Magazines.

What did you think of the latest Journal?
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Magazines.

Post by MJE »

Hullo.

One or two of the administrators may have noticed that I recently joined the Society formally. I had been meaning to do this for years, actually, but I have severe problems with putting things off - almost pathologically, and that's really the only reason I didn't do it years earlier. (That is also the reason for the decrepit state of my web site now, so badly out of date that I don't think I will ever be likely to catch up with it now.)
     I understand that members get the Society's magazine sent to them regularly (that's where the password is found).
     What I'm wondering is this: are back copies available for sale, and how far back do they go, and what would they cost? Can anyone advise me on this, please? I am seriously interested, and perfectly willing to pay for back copies.
     I suppose far from all will be available. And there was another magazine which actually finished around 10 years ago, wasn't there? (I forget its name, but I think its editor died around that time, sadly.) I suppose there wouldn't be a hope of getting any of those now, would there? (From the Society, or any other source.)
     If these are not available, I wonder whether it is feasible to hope they will one day be scanned and placed on a web site. I suppose I do prefer reading from paper copies of anything; but on-line is certainly better than nothing - and it might be possible to print them out anyway, if the files don't have printing blocked.
     Could this happen one day if enough people express interest in the idea? For myself, I would like to have complete sets of both magazines, in one format or another - there must be a wealth of interesting stuff in both of them, and it would be a shame if all that was just lost for ever.
     Is it worth looking for old copies on eBay? - or are they just not to be found now?
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.
Last edited by MJE on 01 Aug 2011, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Magazines.

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome to the Society, Michael!

You might like to peruse the online shop, however, many of the earlier Journals are sold out.
And there was another magazine which actually finished around 10 years ago, wasn't there?
Green Hedges Magazine?
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Welcome to the Society!

Back copies of SOME editions can be found here http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/shop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, though most are sold out. Tony really doesn't turn a profit on these and he has already said it would be very unlikely that they would ever be reprinted, though, he has contemplated making the articles from them available online to the Society subscribers.

The journals can be bought on eBay, if I remember correctly an eBay shop by the name of Glyn Noddfa Books usually has some (at around £5 each), and various other sellers occasionally sell them for that sort of price (which is more than subscribers pay!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Drat! I've been caught typing at the same time as someone else again! Why do I always come second and look foolish? :|
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Moonraker wrote:Welcome to the Society, Michael!
     Thank you.
Moonraker wrote:You might like to peruse the online shop, however, many of the earlier Journals are sold out.
     A pity. I'll take a look, though.
Moonraker wrote:Green Hedges Magazine?
     Yes - that was it. I wasn't quite sure if I remembered the title correctly.
     I guess that one would be a hopeless cause, would it? A real, real pity. On-line one day, perhaps?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Fiona1986 wrote:Welcome to the Society!
     Thank you.
Fiona1986 wrote:Back copies of SOME editions can be found here http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/shop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, though most are sold out. Tony really doesn't turn a profit on these and he has already said it would be very unlikely that they would ever be reprinted, though, he has contemplated making the articles from them available online to the Society subscribers.
     I hope so. I wonder whether it would be relatively easy to scan them and made .pdfs out of them. Or is it more complicated than that?
Fiona1986 wrote:The journals can be bought on eBay, if I remember correctly an eBay shop by the name of Glyn Noddfa Books usually has some (at around £5 each), and various other sellers occasionally sell them for that sort of price (which is more than subscribers pay!)
     I guess there's a scarcity factor now - they're collectors' items.
     Is that a good price for them? Would many people consider them interesting enough to pay that price for them?

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Fiona1986 wrote:Drat! I've been caught typing at the same time as someone else again! Why do I always come second and look foolish? :|
     It happens sometimes; but you don't look foolish at all - you made a useful suggestion, for which I thank you.

When I finish tonight, again I will be silent (or mostly so) for several more days. In case anyone wonders why I've disappeared. I don't know if they will - but they have done so on the Yahoo group. And I could also go through a down period here, just as I have sometimes done on the Yahoo group.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I would say they were worth £5 certainly, but it irks me that the money, along with an actual profit goes to the seller and not to the Society.

The other issue would be that a lot of articles in the journals are part of a series. If you bought a random journal, you may find yourself desperate to get hold of the previous one, or the following one to be able to read the whole story.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Fiona1986 wrote:I would say they were worth £5 certainly, but it irks me that the money, along with an actual profit goes to the seller and not to the Society.
     I suppose that can't be helped: those copies are now out in the public market place, and sellers will do what they will.
     I wonder how they end up there. Do Society members usually keep their copies, or regard them as disposable, and get rid of them once they've read them? I suppose at least some of them must have sold them - or possibly died and their copies disposed of afterwards.
Fiona1986 wrote:The other issue would be that a lot of articles in the journals are part of a series. If you bought a random journal, you may find yourself desperate to get hold of the previous one, or the following one to be able to read the whole story.
     Well, that may be okay, if I keep looking for others. In general, I don't always get to read things immediately after I buy them, anyway.
     I guess the question is: do I have a reasonable chance of getting a complete set eventually, if I keep looking? If the answer is "No", I wonder if I should save myself a lot of heart-ache and not even start collecting them.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote:Back copies of SOME editions can be found here http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/shop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, though most are sold out. Tony really doesn't turn a profit on these and he has already said it would be very unlikely that they would ever be reprinted, though, he has contemplated making the articles from them available online to the Society subscribers.
Yes, Tony is working on making the early Journals (i.e. the first ten or perhaps the first dozen) available as PDF files in the Secret Passage.
Fiona1986 wrote:The journals can be bought on eBay, if I remember correctly an eBay shop by the name of Glyn Noddfa Books usually has some (at around £5 each), and various other sellers occasionally sell them for that sort of price (which is more than subscribers pay!)
I too have seen Journals popping up on eBay, either individually or as small runs of consecutive issues. It should be possible to collect the majority of them with patience and perseverance.
MJE wrote:Do Society members usually keep their copies, or regard them as disposable, and get rid of them once they've read them?
Speaking for myself, I find the information in the Journals invaluable and wouldn't dream of getting rid of them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

MJE wrote:      When I finish tonight, again I will be silent (or mostly so) for several more days. In case anyone wonders why I've disappeared.
It is always a pleasure to read your posts, Michael. Haste ye back. :)
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:
MJE wrote:      When I finish tonight, again I will be silent (or mostly so) for several more days. In case anyone wonders why I've disappeared.
It is always a pleasure to read your posts, Michael. Haste ye back. :)
I second that. The last week or so has been extremely interesting with you posting so prolifically. Dont forget about us. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member