Journal 47

What did you think of the latest Journal?
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Re: Journal 47

Post by shadow »

Katherine I'm not sure but I don't think that the Latimer House reprint has Hilda McGavin as the illustrator. I am sure there was a thread somewhere that discussed the various editions, as I have a Newnes copy which Tony thinks was published a couple of years after the news chronicle one. I can't seem to locate the thread but maybe someone else can? The Newnes ones seem to come up on ebay a bit more regular than the News chronicle one and aren't that expensive. Mine is missing it's dustwrapper and one of the colour plates but only cost 99p. It is a heavy book and you may find the postage costs are quite steep. Well worth getting though, a lovely book.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Shadow, I'll bear that in mind when looking out for a copy. I don't mind not having the illustrations if the book is very cheap, as it's the story that's the important thing, but I'd be a bit disappointed if I'd paid a lot for the book and discovered it didn't have the appropriate illustrations.

I don't buy books from E-Bay very often due to the cost of postage, although I have made a few good purchases, mainly of thin books.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

shadow wrote:I'm not sure but I don't think that the Latimer House reprint has Hilda McGavin as the illustrator.
According to the Cave, the 1949 Latimer House edition has illustrations by R. Webster. I'm pretty sure that's the edition I've got - I'm too lazy to check as it's on the back row of a double row of books! Mine doesn't have a dustwrapper but I was mainly interested in reading the story, which is heartwarming. I first read it on the train on the way to an Enid Blyton Day some years ago and it did a great job of putting me in a suitably "Blytonian" mood!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

The new journal arrived yesterday evening, and as always, it is great! The cover illustration of Mr. Twiddle, and especially Anita's article on the same character really brought back memories. I think I was given a Twiddle book for a birthday once, and I read it over and over again. My particular favorite was a story where Mr. Twiddle goes shopping with a specific shopping list from Mrs. Twiddle. Though he messes up as usual, this time it actually has positive consequences. I used to read this story over and over again. Thanks for that article, Anita. I had almost forgotten how much I loved Mr. Twiddle. I also enjoyed Blyton's own "A Fairy Punishment". Charming story. The articles on governesses in Enid Blyton, and the one on "Those Dreadful Children" were both very insightful. Now I am off to read the rest of the issue.

Thanks Tony for another great issue! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ah yes - the story about the shopping list is 'Mr. Twiddle Goes Shopping' from Well, Really, Mr. Twiddle! A lovely, warm tale, quite cleverly worked out.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

An interesting Journal as it contains much of what doesn't interest me in Enid's work. Therefore, I am reading articles of books that I am not familiar with. Maybe I should take a look at some of these stories - I have the books, but have never read them!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well.they say all good things come to those who wait...

Back in The Journal 34 thread:
Postby Petermax » 19 Nov 2007, 18:35
Petermax wrote:
Now I wonder if someone could write an in depth thesis about Mr Twiddle?
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... l&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petermax finally gets his wish! :D
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Having immersed myself in the world of Twiddle in order to write about him, it was fantastic to see the cover of Journal 47 simply teeming with Twiddles in full colour!
Great journal,lots to read about and enjoy as usual. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Another bumper issue of the journal - I echo the comments that I don't know how Tony manages to amass something different every time. I haven't had chance to read it all yet, but I particularly enjoyed the piece on Those Dreadful Children which I have never read - now keen to get an old copy from ebay if there are any available. It sounds like one of Enid's great family stories.

My only disappointment so far is that there is no further entry from "Bill's Diary" from Terry - I had hoped this would continue with the Valley of Adventure next. If you are reading this, Terry, we want the whole series please from Bill's perspective. It makes a great read!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm slowly making my way through the journal, having been ill for 5 days after it arrived!

I enjoyed the article about Eileen Soper's life. I knew a little about her from other journals and discussions on the forums etc. but it was lovely to find out more. I can't say I'd have been so charitable to the birds and mice had I been in her shoes!

Like Anita, I link Mr Meddle and Mr Twiddle in my mind - so much so in fact that I've listed them both under 'fantasy' in my catalogue :oops: . Meddle belongs there, being a pixie, and having magical elements to some stories, but Twiddle doesn't! I'll have to find a new place in my catalogue for him. I've only got the one Twiddle book (Don't be Silly) but I did enjoy reading it, and keep an eye out for the others on eBay, but so far any ones for sale are either very expensive or the one I already have.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

pete9012S wrote:Well.they say all good things come to those who wait...

Back in The Journal 34 thread:
Post by Petermax » 19 Nov 2007, 18:35
Petermax wrote:Now I wonder if someone could write an in depth thesis about Mr Twiddle?
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... l&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petermax finally gets his wish! :D
:lol: Well spotted, Pete!

It's nice to know there are quite a few Twiddle fans on here! I hope you're feeling better now, Fiona.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks, Anita. I have recovered and also finished the journal! I enjoyed Robert Houghton's piece on Those Dreadful Children as I felt much the same as he did about the Carltons when I read it as a child. It was only on further readings I began to wonder just who the dreadful ones were! I look forward to part 2. I have to take issue with one of his points though - why is it so unbelievable that a four or five year old could count to 100?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The Journal never disappoints and number 47 is no exception. A most enjoyable read. I loved Anita's Mr Twiddle article especially the last page and a half which dealt with how the Twiddles got on in wartime. And yes he and Mr Meddle do also remind me very much of Frank Spencer.

I was very interested too in John Lester's article on The Princess and the Goblin. It's a book I think I would like to read, just to see where Enid got some of her inspiration from. And I'm very intrigued by that "dark" sequel; I think I'd like to read that as well.

It was great to see plenty of writing from Enid herself in this issue and I particularly enjoyed A Fairy Punishment and They Showed a Light. These stories would probably never be seen or heard at all these days if it were not for the journal. As usual though I was less than impressed with the adult story, Trumped. I just dont feel that adult stories were Enid's strong point.

I enjoyed Rob Houghton's article as always and Angela Canning wrote a most interesting piece on Eileen Soper. Dennis T Worley's piece on Governesses was very informative and the advertisements for modern day governesses were illuminating to me as someone who would never imagine having such a thing.

With the usual feast of lovely illustrations on show as well, all in all this is another splendid journal. We are very fortunate indeed to have this publication and it's wonderful and hard working editor Tony. One day these journals will be collectors items in their own right I am sure.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was intrigued by the article on governesses, particularly the last part comparing them with present day childcare providers. I suppose I could call myself a governess - though I'd normally say part-time live-out nanny! Is there a difference between a Nanny and a Governess?

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Another good journal packed once more of interesting items. Thanks to all who contributed. I won't go into all the articles as I enjoyed them all, but I did particularly like Roberts, as I've never read this book and think I'll buy a copy if I see one at the E.B. Day. I loved Enid Blyton Writes On Noddy. The fact that it was just 2 days before Christmas and Enid describing how the cards fell off the shelf every time the door opened, you could almost imagine Christmas at Green Hedges. :) I wonder if Enid's picture was in the T.V Times too. And Enid's account of the Cruise of the Good Ship Stella Polaris, that was good to read, as usual Enid really takes you there.

I was enthralled with Angela Canning's article of Eileen Soper. Eileen was really keen on wild life and nature, as I am, and I loved the way the small animals and birds came into her home. I guess she didn't bother with housework! :lol: What a truely remarkable lady she was.

A good journal, thanks, Tony.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote: Is there a difference between a Nanny and a Governess?
Without checking (which you are able to do!), I believe a governess' role includes an amount of teaching, whereas a nanny looks after a young child - baby upwards.

Sally: All comes to she who waits! :wink:
Society Member