Journal 48

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: Journal 48

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I hope she does many more because I'm rapidly becoming a fan of Georgina Hargreaves. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Georgina Hargreaves (assuming it's the same Georgina Hargreaves - I haven't found a link showing the covers or internal illustrations so can't see what they're like) seems to have illustrated a number of classics for Dean & Son including 2000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in Eighty Days, Little Women, Oliver Twist, The Swiss Family Robinson and What Katy Did:

http://www.bookfinder.com/author/georgina-hargreaves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I must try to find the images of these somewhere. Thanks Anita. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm ploughing slowly through Journal 48 which is emerging as one of my favourite issues ever. There is a wonderful depth and variety to the articles in this issue and all of them seem to be just to my taste. :D I'm having to read it slowly instead of devouring it due to a heavy work schedule meaning that I only get an hour each evening.

I really enjoyed Angela Canning's article on the critiscisms of Blyton and agreed with every word she said. A most sensible and understanding article which cuts right through the hysteria and ignorance. Well done Angela.

I also loved Terry Gustafson's article on "The Essence of Blyton". A very interesting and well written examination of just what it is that makes our favourite author so special.

Anita's new installment of the adventures of Mr Twiddle was excellent as always. I loved the long list of hilarious events that our hero finds himself in and his responses. I was struck especially by the one in which he walks through buttercup pollen and thinks he has spilt the egg powder; I'm sure that Enid wrote another story in which a hapless child (or maybe a brownie or something) was sent shopping and warned not to drop anything and was very upset to find his legs covered with yellow powder which he thought was the custard powder but turned out to be infact buttercup pollen. Anyone remember this story?

I enjoyed Looney's contribution and hope we will hear more from Enid's stable of pooches.

And John Lester's article on Enid's Welsh stories was immensely interesting and proved (thankfully) that it was not all "look you" and "whateffer".

I still have Rob Houghton's article and a few bits and bobs left to read but overall, as I said earlier, this has been a most splendid additionto my journal shelf. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:I was struck especially by the one in which he [Mr. Twiddle] walks through buttercup pollen and thinks he has spilt the egg powder; I'm sure that Enid wrote another story in which a hapless child (or maybe a brownie or something) was sent shopping and warned not to drop anything and was very upset to find his legs covered with yellow powder which he thought was the custard powder but turned out to be infact buttercup pollen. Anyone remember this story?
Yes, it's 'Simple Simon Goes Shopping'. I read it as a child in Enid Blyton's Goodnight Stories (Purnell) and it was one of my favourites, perhaps partly because of the bold, quirky illustrations which were a feature of many tales in those books. I mention that story in Part 3 of my article, which deals with various muddle-headed Blyton characters who resemble Twiddle. Simple Simon and Twiddle get into some very similar scrapes. Part 3 is the final part by the way, in case anyone is wondering how long I'm going to ramble on about Mr. Twiddle! :P

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Yes, it's 'Simple Simon Goes Shopping'. I read it as a child in Enid Blyton's Goodnight Stories (Purnell)
Ah yes. Thanks Anita. Yes I had that book too. I think Simon also gets stung and uses the vinegar to cure the sting. In fact he uses up the whole shopping basket in one silly way or another.

I look forward to part three, parts oen and two were great. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, John. Yes, I bet Simon's mother regretted sending him out to do the shopping!

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

What a cracking Journal this is - starting off with a reminder of the Enid Blyton day
from Anita - thank you Anita. Every article is worth reading so many thanks to all the
contributers.
Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

I have a small question: I received the letter for the re-inscription for the society. If I do this now, will I receive the past journal for a second time or not? Thanks for the info!
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I think this has been raised before and I think as you have been sent, presumably, Journal 48. Tony would probably know that he has sent the last journal for the year's subscription you'd ordered. Then if you sent the money when the new journal comes out you will be sent the new journal. Got it?
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Dinah Cunningham

Not 100%. If I send the money now, I won't receive 48? Is that right?
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

If the current one will be sent. I think.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Dinah Cunningham wrote:I have a small question: I received the letter for the re-inscription for the society. If I do this now, will I receive the past journal for a second time or not? Thanks for the info!
Tony keeps track of journals sent to the members, so you won't receive the same edition of a journal two times, even with the reminder for the re-subscription.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Wolfgang is right. Tony keeps track of people's subscriptions, so you can pay now if you wish and the payment will cover Journals 49, 50 and 51.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham

Thanks Anita and Wolfgang.
So I will be signing up again in the next few days.