EBSJ - Forever and a Day

What did you think of the latest Journal?
tix

EBSJ - Forever and a Day

Post by tix »

Apparently £12 of the £14/£16 cost is swallowed up in postage!

The problem is legendary and many times a bid for a coveted auction item has been aborted due to the horrendous cost of transportation to our shores. It was staggering to learn of the amount required for postage of EBSJ compared with the actual cost of the magazine but, supposedly, the services have to keep increasing their charges due to the popularity of emails. All is not lost however in respect to the EBSJ because we have recourse to the Internet.

The postal system usually works very well - my magazine arrives so promptly that I sometimes mention it to the office but in some countries there are subsidiaries that are not quite so organized. Not only would the delivery of an Internet magazine be "instant" in any part of the world, but also the expense negligible (if I've got it right). Copies of EBSJ destined for the mountains of Mumbai or the backwoods of Borneo would arrive in a twinkling instead of taking six, ten, or twelve weeks - or forever!

There's a problem for the traditionalists.

"I like to soak in the bath and peruse my copy."

Certainly.

With advances in technology computers are becoming smaller and more mobile although I would strongly discourage connecting your machine to the wall-socket and settling down in the hot water to enjoy the reading matter. The EBSJ can surprise and astonish and it can even astound, but in the above scenario it might "shock," and that would not be desirable.

Accordingly, there are battery-run computers and even things named "kindles." Now I don't know anything about kindles but I hear they are similar to a book and who knows, the scientists might even manufacture one that's shaped more like an "open" book or magazine because technology is dedicated to our ultimate desires.

I've just revisited a range of articles that feature on the Internet version of "Green Hedges Magazine" and found them quite acceptable with an added treat - yes, those colour pics that would be B&W in printed versions of the mag are all as nature intended them to be. An example is "The Fives' Adventures at the New Park Centre" that contains illustrations (all in colour) of a project some children took part in and they certainly add to the enjoyment.

GREEN HEDGES MAGAZINE ONLINE
ISSUE No.36 - MARCH 2001

C O N T E N T S
1. EDITORIAL LETTER
by Michael Rouse
2. ADVENTURERS THREE
A Most Curious Mystery!
3. ROGUE BLYTON
by Terry Gustofson
4. S S : SUPERB STORIES
by Caroline Honour
5. HARMSEN VAN DER BEEK
6. THE FIVE'S ADVENTURES
AT THE NEW PARK CENTRE
by Stephen Martin
7. THE LUTTERWORTH BLYTONS
by Phil Cockburn
8. THERE'S A GAUL ON THE LOOSE!
by Adelaide La Blanche-Dupont
9. NEWCOMERS TO ST CLARE'S
by Anita D. Bensoussane
10. CRAZY CAPTION COMPETITION
11. NEW ENID BLYTON BOOKS FOR SALE!
Visit the GHM Online Bookstore

"One night, the two girls are awoken by voices and go to explore. They discover some crooks searching for hidden treasure left by a mate, now in prison. The plot also involved a kidnap attempt upon an Indian Princess whose father was a Maharajah visiting England and who collected rare and valuable coins.
The actual writing of the play came very easily to me (I'm pleased to say) and was faithful to the original source. The next thing I did was to write to Michael Rouse (Editor of Green Hedges Magazine) for help. He gladly sent me his best wishes and the address of Enid Blyton Limited, so that I could obtain Copyright permission to produce the play. I sent them a copy of the script, together with information concerning our amateur status, and soon received a positive reply from Pam Ally at Enid Blyton Limited, granting us permission to perform the play _ but, of course, to abide by the Copyright Laws and not use the Enid Blyton trademark signature."

All just as easy to read as a magazine version and with the new-fangled "kindles" plus future technology, there should be no problem.

So, there you are - in the bath, or in bed with an EBSJ and remember to keep thinking about the "Colour" advantage whilst being able to flip from page to page at a touch of the screen or print out any article that would be nice to share with a friend.

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool character from the '50's, then relax. The magazine could be printed out, stapled, and taken into the bath, or to bed, or onto the bus, or to a church meeting, or to the dentist's waiting room, or anywhere for your absolute pleasure.

The need to adapt is unfortunate but it happened with valve radios and the various film gauges such as 8mm, Super 8, and 16mm. Video recorders were also affected, and many other things that we'd become used to because change is inevitable and we have to live with it as I found to my horror when left with 649 cassette tapes containing all of my favourite material! I now have to "adapt" and transfer them (somehow) to whatever the latest version of cassette tapes happen to be.

Furthermore, we are being treated to some excellent fanfic style serial stories on the flat face of the forums anyway and there are links to offshoots that take one to Find-Outer analyses (with pictures), and the recently formed site that contains book reviews and related matter. There are also contributors who post photographs (in colour) on their forum entries, so we're rapidly getting used to the one-dimensional concept.

Logistics? Haven't the faintest idea regarding Internet allowances and space, etc. There's also the feasibility factor considering that Keith is "Up to his Ears" in work these days so another agency might need to "lend a hand." But at least, if an Internet version was possible the terrible postage costs would be eliminated, and once again - think of that colour!

My suggestion is of course just "that" - a Suggestion, but if faced with the choice of an "Internet Magazine," or the snuffing out of EBSJ, I know what mine would be.

Incidentally, someone wanted to know if Timmy was ever on a lead.
Yes he was. It's hinted at on Page#19 of "Run Away Together," and there's also a reference on Page #38 of "Get into a Fix."