of the Milkman tapping Noddy's head is a shame - it's one of the 'catch phrases' of the series.

I've just had a quick check of my daughter's 1992 version of the book, and thankfully sanity seems to have returned. I don't think this book contained any references to Gollys, but the front cover has been altered with Mr. Sparks replacing Mr. Golly, and I wold suspect that words such as 'gay' or 'queer' have been changed, but the rest seems to be the same as my 1970s version. It's even including Noddy's threat to tie Sly to the car and drag him to Mr. Plod. Big Ears even looks round to give Sly "one or two spanks".
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ooops - forgot to say - really good article Anita. I'm now looking forward to reading the rest of the Journal.
Society Member