Journal Postal Increases

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal Postal Increases

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The trouble is that putting up the subscription will make some readers think twice about continuing to subscribe, even though the Journal is great value for money as you say, Julie. I wonder how much difference it would make if we implemented Tony's suggestions about cutting out the colour on the centre pages (not necessarily for every issue - perhaps colour could be reintroduced for one issue in every three, or something like that?) and reducing the page count somewhat.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think cutting out the colour page is a useful idea as is reducing the number of pages. There are 20 more now than when I started getting the Journal at about number 20. It is amazing value and anything to keep it going is worth trying.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is a tricky problem, but the raw facts are that the current world subscription is £14 and after the 30th April almost £12 of this will be swallowed by postage. It is a Catch 22 situation as an increase in subscription fees will lead to a decrease in those subscribing and we will end up with the same amount of income as at present. Fortunately there isn't a new Journal due until July which gives time for thought.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Would it help if the journal was done only twice a year, for the same subscription?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Now that is an excellent idea- we would still have a few editions the journal through the year to look forward to.It would help with all the rising costs,and give Tony a bit less work to do.

I sincerely think that is a brilliant idea Julie.In todays difficult economic climate,we do need to adapt,adjust,tighten our belt and be willing to make sacrifices to keep the things that are precious to us.

What about having a poll about that idea ?

I for one am 100 per cent with that idea-it seems to solve so many problems of finace,rising costs,workload,etc etc...

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

pete9012S wrote: I sincerely think that is a brilliant idea Julie.
Pete

Nice of you to say so, Pete. But of course our 'great leader' decides these things. I just thought it was one option that may be considered. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I thought of that the other day too as I was mulling the situation over at work. Reducing the journals to two per year might even allow a small price decrease of a pound or so which would surely be a great selling point. Although that might prove awkward later so maybe not. It is a conundrum really, how to make people appreciate what they have got in this magazine. Will any of these non-resubscribers be at the day in May? Maybe Tony could get up on stage and make an explanation of the difficulties and appeal for them to resubscribe at the society stall.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:Will any of these non-resubscribers be at the day in May? Maybe Tony could get up on stage and make an explanation of the difficulties and appeal for them to resubscribe at the society stall.
A great suggestion, John. :D Anything that encourages people to take out a subscription or renew an existing subscription would be most helpful.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Lucky Star wrote:Will any of these non-resubscribers be at the day in May? Maybe Tony could get up on stage and make an explanation of the difficulties and appeal for them to resubscribe at the society stall.
In theory this is a good suggestion, John, but in practice those who buy tickets for the Day are also those who tend to resubscribe. At present there are just 10 of these and that number will go down before the Day itself, with a few deliberately leaving it until then as they do every year. As far as new subscribers are concerned it is barren territory and recent Days have seen no new subscribers. The best we can do is to have Journals on display to try and tempt them.
Tony Summerfield

With just over two weeks to go until the big increase I have given this problem a lot of thought. With a large number of people having already subscribed to the next three Journals, and a further 140 resubscription forms still out there all listing the current rate, I have decided that for the moment I cannot increase the subscription charges and for the next three issues I am stuck with them.

The best way to counteract this is to reduce the size and hence the postal weight of the next three Journals. These will now revert to the original size of 60 pages. I may overrule myself on this when I get to Journal 50 as I would like this to be a special issue, always assuming that I haven't sacked myself as editor by then!! By reducing the weight I can maintain the current overall postage bill at its present level and assuming that we have enough subscribers I can continue to provide a coloured centre page.

When I send out Journal 48 in July, both the European and Worldwide subscriptions will be going up, but the UK subscription will stay at its current price. Sadly this is necessary because of disproportionate rises in overseas postal charges.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm sure this is not at all a sensible solution - but - presumably stamps bought now will still be valid after the rise has occurred? So theoretically one could stock up on hundreds of first class stamps at the current price and then use them after the price increase, thus saving money?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I believe Tony has already bought several books of stamps to use on Journals which are sent out a few at a time to new or late subscribers. I must admit to having bought nearly £30-worth of stamps myself too this week, for personal use over the coming months/years. However, when he sends off the bulk of the Journals (about 350 at once, I think), the post office stick the postage labels on (that's what they prefer to use rather than stamps because their profit is higher if they use labels) and they also put on the customs labels which are required these days for Journals being sent abroad. Tony used to stick the stamps on as well as getting all the Journals and flyers ready, putting them in the envelopes and addressing them (which of course he still does), but it was an extra job and took up a lot of time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Fiona1986 wrote:I'm sure this is not at all a sensible solution - but - presumably stamps bought now will still be valid after the rise has occurred?
I am prepared to listen if you have a better solution. By reducing the weight worldwide Journals will cost £3.30 instead of £3.90. In theory I could do this by sticking six stamps on each, but there is another problem as Royal Mail now require a customs declaration form on all of them and I think this would have to be done by the Post Office. My last bulk posting was actually 440 Journals.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Reducing the Journal to it's former proportion is a good idea in the circumstances. It used to be 64 pages when I first got it and the price hasn't gone up at all in all those years. It will be still be well worth the money. Thank you Tony for trying to do the best for everyone.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Given the combination of circumstances with which you find yourself lumbered Tony, I feel that this is the most sensible path you could have chosen. As Daisy said, thank you for all that you do and for continuing to negotiate these rocky waters on our behalf.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member