Journal Postal Increases

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal Postal Increases

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:I'm sure this is not at all a sensible solution - but - presumably stamps bought now will still be valid after the rise has occurred?
I am prepared to listen if you have a better solution.
I think Fiona was querying if her suggestion was a sensible solution, not yours, Tony!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sixty pages still sounds like excellent value for money to me.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:I'm sure this is not at all a sensible solution - but - presumably stamps bought now will still be valid after the rise has occurred?
I am prepared to listen if you have a better solution.
I think Fiona was querying if her suggestion was a sensible solution, not yours, Tony!
Yes, Nigel - I was saying my suggestion was a dubious one given the amount you'd have to outlay in advance for the stamps, and the fact they'd be no use for overseas journals.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Unfortunately it is the overseas Journals that are causing the problem with such a horrendous percentage increase. The UK increase is only about 20% and quite manageable and as you say for latecomers and new subscribers I can and have stocked up with stamps, although when I did so I was thinking about the weight of and 84 page Journal!
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I'm allowed to get the journals! My mum said yes!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's good to hear. I hope you enjoy them. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's wonderful, Abi. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
mikki
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find Outers and The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Julian, Fatty and Kit

Post by mikki »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Unfortunately it is the overseas Journals that are causing the problem with such a horrendous percentage increase. The UK increase is only about 20% and quite manageable and as you say for latecomers and new subscribers I can and have stocked up with stamps, although when I did so I was thinking about the weight of and 84 page Journal!
I count as overseas as far as Royal Mail are concerned, even though geographically I'm within the British Isles, but I don't care how much the postage goes up to, the Journal is still wonderful value :)
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tony, you mention it is the overseas postage that is of concern to you. I think you will find most of us passionate EB fans from overseas are very grateful to have access to the likes of the Journal and expect to pay more so whatever the increase in postage is we will accept it. We are used to needing to pay more for most of our EB collections due to less availability outside of the UK.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

7upromana01 wrote:I'm allowed to get the journals! My mum said yes!
That's great, 7up!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for you comments, Sue. At present the worldwide subscription is £14 and almost £12 of this will now go to postage. I haven't done anything about changing the subscription yet for two reasons. Firstly there are already a number of people who have have already subscribed at the present rate for the next two or three Journals and secondly, I sent out all the renewal forms before I knew of the increase, so if someone has a renewal form with £14 on it they would not be pleased to see that PayPal is asking for more. However I will be putting the subscription up in July as we obviously can't afford to keep sending overseas Journals at a loss.

I appreciate that enthusiastic people like yourself and Mikki who have subscribed for many years will realise that this is necessary, but there are many others who have just a casual interest who are already not resubscribing at the current rate, so I dread to think what an increase might do to our numbers of overseas subscribers, which is currently about 25% to 30% of our total. I guess time will tell.

It is worth adding that I will not be raising the UK Subscription, this is £10 and £3.50 of this is needed for postage.
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

7upromana01 wrote:I'm allowed to get the journals! My mum said yes!
Good for you, Abi! :lol:

I personally wont mind if the subscription costs go up, as the journals really are great. I really enjoyed Bill's Diary in last Summer's journal by Terry Gustafson - will it be coming on again? Also, I subscribed last Summer, so when would you advise I should resubscribe as I don't really want to get two of the Journal 47?

Aaron :D
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Loony the Dog wrote: when would you advise I should resubscribe as I don't really want to get two of the Journal 47?
When its time to resubscribe Tony will send you a resubscription form with the final journal of your current subscription. The fastest and easiest way to do it is to use the paypal option from the homepage of the website.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Loony the Dog wrote:I really enjoyed Bill's Diary in last Summer's journal by Terry Gustafson - will it be coming on again?
The next installment is too long for the Journal, so we're hoping that sometime in the next few weeks Keith will be able to add it to the Secret Passage so members can read it there instead.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: we're hoping that sometime in the next few weeks Keith will be able to add it to the Secret Passage so members can read it there instead.
Along with the next serial! :|
Society Member